Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 11:47

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 191/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Oh, dear, yes!
Progress: 5%
Question Hi, I'm a Hypoglycemic

Hi Everyone,
I'm not a diabetic, but I am a "certified" hypoglycemic. Since I'm the opposite side of the same coin, needing the same dietary changes, may I join in here?

I was diagnosed last November with reactive hypoglycemia. I was put on the traditional diet of high-protein, complex carb, low GI foods, with 6 to 12 small meals a day. Thus, I put on 30 lbs in no time.

Then, my Dr put me on Atkins. My average blood sugar was 60 on Atkins. And I only lost 4 lbs in 5 weeks. So, I've switched over to CAD/CALP, behaving at my Reward meal, and I've lost 4 more lbs in only 1 1/2 weeks! Now, my average blood sugar has been between 90 and 95.

I think that the hardest thing about hypoglycemia is that there is no medication for it -- it's all diet. The good thing is that it doesn't lead to such severe conditions as blindness or loss of extremeties. I do know that by controlling the hypoglycemia now, I may avoid or delay Type 2 diabetes later.

Has anyone else had bad experiences with high fats and their blood sugar? I know that high protein is doing great things for me, and cutting back on the fat has evened out my blood sugar. I also know that everyone is very different where foods are concerned. Just would like to know if anyone has had this problem with either their hypoglycemia or diabetes.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 12:21

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Dee!

No, I have not had any problems with controlling my blood sugars with a high fat diet. Fat in and of itself has no direct impact on blood sugar, however...it can delay the absorption of carbohydrates by up to 5 hours and cause an increase with resulting crash much later after eating than you would have expected it.
As an example, a diabetic friend of mine claimed that they could eat pizza without any negative effects on their blood sugar. They were testing at the usual 2 hour mark after eating. When I explained what a high fat meal mixed with high carbs could do, they decided to prove me wrong by checking 3, 4, and 5 hours after eating 2 slices of pizza, expecting to see blood sugar dropping or at least staying stable. Guess what they found? At the 2 hour mark, blood sugars were within normal ranges, but at the 3 hour mark they were going up, peaking at 4 hours and only beginning to come down again at 5 hours. Needless to say, they don't eat pizza anymore.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 21:49

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 191/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Oh, dear, yes!
Progress: 5%

Hi Lisa,

That could possibly explain what was happening with me. Perhaps I didn't get enough protein on top of the fat to keep my sugar from crashing. I did take readings every hour one day, and just watched it decrease throughout the day. Perhaps an absorption problem? I've never been much of a fat eater.

Thank you. Hope you don't mind me "hanging out" here a bit? I'm working hard at avoiding Type 2 diabetes, and low-carbing is the only way I think will help me.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 23:27

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default I am self diagnosed hypo

I have had some stunning symptoms of hypoglycemia for nearly 10 years.
I have been tested for this and the tests keep coming back negative. I don't care, the symptoms are there and my mom is diabetic. She had hypoglycemic symptoms since, I've known her, which would be 46ish years. She became diabetic just over 20 years ago.

After the positive results from the American Heart Association research on this diet, I decided to go for it. In my opinion, it is important to be able to eat 3 times a day. I believe this because, you are enabling your body to maintain balanced glucose/insulin levels because of the increase of protein. Protein keeps the levels balanced, enabling you to go longer without the shaky feeling and the hunger pains that tend to come every 2 hours. That is what happened to me. So I went on Atkins. I eat 3 meals a day without symptoms. I have increased my variety of foods although, I rarely eat fruit. I eat the foods highest on the nutrition list.
This is a distinctive difference from the way I ate before. I used to never eat avocadoes or red/yellow/orange bell peppers. I ate greens ( mustard, turnip, collards ) as a child because my parents made me eat them. I also eat cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus and salad veggies. My family have not had corn since I have been on this diet and they don't care. So my family is eating healthier eventhough they are not lcing. I have not really added fats but I welcome them. I do not fear them and I have lost 21 lbs. Imagine, I lost weight from treating my hypoglycemia which I am still waiting to be diagnosed for. My bloodwork is perfect

Black
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 12:57

Plan: havent picked one
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress:
Default hi kitten lady! need your help please! thanks!~

hi! i was reading your post about reactive hypoglycemia, i think i may have that as well. though my lows that i have tested have been 70. i have had 3 episodes of passing out. it seems like i eat, and then 2 hours later im feeling dizzy and light headed and emotional and shakey all over again. i have gone through hell and highwater trying to get diagnosed, when finally i had a bad attack when i had a docs appt. and didnt eat, almost passed out and they said it was borderline hypo, im thinking my god if thats borderline, yikes. the think im really curious about too, if you eat too much sugar do you ever feel like your having an attack all over again>? you the tingles the numbness the lightheaded and dizzyness? from testing i have found that if my levels stay at 100 im fine and happy as can be. if they hit over 120 im in lala land all over again. mostly i need to eat something every 2 hours(total pain!) and yep im now at a lovely 180lbs. i was taking phentermine and excersizing and trying to eat less, and lost 12lbs, in 2 months. im not quite sure where i am now since i havent been excersizing, probably 178-180. hopefully not more, im really afraid to get on the scale. if you are not too busy im wondering if you could maybe email me some info on how you are eating and dieting. last time i did low carbs i had really bad low sugar attacks. thank you very much!