Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 14:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 218/198/168 Female 1.5m
BF:
Progress: 40%
Unhappy Shaky Resolve as I enter 1st weekend

Hi all

I am at the start of my first weekend on Atkins and my resolve is wavering. I have that Friday night head (give me treats) on. My only consolation at the moment is it is almost bedtime (tick, clock, tick).

My worry is for the next two days. Being haunted by my usual fast food junket of the weekend is quite daunting. My biggest fear is coming off the rails. I have tried so hard this week. At the end of day five (today) my headache was no where near as bad as the past four days so I see an improvement. Also, my digestion is in superb condition and I felt that immediately. I suffered from constant heartburn and a noisy tummy. But not this week!

I would be heartbroken if I wasted my good work but I feel the need for something. Although I never usually seek out sweet things I feel the desire now. I was never tormented by chocolate or sweet things. Bread was (past tense?) my poison. Anything savoury and I was a goner. So why sweeties now?

I found a shop that sells Splenda. I am only at the beginning of induction but could anyone tell me if I can do something fabulous with low carb and Splenda? I may not need to use it but the thought of needing something immediately and not being prepared will only lead me to the sweetie shop.

Never has an eating plan given me such a mix of emotions/desires. When I lay down each night I am so proud that I did it for another day.

Does anyone know how to perform a 2 day self induced coma?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 14:28

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

hi irene
have you had a look at the sweet treat section of the recipes.theres some gorgeous things to make there.

christine
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 14:35

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Irene

That first weekend is always an ordeal in the mind and probably does not turn out so bad. Make sure you have plenty of low carb treats in the fridge and other places so that if you feel like a snack then you can have a legal one. Eating something will make you feel better whether its a hunk of cheese, some slices of cooked meat, cold sausages, prawns, chicken wings. All these things have zero or low carbs (watch the sausages).

Keep your focus. If you go out, eat meat and veggies. Love a curry, just no rice or naan. Also Chinese, but again no rice or sweet and sour.

Glad you are already experiencing some of the good things about low carbing. More will follow, including weight loss.

Have a great weekend.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 14:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/136/119 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

I am now addicted to sugar free strawberry jelly and whipped cream!!
(Thanks to Lynda!)
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 14:44

BF:

thank you for your swift response. I will go now to the recipe part. Can get chicken drumsticks at Asda tomorrow. In fact, have some in the darkest recesses of the freezer.

It is really heartening to know that, when one is weak, there is someone there to bolster you.

Although I work in Glasgow City Centre, no food joints tormented me. The mere thought of a weekend with my own willpower though, now that is daunting.

Thank you so much and here's to a very quick weekend!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 04:37

BF:

Made it to Saturday. Breakfast of sausages (3?) bacon (1) and fried egg. Feeling good! Feeling positive. Day 6 and at last the headache has gone. God, it was a stubbord besom. Husband on it too and is telling me someone told him about Dr Hillary on GMTV saying we should come off Atkins during this hot weather. I cannot figure out why the hot weather should have much to do with anything. Heavens, but it is hot.

Also, am slightly more quick tempered than usual. Not angry as such but more impatient and intolerant. Anyone feel that before?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 05:00

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

irene, what your husband is talking about, i sthat on Atklins because you eat more meat than carbs, meat is harder to digest on the bodies - therefore its supposed to raise your temp whilst digesting it. therefore in hot weather the added temp of your body combined with the higher temp outside could be nasty - this is only if you don't drink ALL your water and more

To be honest I haven't noticed a difference I am just doubly making sure that I drink all my water and then some

I have been pretty mad this week myself, TOM next week which is what I put it down to - BUT maybe its us getting rid of all that nasty crap in our bodies

Enjoy Glasgow - lovely city I have many friends there - but don't get to travel up there that often!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 05:40

BF:

Hi

Get it now. I have been drinking plenty this past week. I was worried that Atkins and hot weather were making me feel so rubbish and I would either have to wait for the snow or chuck it.

Mentioning TOM, I was so absorbed in this Atkins stuff I forgot. I have mid-cycle mania probably. How strange. I seem to analyse everything that has been happening this week. Not sure what is normal and what is new.

