Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 11:06

Plan: High Protein
Stats: 155/152/135 Female 65 inches
BF:I think it's 28%
Progress: 15%
Talking Another "Newbie" post (sorry)

Um .. .. . Hi, I'm (insert name here) and I'm a "newbie" . . . .

Hello from Big "D" all. I've NEVER done anything like this before. Atually I've been lurking around on this website FOREVER and finally got the kahonies to joing the "group". Let's see, where do I start. I've recently realized that I probably need to do Atkins. My whole life I've never had a problem with my weight. Last year, I got a serious sinus infection (lasted about 2 months) and had just "crashed-n-burned" from working about 80 to 90 hours a week for about 6 months straight. I pretty much didn't weight myself for almost 8 weeks (and didn't pay attention to the tightness in my cloathes because my stomach always swells a bit when I get a sinus infection/drainage (sorry if that's TMI). Anyway, I got on the scale and found out I had gained a little over 20lbs. Being a woman, my weight has always fluctuated a bit but I'd just cut back and it would peel off in a couple of days. Not this time around - NOTHING AND I MEAN NOTHING would take it off - I excercised for 2 hours a day for 3 weeks - nothing, I fasted for 4 days - nothing. It was VERY depressing. The weight sucked but what was worse were the "symptoms". Exhausted all the time no matter how much I slept. Numbness/tingling in my left arm, bodily swelling (well it FELT like swelling but never really looked like it) and the upper part of my stomache looking like I was 6 months pregnant. I have done everything and read everything. I haven't had anything diagnosed because I don't like doctors. I cut back on my carbs (just to "test" this Atkins/low-carb thing - since all my symptoms reaked of insulin resistance and hypothyroidism) and I lost all the symptoms within a couple of weeks and about 8 lbs of weight to boot so I decided to just "go for it" and do the Atkins thing. I have a bunch of questions that I've never seen answers to in the newbie/atkins forums so maybe someone can help me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 14:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/151/140 Female 5ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hello and welcome,
The atkins diet is great and so is this site. They have all kinds of ideas. I need to lose about 20 lbs too. You have to remember you did not gain the weight over night and will not lose it over night too. A good diet and exercise should work great. If you follow the atkins plan you should do great, just be sure to eat the veggis and drink lots of water.
Do you have the Atkins book? If now I would get it. It if full of great things. They sell them at Wal Mart.
I am sure if you list your questions that someone here will answer them.
Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 14:10

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi and welcome to the forum! You have to post your questions to get them answered.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 14:58
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/154.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Welcome! We were all newbies once...ask your questions! This is a wonderful sight for advice. This is a wonderful WOL! Enjoy getting your questions answered and good luck to you as you embark on this new adventure.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 15:48

Plan: High Protein
Stats: 155/152/135 Female 65 inches
BF:I think it's 28%
Progress: 15%
Default right - i have to ASK my questions

man - i ALWAYS forget the little things (sheesh). ok, i like the whole idea of not fretting over fat grams BUT i need help customizing the induction phase - see, i HATE most meat products (i can stand plain grilled chicken and tuna but beef/pork/bacon are probably the grossest things i can think of eating). here's the first question - considering that i don't like meat - can i just double up on protien (yes, yes i make SURE they are low carb) bars and "acceptable" veges or is that just a big no - no - plus - how do vegetarian wannabe's do atkins?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 05:21
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

There are vegetarians out there following the Atkins program, so yes you can do it. ON the protien bars, that is more of a person by person thing. They can stall some people. I guess the only way to find out is to try it and see if you lose. If not, you may want to lower the bars, if not drop them all together.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 08:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/143/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 19%

hi - i just joined yesterday much like yourself after a long time of lurking around the site! It has taken a lot of courage for me to join a group and am still a little freaked out about writing about my diet in public albeit anonomously. silly eh! I was glad to read your post as you have a similar weight goal to me - I really think I may be able to do it this time with a bit of support. I have been reading Fat Flush and find it excellent. Good luck and I'll be watching your progress!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 20:28

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi to you new ones-----I was like you too but on top of it--I am not very good at computers so was afraid I' d really goof things up as well. Then I found out that everyone misspells and goofs up what they are trying to type at times so I finally jumped in with both feet. These people are fantastic and never once has anyone jumped on me for doing a dumb thing. Ask questions and look around. Everybody welcomes you and really enjoys talking about their new way of eating. Welcome And read Dr. Atkins Book. He really explains most everything you want to know and then some!!!! Good luck!! Aleka