Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 11:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Help, I keep getting heartburn!

Quick question - I'm on day 4 of induction and so far so good. Unfortunately I started having some bowel problems yesterday, but I bought some psyllium husk capsules and hopefully I won't be in the bathroom every 15 minutes once it kicks in.

I am however also experiencing Heartburn. To be totally honest, heartburn is something I've only experienced when pregnant. I know for sure that I'm not pregnant, so is this a side effect of the my new WOE? What can I do to help with this this? When I was pregnant I used to pop tums like crazy because I was told it was okay and the Calcium was good - but I'm sure they are loaded with sugar, so not an option for me now. I don't really know much about ant-acids because it's never been a problem (other then when pregnant) and I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks!
Jaya
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 11:29

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions on the heartburn. I had heartburn almost daily before I started Atkins and haven't had it once since I started. You may have a food intolerance to something you are eating. Is there anything you are eating now that you didn't eat or didn't eat much of pre-LC?

Let me know how the psyllium husks work, cause I've had that same problem for 10 months now.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 11:30

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 357/291/175 Female 68 in
BF:52.54%/46.5%/25%

I had heartburn for the first few days. It's probably because the breads aren't there to absorb the extra acid in your stomach. The good news is, that your stomach will stop having to produce so much acid because it isn't all being absorbed by the breads.

I know mine only lasted a couple of days and then I was okay. Hang in there!!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 11:34

BF:

I think it might be the Splenda --- I'm not going to take anything with it today and see if my heartburn abates. (though I've been only drinking one glass a day of Diet Rite and a little in my coffee in the morning.)

If it turns out to be the Splenda, I'm going to be totally annoyed! I can't ingest Nutrasweet because it renders me non-functioning with migraines, so I'll be back to just water again like the last time I did Atkins. Ahhhhhhh!

Gosh, I hope it's not the Splenda!!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 11:36

BF:

Thanks Ellen-mom! Hopefully it's not the Splenda then!!!

Did you take anything to help with the heartburn discomfort?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 11:42

If it does turn out to be the splenda, you can use sweet n' low (which is saccharin, not aspartame).
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 13:46

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

ugh! I am so sorry! I had heartburn everyday until I started also..but now it's gone! I certainly hope it disappears for you also! I am drinking almost only water so far and 1 large cup of decaf coffe in the morning with splenda and cream... oy! I just realized that I've never added that to my food journal!

I hope you feel better soon! Have you tried the atkins shakes? I hear ppl use that for creamer...I got some today but havent tried it yet.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 08:23

BF:

Thank you all for the replies! I couldn't stand it and broke down and took a pepcid a/c gelcap yesterday. But so far, no heart burn today.

LCchickFL I took the psyllium husks and it seems to be working. which is wonderful! YAY!

Wenzday I picked up some Atkin's shakes yesterday and tried it in my coffee today. I think I need some more time to forget what sugar tastes like because it tasted aweful to me! Chances are though, if I try again in about a week, it'll taste heaven sent, so I think I'll wait a little longer to let me taste buds forget things a little more.

I know It's advisable to wait until after the induction is over to weigh in, but I couldn't stand it. This morning I jumped on the scale "just to see" and was ecstatic to see I have lost 5 pounds and today is my 5th day! WooHoo!!!!!! I was very determined before and that just added even more to my determination!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 09:19

Oh good. Where did you get them? (the psyllium).

Woooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooo on your great 5# loss!!! Congratulations!!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 10:05

BF:

Thanks so much LCchickFL

I actually found them in a little mom and pop pharmacy down the street. They lose many of their prescriptions customers to the big chains (because of insurance), so they stock just about every vitamin and suppliment you can think of, to help gain patronage.

I did see on a thread people were able to order them online at http://www.vitaminworld.com and http://www.gnc.com/ (chances are since GNC sells them online, you probably could get them at one of their stores too - or have them order it.).
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 11:24

Thanks. I'll have to check them out AND start eating more veggies.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 14:42

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

could it be the types of meats? do you eat salami? THat will do it for me!
Anxious to hear what it turns out to be....

take care,
M-
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 15:54

BF:

Miss Melis - actually I didn't have salami until today and today is the first day that the heartburn isn't driving me insane. I'm still worried it could be the Splenda. I'm going to drink some diet soda I have that's made with Splenda (can't remember the name of it off hand but the Key Lime tastes just like Sprite! Yummy!) and see if it comes back (gosh I hope it doesn't!!)

I'll let you konw -- keep your fingers crossed for me! It's going to get reeeeaaaaalll boring living on whatever I can make with sweet n low.