Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 15:56

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%
Default Can't have sugar?

A friend of mine who used to eat sugar, now cannot. She says anything with sugar or high glycemic index makes her break out in cold sweats and feel really bad. This is nothing about low carb, I was just wondering why sugar all of a sudden does this to her? She's a very fit person, no health problems seem to be present.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 16:11

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

A person can develop a sensitivity to any food, drug or other substance at any point in their lives.
Still...I'd highly suggest that she pay a visit to her doc to find out if there is some biological cause (hypoglycemia, diabetes, etc...) for her symptoms. Until then...the usual advice my doctor gives me fits here: "If eating that bothers you, don't eat it.".
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 12:47

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Could be awareness, too

I think sugar would make me break out in a cold sweat now, too, after a few months away from it. Funny how you get used to feeling that way and you think it's normal, till it's gone for a while.

I ate tomatos for years and then one day I realized they were causing the cold sores I'd never had before. Don't eat tomatos, no cold sores. Don't know what made that happen, that year, but I do remember my great aunt was the same--only I only knew her after the allergy/sensitivity kicked in.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 13:31
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 125/115/112 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

It could be that your friend is in the beginning stages of Type II diabetes or some other form of insulin resistance... I can remember when all I would eat was sugar and starches, now I get very tired and feel sickly after eating too many carbs in one sitting... It's not something that I want to relive very often, but it does happen on days when I just can't resist... Part of the reason for my feeling awful is the development of gestational diabetes during this pregnancy (a precursor to Type II) and part of it is that my body just isn't used to processing that much sugar all at once anymore, so it kind of goes into shock...

I definitely commend your friend for taking note as to what does and does not make her feel good... Most people that I've encountered tend to follow their stomach and ignore signs that some food just isn't good for you...
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 22:58

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

Thanks for the replies. They refuse to see a doctor, but staying away from sugar. It just baffeled me and I am the type of person that has to know why. Diabetes runs on both sides of her family, so that made me wonder if that is a sign. I have diabetes but don't get ill from sugar.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 18:46

Plan: NeanderThin, Atkins mix
Stats: 131/127/127 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

It sounds like your friend is suffering from a spike (and/or depression) in blood sugar after eating sugar or other high glycemic foods. She could either be feeling the effects of hyperglycemia whereby ingesting carbohydrates causes her blood sugar to spike up, or hypoglycemia, where her blood sugar falls after insulin rushes into her system to combat the sugar. Like Tink said, she could be developing or have developed Type II Diabetes.

When I have high glycemia foods, my blood sugar rises, then can fall suddenly leaving me feeling light headed, cranky, shaky, or not with it at all. When my blood sugar gets really low, I break out in a cold sweat. After that, I can pass out.

The symptoms are different for everyone, but I hope your friend is inclined to see a doctor and have a glucose tolerance test.