Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-01, 12:12

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 145/134/130
BF:
Progress:
Default What am I doing wrong??

Hi everyone,

I've gained 5 pounds in the last 10 days or so and I'm not sure why. It should not be period related. I'll list my daily menu below. The only thing I've done differently during the past week is added 15 minutes on the Stairmaster to my daily routine of a 30 minute jog.

Breakfast (7am): 1 tin tuna (in water) mixed with 1 tbs of mayo and 3 small mushrooms.
11 am: Chicken salad: cubed chicken breasts mixed with 2 cups romaine lettuce, 1/2 cup green pepper and 1 tablespoon mayo.
3 pm: same salad as above
Dinner: chicken breasts (2 medium) with romain lettuce (2 cups?), 1 tbs mayo, 1 boiled egg.

I drink ~ 5 litres water (I think that = ~ 150oz?).

My clothes are noticeably tighter and I've developed a not-so-cute potbelly.

Does anyone see anything glaringly wrong? Is there anything anyone can suggest I change in order to take off these 5 pounds in 2 weeks (when I go on vacation)?

Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-01, 14:24
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198.5/190 :)/130
BF:
Progress:

hmm...is it possible you're not getting enough calorie intake?? too many carbs will make you stall, but not getting enough calories can actually make your body work in reverse, in other words gain instead of lose. i'm no expert *i leave that to Karen, Doreen, and the rest* but my 2 cents is maybe you're not getting enough calories. whatever i weigh i add another 0 to the end of it (like 1850) and shoot for that many calories a day and it seems to work *when i'm not cheating...heh* so could that be it??

-Red Angel
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-01, 14:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232.4/232.4/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Do you exercise? I think that would help you. I do some cheating (I try not to though) and I still lose, but not as fast. I walk 28 flights of stairs 5 days a week. If you don't do anything but walk, that would probably make a big difference.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-01, 17:30

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 172/155.5/130
BF:
Progress:
Default Sugar?

Look for hidden sugar.Is your mayo sugar free?Check your supplements.Some have cellulose,a form of sugar. Log everything that enters your mouth.Everything.Stay calm-knowing the team will help you as soon as they can should be comfort to you.Joyce
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-01, 20:16
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

From your menu it looks like you're not eating any where near enough fat or enough food. Low-fat combined with low carb is not a good idea. It can take a while to catch up with you, and it may have caught up with you now. Calories should be 10-12 times your body weight, fat should be upped and a few extra carbs wouldn't hurt either. You're only at about 1100-1200 calories with this menu and ingesting more protein than fat.

Is there a specific book or plan that you got the information from to put this way of eating together?

Usually rapid weight gain is water. If you find it still happening after adjusting your diet, it could be something else and you should have it checked out.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 05:52

BF:
Progress:

Thanks to everyone for responding. I do have a hard time getting my head around intentionally eating a lot of fat. I use a lot of mayo - which shockingly has ~ 10 fat grams per serving. I don't know how else to get the fat in......

I will try to up the calories. But I don't see how else I can up the amount of food - at this point, at the end of the evening I feel uncomfortably full.....

Thanks again.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 07:07

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default FAT

I know where you're coming from, after having spent so many years avoiding fat grams it's tough wrapping your brain around the idea they are GOOD for you. This is what I've been doing to get the fat in there:

Butter
1 Tbsp Flax oil added to every salad I make (+ the dressing) (at least one a day)
Nuts and Sunflowerseeds
Heavy cream in coffee (decaf)
1/2 cup 4% cottage cheese at least once a day

Do you like bacon? sausages? red meat?

I agree with Red and Karen, It doesnt look like you're eating enough. I am curious, as I used to work out quite strenuously while doing high carb, do you find it more difficult maintaining your intensity now that you eat low carb? Now that the weather here has finally broken, I will be returning to my nordictrack. I'm wondering what to expect.

Thanks and good luck!
Nat
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 09:02

BF:
Progress:

Hi Nat,

To me its been like trying to change my entire belief system. I'm 28 years old and have probably been watching my weight since I was 15....so that's well over 10 years of believing fat was the enemy! To do a complete 180 overnight is pretty hard...

I also find it really difficult to accept that I'm GAINING weight because I'm not eating enough! I've read the books and know that's what they say and the reasons behind it, but its still quite hard to grasp.

I can probably add in some more butter and red meat. I wonder though...is it the fat that's making me feel so full? If I'm not eating enough actual food, would it make more sense to add in more lower-fat foods??
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 09:37

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default complete 180

I know exactly what you mean. I'd been following a low fat, lots of aerobic activity way of life for over 13 years..... this just didn't jive. At first. But it sure does now.

I'm not sure, but aren't 2 chicken breasts filling? What about replacing some of that protein with good fats?.

As for a 1200 calorie diet, I dont think that would be sufficient when you were not doing low carb if you're running 30 minutes a day and NOW have added the stairmaster. It's not muscle you've gained by any chance, is it? Could 150oz of water be making you feel full? (I drink about 100oz and spend A LOT of time in the washroom..... at 150 you must almost be floating!)

Under the Journals section there are some examples of what others are eating... might that help?

The only other piece of advice I can come up with right now is watch out for low fat.... usually means more sugar and carbs.

Nat
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 09:44

BF:
Progress:
Default fat

The more responses I get and the more I think about it - its probably all in my head. I can't dispute that I've gained a lot of weight in the past 10 days-2 weeks. But maybe its partly muscle....I think the connection I have made between my increase in fat intake and my increase in flab / cellulite during this time is probably a mental one - and its causing me to "see things" in the mirror.

Oh I don't know!! I'm just going to keep chugging along as I have - with some minor adjustments such as adding in a bit more "good fat" etc. and see what happens...thanks again!!