Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 17:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149/146/127 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 14%
Question Hi, any other chocoholics out there?

I just joined and didnt have the time to read all the threads, just wanted to let those who love chocolate....that apart from:
darrell lea sugar free chocolate
expensive Cavalier Belgium no sugar (dark/milk/praline)
I've just discovered Cadbury Lite at coles for $2.25 AUD for an astounding 75grams of goodness....

tho it's making me go to the loo alot....
i actually prefer it than having no loo action in the first place.

Just thought I'll let those aussies know who arent already buying em.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 18:21
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi totolo, welcome,

I used to be the biggest chocoholic in the world. But I've discovered that for me, I do best when I leave all choc alone.

As for the Cavalier Belgium choc, it may be "sugar free," but I think you'll find that it is still pretty high in carbs. And those carbs, unless I'm thinking of another brand, are from fructose. Fructose is technically fruit sugar, and while it is much lower on the glycaemic index than sugar, it is not recommended if you value your health. Have a look at the info in this post.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 18:40

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

Yes, I'm a chocoholic! For a few years I didn't eat any. Now I'm back on it. I am working on reducing it or getting off. When I ran out of carbolite bars and endulge, etc. about a week ago, I didn't buy any more, not yet anyway. I especially love the Pure Delite bars. They don't add any nutrients and can't be good for me and they are too addictive. I want to get back to eating real food.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 19:07

BF:

Hi Rosebud....

The Cavalier bars are high in carbs...but most of them are polyols from Maltitol which is not fully absorbed.

The ones I'm talkinga bout only have about 3 grams of effective carbs and are usually available at any healthfood store ranging from $2.45 to $3.30.

And they're only 42grams per bar...So finding Cadbury lite ~ $2.25 for 75grams was a real change, sure it's not as yummy as the belgium stuff....but it's good for a craving.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 19:22
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

G'day again totolo,

Umm, I can't help but notice from your profile that you haven't yet done any reading on low carbing. Once you do, you'll realise that things like chocolate are not allowed on Induction.

You really, really need to buy yourself a copy of Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution so that you'll have a better idea of what you are doing.

All the best.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 21:14

Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

If you want some informative low-carb info in the meantime, go to www.atkinscenter.com, there is information there on what you're allowed/not allowed in the four Atkins stages. It's very educational. Enjoy.

Katt
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 06:43

BF:
Talking

Hi again...
yeh i'm kinda cheap....havent bought a book...
i grab info off the atkins page tho....
it does say to ease off the artificial sugars....i'm just getting my resources together and so that i know what i'm getting myself into before i actually do it properly u know?

I cant live without chocolate....i get physically and mentally ugly without it...thanx for the advice tho
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 08:18

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

I am definitely a chocoholic! I didn't eat any chocolate during Induction, because Dr. A. said not to eat anything that was not on the list of allowable foods; two weeks is, after all, a short period of time. But once I hit OWL, I started working some chocolate into my diet. At first I would whip some heavy cream with unsweetened cocoa and sweetener, but I soon moved on to the hard stuff.

I tried a few of the LC chocolate bars on the market, but didn't think they were that great, plus I try to avoid the sugar alcohols, so I started making my own. There is a thread about making real chocolate in the Sweet Treats section, which was very helpful.

Anyway, I have found that, not only is it possible to make excellent chocolate myself, but that, knowing I can have a bit of something I really like now and then makes it easier to resist the sugar laden alternatives. But that's a YMMV topic. Some people fear that eating sweet things at all could send them off on a binge, so you need to make sure you can stop after eating a small amount of the stuff.

Dr. A. did say that, once Induction is over, you should add carbs in the form of the foods you really want. Admittedly, the best foods to add are veggies and nuts and the LC fruits, but his book does contain dessert recipes, some of them with chocolate. Some people are desperately seeking bread and pasta that doesn't taste like sawdust because that's what they miss, but I prefer chocolate!

Karla
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 18:56
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

I'm onto my third batch of Tamarian's chocolate protein bars....they are to die for! The recipe suggests four serves but I cut mine up into 16 squares and just eat one or two at a time. You'll never want to buy another chocolate protein bar once you've tried these. Here's the link: -

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...te+protein+bars

FYI, a 'square' of baking chocolate is 30g/1oz

Last edited by zedgirl : Tue, Aug-19-03 at 19:42.