Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 18:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/137.5/113 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default reworking

Firstly, JV1311 I am soooo envious that you have that glorious freedom to work out TWICE in one day.WOW I've got two little ones and I'm just droolling over the thought.

So the question is what exactly do I do for my cardio. I've been doing interval training and I thought I read somewhere that a solid 20 minute session alternating high intensity for a minute or two and then backing off for a minute was good. Nat, is that a BFL thing?

I like to do both cardio and lifting in one workout because the truth is I hate the cardio and always feel obligated to do it. I use the lifting as sort of a reward for making it through.

Also, any ideas on ways to work on those hip areas? I'm doing side crunches with weight but that feels like the obliques rather than the hips. I know I can't spot reduce but I don't think I've got any muscle there at all.

Nat, My girls want to know the names of the cats please.

Kim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 21:57
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I have 2 little ones too. A 3 year old and a 7 month old. What I do to workout is sneak out before everyone is awake and my SO can watch them, or I sneak off on my lunch break or before they get out of daycare

The body fat scales are not completely accurate, but they can be a good average kind of thing. I find they do extreamly well on the weight part though.

One example I checked my weight and body fat. I then went and watched a movie while laying down, drinking my water and eatingnothing. When I rechecked my BF% a hour and half later I was down 1 pound and up 2% bodyfat. As long as I see a gradual decrease in the numbers though I know some swings are normal. Salt intake can also play a part as I can go up 5% some times and I know the culperate is higher sodium for that day. I think the fact water replaces fat in the cells before they completely empty effects it too.

Check out the Body for Life section. It has specific workouts. You can also try the 8 week program (It's by beach body, but I can't remember the name) where it sets up a specific schedule for you to follow alternating cardio and weight days.

I don't really want to look like Chyna either. Some of those more recent wrestlers (I don't watch anymore so no clue on thier names) though I wouldn't mind. They are muscular, but long and sleak, that is the look I want more then bulk. I think after 2 c-sections I will have to accept my pooch though and learn to live with it One thing I do respect Chyna for though, when she got implants she came out on television and announced it, showing off. She didn't try the "Magic growth overnight" trick so many stars do.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 06:36
Registered Member

Stats: 230/132/119 Female 5'2"
BF:48%/a lot/16%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
I don't really want to look like Chyna either. Some of those more recent wrestlers (I don't watch anymore so no clue on thier names) though I wouldn't mind. They are muscular, but long and sleak, that is the look I want more then bulk. I think after 2 c-sections I will have to accept my pooch though and learn to live with it One thing I do respect Chyna for though, when she got implants she came out on television and announced it, showing off. She didn't try the "Magic growth overnight" trick so many stars do.

LOL at the "Magic Growth Overnight"... Chyna totally took steroids though. One look at her jaw and you can see it.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 08:07

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by krc
So the question is what exactly do I do for my cardio. I've been doing interval training and I thought I read somewhere that a solid 20 minute session alternating high intensity for a minute or two and then backing off for a minute was good. Nat, is that a BFL thing?
Kim, if you're doing the intervals now and you'd like to change it up or modify it (a good idea IMHO) try the odd longer slower session. HIIT is what you're talking about - alternating intensity for a minute, or 30 seconds and then backing off again. BFL is a little different, it's intervals, but you don't go all out until the last one. I've seen quite a few recommendations to do a couple of HIIT sessions a week and one other different type of cardio slower and less intensely, for variety.

If you're doing a 20 minute HIIT-like session then weights is still doable, most workouts are around 45 minutes, keeping you near 60 minutes.

You know what makes my hip flexors ache? Incline leg raises - exrx.net has a host of exercises for this area FYI.

BTW, Kim, if you're not crazy about cardio cutting down a little and / or taking a break isn't a bad thing, IMHO, it's better than too much, especially if you're trying to preserve lean mass.

No kids certainly makes the whole selfish workout thing easier - but the cats do try to take part, they love ab day. Orange one is Elvis (aka Guido, The Hoover, Garbarator) the tabby is Maxwell (think "princess" )

-Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 06:33
Registered Member

Stats: 230/132/119 Female 5'2"
BF:48%/a lot/16%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by krc
Firstly, JV1311 I am soooo envious that you have that glorious freedom to work out TWICE in one day.WOW I've got two little ones and I'm just droolling over the thought.
Kim

I don't workout twice a day. I have 3 jobs just to make ends meet. I know people who prefer to workout twice a day though, once before work once after work. I usually go midmorning when one of my jobs is slower, then come home, work more, then do job #2, then go teach adult education in the evenings when I am not doing my volunteer work in the evenings.