Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 00:44
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 194/184.5/147 Female 5 FEET 6 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Is back pain a side effect??

Another question from a learner, these last two to three days, I have had severe lower back pain. I can only describe it as if somebody was taking a hot branding iron and placing it right across the bottom of my back. For the last two nights, I have had difficulty sleeping because of the pain and have had to get up in the middle of the night and take pain killers. It is extremely uncomfortable!!!! Is this a side effect that anybody else has had or has it nothing to do with Atkins at all.

PS How do I update my weight in my profile?

Joyce
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 04:18

Plan: PP / Atkins
Stats: 275/215/170 Female 5'8
BF:too much/26%
Progress: 57%

I sounds like you have something going on with your kidneys. If you have any sort of fever go and see your doctor immediately.

If not, try doubling the amount of water you are drinking and see if that help you at all. But I'd still suggest seeing a Doctor, just in case!

To edit your weight, click on the profile icon at the top of the page, then click again on the profile idon and it should bring up a page where you can change your stats.

Good lucK
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 04:31

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 190/190/90 Female 153
BF:
Progress: 0%

i agree by increasing water intake , have you injured or strained your back
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 04:58
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

I had severe lower back pain a couple of weeks into the diet, which made me scream and cry. I know exactly what you mean by the hot branding iron feeling. With me, it turned out to be muscle cramps brought on by electrolytes washing out of my body, because the diet flushes them out AND I had been hiking in hot weather, thus sweating a huge amount. I got a back cramp again just the other day when we had 100 degree heat. At least I knew to run for my supplements right away this time...but when I first started Atkins and this was happening, I had no idea what it was and thought my kidneys were about to fall out. It was solved by taking potassium and calcium supplements, along with--believe it or not--a bit of regular ole table salt. However, possible kidney pain is nothing to fool with. I concur with gemma and abbey, if you think it might be kidney you would be well advised to see a doctor very soon.