Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-01, 15:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 298/247.5/185 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:36%/23%/12%
Progress: 45%
Default How come I can't see a difference?

Hi everyone. I've been on the Alkins diet since the 7th of last month. I must first say that I am larged framed. My wrist is 8" a round. No one thinks I'm that over weight because I don't look it. I'm 6'1" tall and my starting weight was 298 lbs. I know that sounds like a lot but no one would ever have guess. As off today I weight 276 lbs. I'm happy about what my scale is saying but I really don't notice a big difference in the mirror. I'm still wearing the same clothes and they don't seem to be overly large. I don't get what's happening. Is my scaled screwed?

Dave
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-01, 16:06
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/CKD
Stats: 183/173/135
BF:
Progress:

WOW... a 22 lb loss! Congratulations! I read somewhere (I know, that's vague... but I believe it was Protein Power), that there's fat stored in the muscle tissue as well as around the muscles. Fat stored in the muscle tissue is not as noticeble when it's lost but for some people can be the first to go as it's still extra fat (don't worry, your not losing the muscle tissue). Have you calculated your LBM (lean body mass)? Take measurements in your neck, chest, waist, thighs and calves... maybe you're one of the lucky ones who gains and loses weight all over (as opposed to the waist only) and not just in one area. You may not be noticing the loss yourself, but perhaps others have noticed?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-01, 13:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 224/166/145
BF:
Progress: 73%

I always seem to have a problem with self perception! I lost 58 lbs. since january of this year. I cant see any difference. Although I have gone from a size 24 to a size 14. Everyone says I look great, but I dont see it! I still see that fat girl from high school that is long gone according to everyone else! We are the toughest on ourselves. It takes awhile to see the difference in ourselves! Congrats on the 22lb loss! That is a big accomplishment!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-01, 16:15
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/CKD
Stats: 183/173/135
BF:
Progress:

Christine... you don't notice your amazing accomplishment even a little? I understand perception, or more accurately, mis-perception about one's own body. I have been treated for body dysmorphia... when I was a size 3 (gasp), I saw a size 30 (really) in the mirror. My perception was skewed because I was afraid to see who I was on the INSIDE and I was afraid that someone would discover the horrible me... the grotesque image I saw in the mirror every day. Guess what, I faced me, and I ain't half bad. My fears were much worse than reality (they usually are). Today, I'm a size 16 (down from an 18) and I see a size 16 in the mirror... I'm free. Understand, that there can be many reasons our perceptions are distorted... being the victim of cruel taunting (some people's-especially the adolescent's-perceptions are fantasy-based and are unrealistic), trauma, even vanity (although, that's rare).

The fat girl from highschool isn't gone, but she's staying because you've been acquainted with her so long and you don't want to hurt her feelings because she's been hurt enough (I use the word acquainted because a friend would reciprocate your kindness)... perhaps it's time for you to tell her to leave and take her bad eyesight with her.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-01, 17:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 298/247.5/185 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:36%/23%/12%
Progress: 45%

Thanks. I guess you two are right. Maybe it's because I have a lot of weight that, that 22 lbs doesn't seem like much. I guess if I lose another 22 lbs I might start noticing a differences. (I better or something is wrong*lol*) My friends do say they see a difference but I think they are just being nice.

Dave
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-01, 07:35
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 224/166/145
BF:
Progress: 73%

Thanks for the advice! It is not easy to change your self perception! I cried for hours last night because when I look in the mirror I see a "fat cow" as I like to call it! My family and my husband say I am crazy! They all say I look great and why cant I see it! I think tonite that I will have a farewell party to the "fat" perceptions! Sillyboy, keep up the good work!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 09:26

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default boy image

I know what you all are going through, I, too look in the mirror and see ugly fat . I did that the other day and walked out to my family, my daughter looked up and said "mum, you look pretty". It made me wonder about the differences in what we see about ourselves and what others see. I have a friend who snuck off and had a nose job. When she told me about it, she couldn't believe that I hadn't noticed how "ugly" her old nose was.
I did stand in front of mirror today to see if I could see any difference, below the waist at the front is not much different, but turning side on shows definite improvement in my butt. Look for improvements and congratulate yourself on those.

Cheryl
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-01, 09:44

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Dave-
My advice to you is to take measurements but also take pictures! I bet of you looked at the way you looked before hand and after the 22 lb loss, you would see a difference in the pictures. The mirror is not a good indicator! So, my advice is to take pics and measurements!

Also, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! Your weight loss is great!