Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 22:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%
Default Are LC products false advertising?

After eating a candy bar or energy bar, I cant help but think "how can this only be two carbs?!" The fda is going after these companies for false claims. The 22 other carbs have "minimal impact" , therefore they do have SOME impact. I can understand 2 net carbs and maybe a few other carbs that you dont count, but over 20 seems a bit extreme. I think that eating one is alot better then cheating, they also would be good for traveling. I think the best part about atkins is that it gets people away from processed foods, so I try to avoid them. I personally think they are a scam, and I think they have alot more impact on peoples' blood sugar levels then they claim. Anyone have this theory on these products? I would really like to learn to make my own version of an energy bar to pack with me for skiing and hiking, anyone every attempted this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 23:48

Plan: Atkins-modified
Stats: 230/203/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 42%

I know it seems weird to have 22 grams of carbs magically turn to 2. From what I understand, fiber is only part of the equation, and sucralose is the other part. Sucralose is real sugar, but engineered in such a fashion that its molecules are too big for the body break down and absorb. So instead they pass right through you. This is why these products give some people gas (and other such ailments).

And, different people react to sucralose differently, in that in some they can be stalling agents. I've not seen research on blood sugar spikes after ingesting sucralose, but it would not surprise me if this were true for some people.

I do agree with you that we should try to stay away from processed foods. I used to have the bars and shakes regularly, but now I only have them in a pinch.

-G.

p.s. I have not tried to make my own energy bar. But I do carry sunflower seeds with me. It's handy that you can buy them in small bags. I personally like the Planters brand the best; they are reliably not stale.

Last edited by Gwyn : Sun, Aug-17-03 at 23:52.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 02:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/178/180 Male 68''
BF:?/13%/10%
Progress: 102%

I totally agree with you. One of the great benefits of this WOE is that almost everything you eat is natural and "real". These fake processed foods cannot be good for you. I treat sugar alchohols as full carbs; not only do they stall me, but they kill my stomach. BTW, I am a skier also, and play volleyball and other stuff; and while everyone else is eating their protein bars or drinking their gatorade or juice for energy, I am drinking water - I hate it. The only snack/energy food I can think of that is low carb and portable are nuts. My problem with nuts is that it is really hard for me to eat just a few.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 09:08
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I don't eat them very much, but I do occsionally have them when I am on the run.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 10:45

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyn
I know it seems weird to have 22 grams of carbs magically turn to 2. From what I understand, fiber is only part of the equation, and sucralose is the other part. Sucralose is real sugar, but engineered in such a fashion that its molecules are too big for the body break down and absorb. So instead they pass right through you. This is why these products give some people gas (and other such ailments).

And, different people react to sucralose differently, in that in some they can be stalling agents. I've not seen research on blood sugar spikes after ingesting sucralose, but it would not surprise me if this were true for some people.

I do agree with you that we should try to stay away from processed foods. I used to have the bars and shakes regularly, but now I only have them in a pinch.

-G.

p.s. I have not tried to make my own energy bar. But I do carry sunflower seeds with me. It's handy that you can buy them in small bags. I personally like the Planters brand the best; they are reliably not stale.

I wonder if you're confusing sucralose with sugar alchohols ? That's the ingredient that usually accounts for the big difference between gross and net carbs, not the sucralose.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 10:53

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%

For myself, I can tell you that the Atkins Advantage bars are great-tasting and have never bothered me either in losing weight or maintaining.

In fact, they have been life-saving, b/c I have a raging desire for sweets. I highly recommend them if this is a concern for you. They do not set off any cravings or stalls. For some, they do, so approach with caution.

#7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 15:51
Registered Member

Stats: 201/170/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Me too Jan! The Atkins Advantage bars have been great for me. I dont eat them daily, but once in awhile if I am really craving sweets or sometimes for breakfast I will eat one if I cant face eggs.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 16:29

Stats: 231/191/150 Female 5 6
BF:
Default Atkins bars

I test my blood sugars 4 times per day as a diabetic and have not seen any blood spikes due to eating any of the Atkins bars. I have had the Morning Start apple breakfast bars and also the endulge wafer bars and the peanut butter cups. And not once have they raised my blood sugars and I have lost 12 lbs in 3 wks. They are good for a snack when I am on the go. As a diabetic I must eat several times during the day and these do nicely.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 21:12

Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles

Thanks vernie, I kind of needed some proof ya know. Hmmmm....
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 21:47

Plan: Atkins-modified
Stats: 230/203/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Mancupa said:

Quote:
I wonder if you're confusing sucralose with sugar alchohols ? That's the ingredient that usually accounts for the big difference between gross and net carbs, not the sucralose.

Man, I could be. But, the ingredients on the Atkins bar that I'm looking at as I write this says "sucralose". And it doesn't say malitol or sorbitol or any of the other "-itol" ingredients that usually signify a sugar alcohol.

Oh and I should also mention, Atkins bars have soy protein, which one should probably limit, according to this Web site: http://www.nexusmagazine.com/soydangers.html

All in all, my recommendation is to stay as natural as you on your food plan—and use the bars and shakes in moderation.

-G.