Glasgow is beautiful at the moment. Normally the sky is so low it almost touches your head....but put some sunshine on it and it transforms the joint. It seems to add an extra dimension. Too hot to venture into the city. Too scared of eating joints also.

Today is my chance to get it right, Atkins wise, as it is shopping day (hip, hip). Spent this first week eating things like sausages, burgers, etc so now is my chance to put some zing into it. Am getting a wee bit scunnered with salad vegetables though so will need to thing of other stuff. The plate always looks as thoughs something is missing (potatoes, pasta, rice, bread). Hunger is not the only thing, cravings are harder to fight. Here's hoping.........
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 12:51
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%

Hi Irene,

You seem to be coping very well. Enjoy your traditional Scottish breakfasts whilst you are in Glasgow. I'm afraid you can't have the black pudding or the tattie scones though.

Keep up the good work.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 13:28

Stats: 255/250/160 Female 5'8"
BF:kiss it goodbye
Progress: 5%

Just poking my nose in...and noticed you were looking for sweet recipes.
I have to say that a fav of many on here is the jello cheesecake...

a few quick hints....make sure you blend the cottage cheese really well or you'll end up with little white lumps of it in your cheesecake..
And if you pour it into individual muffin papers you can measure the carbs much more easily than figuring out portions from a bowl (the papers come off easily) Cheers!

Dissolve 2 pkgs Sugar Free jello in 2/3 cup boiling water.
Add 8 oz cream cheese, cut into 4 pieces.
In separate bowl whip 1 c whipping cream (heavy cream) until stiff peaks form.
The cr cheese should be softening by now; to jello mixture add 1 cup cottage cheese. Blend until smooth with a hand blender or in a food processor or blender. Fold in whipping cream and refridgerate.

Entire recipe =
Calories 1860
Fat 180
Carbs 24
Protein 60

Congrats on making it through the weekend so far!!! Good luck!!!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 14:09

BF:
Talking

Saturday night. How proud of me am I? Very.

Thank you thank you to the person who invented the low fat jelly and squirty cream. (Husband, who is also doing Atkins, is eating his now, and he has THAT look on his face.) I was not expecting much but when I had it, well, what can I say, a drink in the desert! I got a sore tummy after though but I think that's because it was cold out of the fridge.

Unfortunately I can no longer enjoy the Scottish breakfast........it was that which brought me to where I am today. Potato scones, soda scones, black pudding, lorne.

I love the sound of the cheesecake but methinks I shall hold off for a bit. Too adventurous for an induction rookie!

24 hours ago I was spoiling for a wee something. Now I feel good again. I find this forum good for fighting a craving because I come on, read some stuff, maybe reply to some and read any responses I get. Fabulous. Who would have thought it.........a computer as a diet aid.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 02:58

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

irene - well done for getting through the weekend - me I didn't do quite aswell!! crazy really I OD'd on carbs - but only from cauliflower and carrots !!!

But all it not lost I now know to avoid those veggies! (although philedelphia and carrots an celery was yum!!)

I did also have a few bourbon biscuits! I was at work and had to hand them out and I couldn't resist (bad girl)

Never mind I didn't go over board and I am not beating myself up about this know that it will take me a while to figure out what I can and cannot eat - as I am still in my first week

We shall see this week turns out then
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 03:22

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Irene

Glad to hear that you did well this weekend. It is amazing how the computer helps to keep your focussed. I know it has been a great lifeline for me.

I wish you a great week ahead.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 05:39

BF:
Unhappy

Posting from work.

Been to Boots to weigh myself. One tiny pound down. Can you believe it? One pound. From Wednesday to today one pound. Bought a healthy lunch but my heart not in it. I am rubbish with setbacks. Am on day 8 of this woe and I am sooooo upset. Where's my landmark drop. May the heavens save me from carbs today...........
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 05:47

Stats: 184/162/112 Female 5'5"
BF:31/26/19
Progress: 31%

Poor Irene, that must be so disheartening. Perhaps you need to up your fat intake a bit more... I know I notice a profound difference when I'm let my fat intake drop even for a few hours.

Big psychic hugs though... I know its hard not to get disheartened, but it will come off eventually.