Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 20:04

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Doctors are SO stupid! grrr!! someone help me here?

Okay first I was getting blood work done for arthritis (they were worried because Im only 18...). They didnt see any of that but my thyroid readings came back high..I think it was high? Whatever, they think I may have a hyperthyroid. This has been all over a course of a year or so. Since I started eating LC (about 4 months now) all my joint pains have gone away. ALL of them. I wasnt very over weight, only 10lbs or so. So I know it wasnt any excess weight giving me pain. I thought maybe diet soda (aspartame) was doing it, but I added a few here and there and no change. So what gives? Could I have been allergic to...carbs? Haha I just got more bloodwork done today and theyre supposed to be calling soon with results from that, and a definate yes or no about the hyperthyroid. Im anxious to know whats going on, help me!

Last edited by el corazón : Tue, Aug-19-03 at 20:17.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 08:12

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

When you say your "thyroid levels" were low, I'm assuming they were checking your TSH levels? If that's the case, too much TSH is HYPOthyroid, as in you don't have enough thyroid hormone in your body. When you don't have enough, you have problems losing weight, you feel tired, you have dry skin, and a whole host of other problems.

HYPERthyroid is too much thyroid hormone, indicated by low TSH levels.

And yes, you can essentially be "allergic" to carbs. Maybe your insulin resistant? Maybe you're devoping diabetes? Who knows, really, until the docs run more tests. But in any case, eating more carbs does cause a lot of people to feel more achy because it increases your inflammation response.

Just keep on lowcarbing and talk to the doc abour all your concerns.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 09:33

BF:

They said I may have a hyperthyroid. What is insulin resistant? Thanks for the response
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 17:07

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I can't say that I've ever heard of someone being allergic to all carbs in general, although many people do have true food allergies, but I have heard of many people who are carb intolerant which simply means that your body doesn't like them and responds to them by making you feel bad in a variety of ways (tired, indigestion, diarrhea/constipation, aching muscles and joints, etc...).
Insulin resistance is when you have had too much insulin in your bloodstream for too long, usually as result of a diet that is high in high glycemic carbs or just plain too high in carbs in general, and after a while the cells of your body become "immune" or resistant to the effect of the insulin causing your body to need more and more insulin to do the job that less once did. This is often referred to as Syndrome X, which has a variety of symptoms including, but not limited to, high blood pressure, obesity, high triglycerides, high LDL and low HDL. Too much insulin can also aggravate inflammatory conditions by driving eicosanoid production in the wrong direction. A blood test that meaures how much insulin you have in your bloodstream would be the best way to diagnose insulin resistance along with the presenting symptoms.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 22:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/195/178 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Something's off here

Pretty unusual for a person with an "overweight" problem to be hyperthyroid. Perhaps they, said or meant to say "hypothyroid" meaning an underactive thyroid gland. which is not uncommonly associated with weight gain.
One of the thyoid function studies known as "TSH" goes UP when your thyroid function goes DOWN. Maybe that is the one that was elevated!. Since you have had your tests done again, hopefully things will make more sense soon
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 10:07

BF:

i wasnt really *overweight*. doc told me to be careful (that was at my highest weight of 149...and i was playing basketball 4 days a week, plus games...) though i would think if i had a HYPERthryoid i would have been skinny no matter what i ate! hmm!