Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:42

Plan: TKD
Stats: 238/208/200 Male 6 feet
BF:16, 7.5, 4
Progress: 79%

For fat targets just figure your total calorie intake for the day, then use .6 to .9 per pound for protein to figure that number, then figure how many carbs per day you want. Once you have your protein and carb goals add those calories together and subtract from your daily calorie total.

This will give you how many remaining calories need to come from fat. So if it was 2000 calories total per day and you had 800 calories coming from protein and carbs you would have 1200 calories left you need 133 grams of fat to meet your goal.

Did that make ANY sense ? The easiest way is just to use the link Jess provided.

For the TKD Ive heard most people try to keep as close to 0 as possible during the day so it gives them more carbs to place around their workouts.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrushka
Your weekly carb-up should take care of this problem. Typically, calories are above maintenance and they are composed of mainly carbs. Simple, high GI ones at first, which have the biggest impact on Leptin levels.

I used that calculator as well to figure out protein / fat / carb ratios for both the keto and carb up days.

HTH
-Nat

Thats the thing Nat, she doesnt want to do a CKD because of the issues she had with the back and forth of the program. She is looking into a TKD so I suggested going over maintenance levels of calories on a low carb day to somewhat reset leptin.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 12:54

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Pike
Thats the thing Nat, she doesnt want to do a CKD because of the issues she had with the back and forth of the program. She is looking into a TKD so I suggested going over maintenance levels of calories on a low carb day to somewhat reset leptin.
Confusion seems to reign supreme today

Above maintenance for a few days would work, unfortunately not as well as a carb up, but I understand the trepidation. Decreasing the calorie deficit and settling for a slower loss would also slow the leptin slide.

-N
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 19:01

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Ok all you Smarties experts - While looking through the drink case at my gym today, I noticed a rack of those vending machines that sell small toys and candies to kids. Since I was looking for a suitable TKD drink (and getting annoyed at all the HFCS), I decided what the hell and read the ingredients for the brightly colored candies.

The sugar suspects are: Dextrose, dextrin and malto dextrose. That's the good stuff, right? The 'dose' looks like about half a shot glass full, maybe 10-12 pieces. Is it naive of me to think that hitting that machine once on the way in, and once on the way out, combined with half an LC protein shake would just about do it TKD/recovery-wise?

Thanks!

Friday

Last edited by fridayeyes : Thu, Aug-14-03 at 08:31.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 20:42

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

LOL I think that would work, Friday. Those are all the good stuff. The only thing I might change is the protein drink, depending how much protein there is in it. You might want to have a whole one, just to make sure.

Alopex

P.S. Now, I KNOW those BF numbers of yours CAN'T be right!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 20:56

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

ABB Pure Pro has 40 g protein and 2 g carbs. The carbs are from rice oglio-saccharides, which supposedly assist absorption. That would be 20 g before, and 20 after.

What, you don't think I have 213% bodyfat? I have about 135# lean, so the numbers are correct, however unfortunate they may be. Do note, however, that I reversed the weight and BF fields so that my goal progress is calculated from BF, not weight.

I'd like to get into the 19-22% range ultimately, but for now the goal is just to be 'normal.'

Cheers,

Friday
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 21:23

BF:
Progress:

Well I knew the numbers were reversed, but I didn't know for sure that you had done it on purpose. Actually, I like the idea, since I'm more interested in a goal BF% than a goal weight too.

It just struck me when I glanced over, that's all.

I didn't realize you were having a whole shake around your workout. I thought maybe just half afterwards. What you're doing sounds good to me, though.

Last edited by Alopex : Wed, Aug-13-03 at 21:55.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 22:05

Plan: CKD/Atkins
Stats: 205/186/150 Female 5"7'
BF:FAT!!!
Progress: 35%

I know this question has probably been answered a milion times before (and I have probably read the answer a million times) but can someone clarify the good vs. bad sugars issue... I find myself confused after reading through this post. I appologize!
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 06:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyJess
but can someone clarify the good vs. bad sugars issue... I find myself confused after reading through this post. I appologize!
No appoly needed! It can be confusing.

Good sugars = those closest to glucose, simple and fast absorbing. Dextrose, maltodextrin.

Bad sugars = HFCS, Fructose and to a lesser degree table sugar (which is 50/50 fructose/glucose).

-N
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 10:12

Plan: CKD/Atkins
Stats: 205/186/150 Female 5"7'
BF:FAT!!!
Progress: 35%

Is table sugar "sucrose" or is that something else?
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 10:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyJess
Is table sugar "sucrose" or is that something else?
Yes, sucrose is table sugar, Jess.

-N
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 11:34

Plan: Started Atkins 3/17/03 now CKD
Stats: 145/113/115 Female 65
BF:54%/21%/18%
Progress: 107%
Wink hope I got the right stuff

Nat,

After searching and searching for dextrose and Maltodextrin products around my area, to no avail, I finally did a search on www.google.com and came up with the following:

www.iherb.com, where I ordered Carbo gain (formerly Carbo powder), which is supposed to be 100% pure maltodextrin

and www.brew4less.com, where I ordered corn sugar (dextrose) powder

Just wondering if I ordered the right stuff? This is all new to me, I know, I should have asked you first before placing my order

My plan is to mix them with my isopure protein shakes???? The can of powder I have says the perfect low carb isopure, with 50g of 100% Ion exchange whey protein isolate. 2 scoops is a serving, and it contains 3 carbs, but 2g fibers, so a net of 1g carb.

I have been doing TKD, with about 20-30g carbs before and after my workouts and cardio. But, want my carbs to be dextrose or maltodextrin, so it will be protein shakes (with the above) and smarties for me. and the bottle caps if I can find them

If I ever decide to try CKD, do you think the above would work for the carb up days? sticking to the isopure before and after workouts/cardio during keto phase, and adding the pure dextrose and pure maltodextrin powders to the isopure powder shake during carb up phase?? just curious what your thoughts on this might be?

TIA
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 13:15

BF:
Progress:

I realize you were asking Nat, but I hope you don't mind me replying too.

Your choices are good for your sugar, Jo. And for carb-up, you can certainly add dextrose etc. to your shakes. I do.

But you may find that you want a little more variety on weekends, after being restricted all week. I find that if I don't eat something I feel like eating (even if it *isn't* an ideal carb-up treat), I still feel pretty restricted.

Enjoy your TKDing!

Last edited by Alopex : Thu, Aug-14-03 at 13:17.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 13:18

I agree Alopex as usual

I have liquid carbs and protein right after my last workout before carb up then I pretty much use whole food as Im ready to EAT after the long week of low calorie and low carb.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 13:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2girls
If I ever decide to try CKD, do you think the above would work for the carb up days? sticking to the isopure before and after workouts/cardio during keto phase, and adding the pure dextrose and pure maltodextrin powders to the isopure powder shake during carb up phase?? just curious what your thoughts on this might be?
Nothing to add to Alopex's answer except my opinion on your theoretical carb up. If you're worried that eating the candies might set off a carb binge then that might be the route to go. If you think you can handle the simple sugars you might want to find high GI foods you can eat just so you feel like you've had some 'food'. Many cereals work great and I used to have some Fat Free Fries w/ ketchup for my last few meals - after a while eating all those skittles, rockets and what not left my mouth sore. But that's just me

-N