Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 22:18

Plan: Atkins-CKD
Stats: 175/158.9/130 Female 5'2
BF:??/29.6/19
Progress: 36%
Default Hasn't gone as well as planned.....OK so I totally screwed up

*****I posted this elsewhere but since I'm a gluten(sp?) for punishment I might as well tell on myself here to********* :-)

Welll......where do I start....basically I have tried to be on Induction since Monday, but the only day that I followed it completely would be Tuesday , b/c on Monday I had a Coke. and Wednesday was a disaster.

Lets start from the beginning shall we.............................

Tuesday Night

6pm - Get up from my sleep ( I work nights so my days/nights are all screwed up)

-Talked to a friend about going to a Tennis Tourny in Cincy Wednesday Morning.....after work, and come back around 4pm. Which means I could sleep from 5pm-10pm and go to work.

11pm - Off to work we go. Lunch and Water is Packed, all is well

Wednesday Morning

7am - I'm off work and on my way to my first real Tennis Match ever. I'm so excited. But I must stay strong, no cheating ....right. So I have tuna and salad before I go. I also prepare some tuna for when I get home(KEY NOTE).

I'm pretty sure I can't take food to the tourny with me so I pack a carb low atkins shake, endulge bar and string cheese in a mini cooler, and we mustn't forget the water.

11:30am - Get to the tourny, my shake is confiscated (assholes) but I manage to sneak in the other stuff.

12pm-7pm Nothing at all for me to eat that I can see, tons of subway sandwiches and pasta stands to choose from. Instead I'll be good, I have my cheese and my endulge bar and some crystal light lemonade.

9pm - I finally get home, now I'm starving, but I know my tuna is in the fridge waiting for me , right, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
of course not that would be to easy. I open the door and nothing, so now I'm pissed b/c I purposely prepared my tuna so that I could come right home and eat it. So I'm tired and hungry and I have 15 minutes to leave for work, on 0 sleep. So I'm pissed.....f*ck it so I grab a coke, and smoke a cigarette.

Thursday

We won't even discuss what I did on thursday, its none of your business anyway :-) I kid, but it was bad. Funny thing is I was still drinking my water........hahaha I have to laugh to keep my sanity.

So, that was my day, completely screwed up, and I made 100x worse. But Friday is a new day, I won't wait for monday, I'm going to try again. Preperation is sooooo key for me b/c once I'm hungry or tired or irritated, its pretty much over, I don't care at that moment. I'm sure it would be easier if the d*mn coke wasn't in the house, but I can't control that b/c its not my house, I just have to learn to be stronger I guess.

wish me luck!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 22:34
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Wishing you luck....and success. Like riding a horse...you fall off, you get back on and try again. You are so right about preparation....it can mean the difference between making it through a day....or not....we have all experienced this somewhere along the line. Best thing I did was to set mini goals......like, my goal is just to make it through today. Different things work for different people.....guess there are no easy answers, but do what's best for you!

Take care,

Jo
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 22:50

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I know how it feels. I very often fall off the wagon, but get back on. It's good to start the next day and not Monday, I did the "ill be start on Monday" deal way too much. Hopefully things get easier for you. We all mess up at some time and more than likely a couple times.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 22:59
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 420/335/175 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:Don't/go/there
Progress: 35%
Default Keep working on it!

Let's just say we all have days like that and sometimes they turn into a little longer than just a day.

Induction is the hardest part, once you are past that it will be much easier. If you plan ahead and eat your meals, you will find that you are not that hungry and you get less hungry as time goes on.

Try and make things ahead on the weekend or your days off and freeze them or have them ready to go in the fridge.

You can do it will a little planning, it does not have to be fancy just something you like. Try Diet Rite, Taco Salad, Hamburger patties, eggs (any way you like them), Chicken cooked up and use for salads or to dip in ranch dressing. And when you are out, fast food can work, Cheeseburger (just throw away the bun), Subway, eat the meat and lettuce, onion, cheese, (just throw away the bun.)

Just try again and don't be to hard on yourself.

Susan
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 00:12

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

It sounds like you made a sincere effort to plan ahead, only to be sabotaged by unexpected problems. Okay, the next time you will probably try to make plans that include safeguards that will prevent your efforts from being thwarted in the same manner.

Perhaps you need to cook up a dozen hard boiled eggs in advance, knowing their number will mysteriously erode in your absence. Maybe you need to keep small "stashes" of hard cheese and/or other acceptable items not requiring refrigeration in your dresser, your workplace, or even in your car.

One way or another, you will develop a system that allows you to reach your objectives without external interference. Keep on trying...it's well-worth the effort!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 00:22

Plan: Atkins-CKD
Stats: 175/158.9/130 Female 5'2
BF:??/29.6/19
Progress: 36%

Thanks for the well wishes and tips....guess I don't feel as bad anymore...

