Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 14:46
Doctor Dirt

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityS
They ate a DOZEN donuts? EACH????

gee... i wonder why she didn't have any success with Atkins??

Yeah, it might have been all those Krispy Kremes that they were eating with their ice cream sandwiches and pasta

Jeannie
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 19:56

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

How old are these people? They sound like middle schoolers. Is Pasta and ice cream sandwiches the modified Atkins plan?
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 20:09
Registered Member

Stats: 253/195/175 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It is AMAZING to me how many people say "you know, what you're doing is great, but as soon as you get off of that diet it all comes back. . . . . blah, blah, blah."

My standard response to them?

"Hmmm. . . . . so are there some other diets out there that allow you to go back to your old way of unlimited eating without gaining any weight? Wow. That's fantastic.What diet would that be?" rolleyes:

By the way, I like ghost's answer the best. I'm going to have to start using that one.

TC
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 20:27

Stats: 285.4/278.2/170 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 6%

My favorite saying...

"God must love stupid people...he makes soooo many of them"!

It's very hard for most people to "un-learn" lessons that have been pounded into them all their lives!

If I'd first heard of Atkins through an article or book, I would never have tried it...fortunately, however, I saw the evidence standing there before me, 45 lbs lighter and several sizes smaller than the last time I'd seen him.

Made me re-think a few "facts"...

So, I am now in my 38th day...lighter and smaller!

Lovin' it every day!

S
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 21:26

Stats: 204.5/157/142 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

60'sChild -- I LOVE your saying!!!!!!!

I saw this on a bumper sticker once and I've adopted it as mine... its simple and to the point,

Stupidity Should be Painful
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 16:36

Stats: 285.4/278.2/170 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 6%
Wink

Shannonp...

I completely agree...Stupidity Should Be Painful...

BUT...

Not too painful...I've had a few stupid moments in my life and am quite sure there'll be a few more!

Sherry
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 16:44

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

People never criticize what you are doing unless you have something they want but are NOT willing to do what you are doing to get it.

Think how absurd this would sound if it was an alcoholic:

Her: "Yeah, I was going to AA and swore off alcohol for the first month."
Me: "Wow, that's great."
Her: "Well, I went off the plan and started drinking again."

Me: "I know everyone has varying degrees of success with the plan. I feel it's worked well for me."
Her: "Even the receptionist tried AA and it didn't work for her."
Me: "Oh really?"
Her: "Yeah, she tried really hard but it just didn't take. However, I don't believe she followed it to the letter."
Me: "Oh yeah?"

Her: "Yeah, I remember when she started it she was still having those beers with her lunch."

What do they expect??? Just be grateful you are not them and you know what it takes. COMMITMENT.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 23:04

Plan: Atkins but moving to SBD
Stats: 279/238/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Thanks to all for reminding me that you need at least an ounce of common sense to survive. If stupidity were painful, I'd open a pain management clinic and be a billionaire in about 15 minutes.

I don't believe you have to be a genius to succeed on a plan like Atkins, but you do need to understand a few things about how food works as fuel, and be willing to stick to it.

Today is our (wife and myself) 12-week anniversary on Atkins. Just to reflect the power of this simple concept:

Me - started out at 279 pounds. I weighed in today at 240.5 pounds, 38.5 pounds shed to date. I've dropped two pant sizes, and can even wear "skinny" clothes from the Gap.

My wife - started out at 165 pounds. She weighed in today at 141 pounds, 24 pounds shed to date. She's dropped 3 pant sizes (14 to an 8!), and looks great in some new clothes I bought her.

A little common sense, willingness to stick with the plan and doing your homework provides so much benefit. Doing so has given me so much confidence that I'm not finding out IF I can lose the weight I want to lose, but WHEN I lose the weight. It gives me the ability to walk into the Krispy Kreme store, buy a few boxes for my co-workers and not once have a craving for them.

I know things work differently on a person-by-person basis, but I feel a lot better with knowledge. I feel I can be much more strategic about how I go about doing the Atkins plan and can keep my eye on the ball.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 09:46
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I was reluctant to try Atkins..of course I hadn't READ anything on the subject, but I hear it was bad for your kidneys, etc., so became an "expert"on the evils of carbohydrate restriction...
I took off my first 30 lbs with a "healthy" plan over the course of a year and a half.
I decided to actually READ the book when I kept reading about Atkins being safe, then a nurse I know went on it, and so on... a year later, I'm 50 lbs lighter without the suffering I had trying to lose the first 50!

As for the stupid people... I was just told that since Atkins is so "dangerous" that I should have my stomach stapled instead, like my neighbor... Hmmm.... my father DIED from that procedure, and my last check-up was GREAT. ::weighing one against the other::: There just was no answer for that one...
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 09:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 232/209/155 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

ROFL. Too funny.

Yea, when I started the diet, after I had hit the 7 pound mark, I called my mom to tel her how well I was doing (not mentioning how I was doing it). She was thrilled to say the least - and began to lecture me how I needed to watch the fat intake blah blah blah. I just giggled to myself and agreed with her. She comes from the old way of thinking - that low fat is good. I'm completely convinced Atkins is the way to go for me.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 16:08
Registered Member

Stats: 320/298/155 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Big news story here in Vegas the other day went along the lines of something like this:
"If you want to lose weight then try Atkins, however Doctors warn that once you quit the diet you'll gain all the weight back."
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 16:24
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 219/189/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 43%

A Great Thinker once said....."Stupid is, as stupid does".....RUNNNNN FOREST RUNNNNN! Loved the krispy creme donut caper!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 16:41

Plan: modified atkins/general lc
Stats: 183/156/145 Female 5'2
BF:43%/31%/22%
Progress: 71%
Default well duh!!

Hello, yes I had the same response but actually they have a point. What they fail to understand is OF COURSE IF YOU CHANGE BACK TO OLD FREAKIN HABITS IT WILL HAVE A NEGATIVE EFFECT. If you are doing low fat diet, if you start eating chips and fries again you will gain. Of course, HELLO!!!! So eating low carb, doing low fat, whatever the change in eating will reverse back if you change. If someone is saying they are eating low fat, should the response be " you know you will just gain it back"? Let's try it everyone!!!

Kat
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 18:32
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

OMG, I can't believe that!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 18:35

Plan: checking out Atkins plan
Stats: 140/128/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

The REALLY stupidest ones are the ones that bring their lunches..cause they're on *special Atkins Diets* and have microwave pasta bowls, or when you ask who wants to order out for dinner they yell out..*chinese for me*

It grinds me..but I just chuckle, geeeeze that is stupid