Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 09:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default New To the TDC

Hello,

My name is Jaya and I am 29 years old, and am a wife and a mother of 2 daughters (ages 6 and 3).

I've always had weight problems since childhood. When I was a teen I lost 100 pound on Nutrasystem, but the weight started coming back around the same time I was diagnosed with PCOS. A few years later I was also diagnosed with LOCAH and Hypothryoid, and I know these disorders and their meds have not helped matters.

Today is my third day on the Atkin's diet and so far, so good! I have done the Atkin's diet in the past, but unfortunately after losing 50 pounds I went back to my old habits and ways. Back then I was not a big meat eater, so the diet was very tough for me. But I guess my tastes have changed and I have found a new love for red meat, so I know that Atkin's will be much easier this time!

I currently am weighing in at 289 and ideally would like to get down to 180. My ideal weight is around 160 (I was a size 6 when I weighed 160) but for some reason 180 looks more like a nice round attainable number to me and when I get there, I'll more then likely work to get the rest of the way down.

I look foward to getting to know everyone and sharing the weight loss journey with you! I know this is going to be a long trip, but I'm looking foward to the outcome and I know this time I have the strength and willpower to see it through!

Sincerely,
Jaya

Last edited by Plagiomom : Tue, Aug-19-03 at 09:13.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 09:43
Pending Member

Stats: 326.5/279/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Welcome Jaya!! You have found the best place on the internet and the nicest group of people anywhere on earth!! It sounds like you have a great plan and the strength and know-how to get there! Post often and let us know how things are going for you... and take care of yourself -- you deserve this wol!!!

Patty
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 10:04

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

HI! we are almost in the same boat all around! looking forward to getting to know you better!

I am on day 5 and have 2 little ones also... weight lightly less than you but not enough count! I actually think the only diff is that I want to get down to about 135... lol I've NEVER weighed less than 180 and at that time I was in a size 16....a few years ago I was at 220 and in a size 16 though so who knows! WE CAN DO THIS!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 12:40

BF:

Thanks so much for the welcome Patty and Jessica!!

Jessica, how are old are your little ones?

I haven't seen below 200 in many moons. It was such an accomplishment when I was a teenager and got down to 130 --- my doctor recommended that I up my weight a little because that weight did not look good on me, I looked sickly. 160 was ideal for me and I was very happy then with the way I looked and the way clothes fit (and suddenly I had become a guy magnet! ) . I can't believe that I let things go as bad as I did over the years. Grrrrr!

But I'm looking foward to the results of this journey. I know I'm only 3 days in, but so far I've been iron clad and have had no thought of temptation. Of course my well meaning 3 year old is helping in that department too --- I explained to my girls that I was on a diet and why, in simple terms that my 3 year old would understand. Apparently that was a mistake because now my 3 year old says "mommy's on a diet so she won't be fat anymore!" anytime I'm in the kitchen looking for something to eat! But I have to admit, that definitely helps to stay on the straight and narrow!

Last edited by Plagiomom : Tue, Aug-19-03 at 12:41.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 12:43

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Welcome to the forum and to the Triple Digits Club, Jaya!

This is a wonderful place to be when you have a lot of weight to lose. There is so much information here for the taking. Just sit back and click away! There's pages and pages of threads in this area alone that will help you with your endeavor.

And don't forget to check out the recipes area of the forum. That's always a big help.

Good luck!

Donald
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 13:52
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Welcome Plagiomom!

This is a great forum. I get so many ideas and so much inspiration here ... I think it's been instrumental in me sticking to this way of eating for five months.

I wanted to add that I have trouble with the meat aspect from time to time. I was a vegan for a few years, vegetarian for longer than that. I've found that using all these fabulous recipes here and on other low carb sites are great for when I'm just not in the mood for a slab o' meat. (Which, BTW, is sometimes exactly what I want - I've gained an appreciation for a nicely done steak!)

Great job so far! I look forward to seeing your posts.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 14:45
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Welcome! Good advice from good people. Take note! You will do fine!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 18:41

BF:

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome! I really feel like this is an awesome place and I "belong".

Donald, I took yours and Monika's advice and looked through the recipe section and all I can say is holy smokes there are a lot of great ideas! I especially liked the idea I saw for using the Atkin's shake as creamer for coffee. I know I'm supposed to stay away from the big C, but with 2 little kids, who wake up before even the birds do, I need that extra jolt in morning to function. But the problem is, like I always tell my DH, I'm not a coffee drinker - I'm a creamer drinker - the coffee just adds a little flavor and caffeine. And so far, the cream and Splenda have just not been cutting it. So that's definitely an idea I'm going to try.

Monika - I totally know what you mean! I've only just recently found appreciation for a nicely done steak! I have no idea why, but up until a few months ago red meat totally had no appeal to me at all. I lived primarily on poultry, since I don't like seafood. But I had my first Prime Rib a few months ago and wow did that change my attitude!

Thanks so much for the welcome MisterE - I'm definitely taking notes!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 19:36

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

My little ones are 3.5 -My son Alex and 21 months...daughter Noelle. thanks for asking. I dont have to explain to them since they havent a clue really. I am so happy that they will never remember me fat! lol I bet they'll look back at pictures and be shocked! How's that for optimism?!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 06:42

BF:

"How's that for optimism?!"

I think that's an awesome way to look at it! It gives you another incentive to reach your goal!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 11:41

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

Welcome to the group, Jaya! This is a great place to come for support and inspiration. I wish you much success on your journey!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 09:06

Stats: 343/295/160 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi Jaya! Welcome to the TDC. I'm pretty new here too but have found countless pages of useful information and a great support group! Good luck on your journey!