Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 08:44

Plan: Back to induction! :-)
Stats: 209/179/150 Female 5'8"
BF:Too Freakin Much!
Progress: 51%
Default sugar-free Metamucil?

Hello All! I have a question, sort of along the same line as one that Humminbird posted recently. It has to do with being....ahem....constipated. I was experiencing that same problem (not necessarily because of starting Atkins, I've ALWAYS had this problem!) and have been drinking one dose daily of the sugar free Metamucil. I just wonder if this is detrimental to my weight loss as it seems I haven't lost anything for a couple of days. Anyone know about this?? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 09:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/147/145 Female 5ft 9
BF:have no clue
Progress: 92%
Default I know what ya mean

This is the post I just made to the other thread

Before I started Atkins the carbs I took in, which was A LOT, backed me up every few days. It was miserable. Not to mention I always looked bloated. The first few days on Atkins were just as awful. *even though I have just officially started Induction I was limiting my carbs just not being hard core* I took some corn husks daily *dont take with multivitamin* and taking 2-3 tablespoons or some times more of flax seed oil. The omegas in it are great for you as well. Since then I have not had a problem. Let me know how things are going. I will try to remember what else I took. I am reading Atkins Vita Nutrients book and learning a lot. My pocketbook is draining however. I am a firm believer now in the importance of supplements.

Added just for you

you may want to try natural ways in which to get things moving before you result to chemicals. I am turning into somewhat of a naturalist now. Although I have no plans to turn into a nudist. LOL! Personally, I would scare the pants off anyone right now naked LOL! This is just a thought. BUT I can say, before I would have thought of natural ways in which to ease ailments was just, well, silly. After all, how could modern medicine be so bad? I have made a huge turn around in my life. I even went as far as buying a pasta cutter so that after induction I can bring a more natural way of eating protein back into my life. It has been a very drastic change in my life, but I havent felt this good since I was a small kid. I basically eat like my mother did when she was a child. She grew up in a very small farm in South Dakota. Going to the grocery store is a riot. I feel like I should be on Little House in the Prarie. Let me know how things go. If you would like I could look up some nutrient solutions for you !
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 09:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

There's nothing wrong with the sugar free metamucil, but you'd save yourself some money by buying plain ground psyllium husk powder.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 09:47

Thanks for the advice legaleagle and Kristine! The metamucil works for me, I just wanted to make sure there weren't any hidden carbs in it. So if I go to the health food store they will have just plain old psyllium husks there? I'm assuming I would mix it the same way as metamucil? One tsp. to 8 oz. water? Now that I am looking at the container of metamucil it does list some things I can't pronounce...assuming these would be the chemicals legaleagle mentioned. I am always interested in *natural* remedies, so anything else you can think of for me would be greatly appreciated! I remember back in the *old days* grandma's used to make kids take Cod Liver Oil....(thankfully MINE didn't do that!)...does that keep things *regular* too?? Just wondering! Thanks again! I really enjoy visiting this message board and am learning so much from everyone. As I had predicted, this site is really keeping me focused! It's much easier to stay on track knowing I'm not "alone"!!! Have a great day!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 10:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Exclamation

Beware, sugar-free Metamucil .. and similar s/f flavoured psyllium products ... HAS CARBS! If you read the label, you'll see that one teaspoon (5g) has 3.4g fiber from the psyllium, and 1.4g digestible carbs from maltodextrin which is used as a filler.

As Kristine suggested, you'll save money AND save carbs by purchasing plain psyllium husks or psyllium husk powder from a health food store ... or possibly you may find it in bags where vitamins are sold. WalMart carries it.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 10:23
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?

Flax meal is good, and the Flax-o-meal hot cereal has plenty, along with wheat bran, at 1 or 2 net carbs per serving. I find it much more palatable than metimucil, and it certainly does the "trick"!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 19:14

Gee thanks Doreen T and Potatofree! I am definitely going to look for that ground psyllium husk powder...is there a way to make it taste good??? The carbs in the metamucil won't kill me I don't think, as I am low on carbs today anyways....so including the metamucil that would put me at about 13 carbs for the day...thinking of eating some more salad as a snack to pick up a few more carbs before bedtime...more fiber ya know! Thanks again for the tips!