Good Idea about the eggs!! We shall see what this weekend brings.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 07:10

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hang in there. You have to get through the first 2 weeks pure to get over the cravings. I can speak from only personal experience but I will tell you that if you keep the carbs under 20 you will be relieved of these cravings in 2 weeks and you may have to remind yourself to eat. This from a person who is very obese and a compulsive overeater and I can tell you that I am amazed at what this has done for me BUT if I eat anything that is a dangerous carb or anything with too much sugar, the cravings return. The difference is that I now know they will dissappear in about 2 to 3 days. The regular coke that you drank has like over 30 carbs in it all by itself. Regular soft drinks are killer for carbohydrates. Switch to diet. The coke probably spiked your blood sugar back up and now you have to let it settle. If you can fight the cravings for a week or so you will find relief. The difference is that in the past we were fighting cravings the entire time we were on a diet b/c we kept putting the dangerous carbs in our body without knowing it...now we know what does it. Just get through 2 weeks pure and you will be ok.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 10:11

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

I like your attitude! You have to have your head in the right place to do this, and it sounds like you do. Once you have a good solid week, it will be easier to stick with. Damn those speed bumps!!!

Good luck to you!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 10:22
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Start again.

Get to your fourth day and you should be in ketosis. This will really curb your appetite and cravings.

Then you will be in control.

Give it a real try. We are here to help.

IT WORKS!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 11:25
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You also don't have to completely deny yourself. Go to the subway stands and get a large meat anc cheese samwich with mayo, then just take the bread off, roll up the meat and enjoy. If they have hotdog and hamburger booths, get a dog or a patty minus the bun. As you progress through OWL you will notive you probably have a much higher carb tolerence if your playing competative tennis (I wasn't clear on if you were ap layer or just a spectator). You could also try talking to the officials before matches and explain to them that you are on a restricted diet and wish to bring in your own meal. With diabetics to abunstant these days it seems a tad harsh if they refuse.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 11:31
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hey -- you're on this WOE for life, right? At least I hope so. In that case, what's a few days in the grand scheme of your entire lifetime? Just start again and you'll nail it this time.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 11:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/195/135 Female 5'1
BF:Blubber
Progress: 0%

Well, as someone who has fallen off and gotten back on many a time, I can try and help ya out! There is still lots I dont know, but I can try to help just from my personal experience

1. CARB CLEANSE!! try to throw out or give away alll of your tempting high carb stuff in yer house! If you live with other people, try to hide tempting stuff high up so you cannot reach it, or have yer family or roomies hide it where you dont know......Believe there is nothing worse then brownie mix, fresh bread, or pasta staring you in the face...

2. PREPARE! Many ppl have recommended picking a good day for you, and cooking a ton of meals.On sunday I try to cook like 8 burgers, pork chops, different kinda of chicken, etc......then freezing it and popping it in the microwave when I need a quick meal! It sucks to sit and cook all of it at once, but beleive me it pays off! Also, if your not big into cooking like me, I like to keep lots of coldcuts, string cheese, pickles, cucumbers, bagged romaine, celery and stuff to make a quick meal. Also hot dogs are super quick for LC meals! Of course tuna and egg salad is right up there with quick too......Just gotta hide it from the others or put yer name on it =p lol.......... I have also made some pretty tasty low carb meals latley, so if you want to private msg me, I can give ya some recipies I like

If your on the go alot, I would recommend keeping a carbolite or atkins bar in your purse for a quick fix! Remember if you cheat once, you'll cheat again! SO not cheating! Its soooo hard I know, butjust knowing that one cheat can screw up the whole system is a good way to keep on track........I am tempted everyday, and the first time I tried this, i said oh F*ck it, ill have pizza and this and that and tom'w start over, but that got me nowhere =/

So... Clean out, and prepare, and I know you can do it! This support stuff helps too! I wish you the best and anything I can do let me know!

Keep it up!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 12:15

Stats: 170/151/135 Female 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 54%

toeie has a pretty great response there, i just wanted to add my tiny $0.02.

never start atkins on a monday! never, never, never!

I STRONGLY recommend starting atkins on friday night, or saturday morning (depending on if you are planning a big carb blowout before you start). that way, by the time monday rolls around, with the dreaded oh-mi-god-i-have-to-go-to-work and the inevitable carb-laden goodies you have two clean days under your belt and you're half-way to ketosis already.

also, if you start it on the weekend, you can be a grouchy slug to your family as you go through carb-withdrawl, rather than having to make nicey-nice at work.

Anyways, good luck! you sound very determined!