Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 16:38
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 307.3/293.0/185 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 12%
Cool Exercise Program

Right now I am trying to figure out an exercise program that works. Being a college athlete my body has been put through the mill and some. At 28 I was diagnosed with osteo-arthiritis. I have been working out traditionally but I just don't think that is what my body wants anymore.

I am trying to figure out a more gentler way of getting my body into shape so it wants to react in a nicer way in loosing weight and toning of my physique.

One thing I would love to do is walk but not in the position to as I live out in the country were wild dogs roam free. Been attacked 3 times thus far. And a lady was attacked on a main road by akitas and wound up in critical care a couple of months back. So, that is out for me.

Plus it is the sumemr time here in south florida and it is mighty hot

So, anyone going the gentle route of body workouts. I like to do yoga but find my flabby stuff gets in the way of doing the stretches properly.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Many blessings,

Sacred
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 17:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/224.1/205 Male 70 inches
BF:39%/27.1%/20%
Progress: 68%

Sorry to hear about the dog problem. I cycle and for some reason the last 2 days have been TERRIBLE with dog chasing me on routes that I haven't seen them before. I do carry HALT and have used it to some effectiveness. One other thing that works very well is to carry a spray bottle with a mixture of about 1/3 ammonia to water. THAT works well for the monsters that don't take the hint. When I go down to Missouri I use that because of the junk yard dogs. Load this mixture into a good squirt gun and you can get them at good "stand off" distances. HALT (carried by postal carriers) is not suppose to cause permanent damage but there are stories where some dogs don't react to it much at all. The ammonia will get their attention if they get it in the mouth or eyes and it can be damaging to the dog.

Before anyone jumps on me about being a dog hater... I have 2 German Shepherd Dogs and love dogs in general. HOWEVER...people who own dogs need to treat them like guns. They can be dangerous and no one should be afraid of dogs that aren't contained because that just shouldn't happen. I do not go out to find dogs to chase me. In fact, I have shut down a couple of my favorite routes to avoid them. Keep in mind that I do over 300 km a week on the bike so I cover a lot of ground. Still...I have a right to free movement and defense of myself. And...I believe that the vast majority of "bad dogs" are victims of bad/stupid/careless owners. However, I am not going to be laid up in a hospital debating that issue after taking stitches or even more drastic treatment from a dog.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 17:44

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Sacred!

I do traditional exercise as well as Pilates. I don't know if you've looked into it already, but Pilates is a fairly slow, generally mat-based workout which strengthens and stretches muscles.

I don't know if it would be easier for you to follow than yoga, though.

I like Don's suggestion for anti-dog tactics, especially since I think walking is a great, relatively gentle method of getting in shape. But I totally understand why you'd be hesitant about walking in your situation. Sounds scary!

Indoor cycling might be good, too, if you have access to it, because it supports most of the body weight on the seat. But I don't know how your joints would like it.

Sorry I can't think of anything else right now. Wish I could help more.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 19:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/224.1/205 Male 70 inches
BF:39%/27.1%/20%
Progress: 68%

HE HE HE...INDOOR cycling...Now why didn't *I* suggest that one. LOL

Some thoughts on that...

If you have a bike, you can get a rear wheel straining stand. That is a stand where you lock the rear axle to the the device and let the rear wheel sit on a roller that provides resistance. Any good bike shop can help you on that one. Also, regardless of whether you use a training stand or an indoor cycle machine get a fan. That will help you keep cooler. You will want to have your cycle on a cloth to avoid sweat on any surfaces you can't easily clean. Make sure the bike is properly fit for you. This will have a huge impact on avoiding unneeded stress on joints. Again, a good bike shop can help in this department.

BTW, in spite of my "militant" position about protecting yourself from dogs, I understand that kind of fear and certainly don't want you to step out of your comfort factor.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 20:45
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I would recomend a yoga rutine for berginers. You won't need much room, just enough to lay down and stretch out. It really helps to improve strength, stanima, balance, an doverall well being. Some say there is no cardio, but if you do some vineassia (way bad spelling) in which you move through a specific series of poses smoothly you cna get a little out of breath. I also work up a good sweat in some moves, it feels like the heat is in your belly radiating out.

The one I would most suggest though is strength training. Resistance work can help to build bone density. Make sure you are getting enough calcium and estrogen of course. You can join a gym for convience, or just pick up a couple of small hand weights. Isometric work where you work against yourself can be amazing at strength training. The video series 8 min arms, legs and so on builds on isometrics. Atkins also states that regular strength training can raise the level of carbs you can have because much of the gluclose is burned off
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 21:33

BF:
Progress:

LadyBelle makes a good point about the resistance training. If your joints can take it, go for it! It'll increase your metabolism and help you get rid of "flabby stuff."

I don't know if you're into this sort of thing, but SAM-e is a supplement readily available in the States (pulled from the shelves in Canada because it works too well lifting depression and they want to make it a presciption drug) which, among other things, has been found to rebuild joints in those who have osteo-arthritis. It worked wonders for a good friend of mine, so I feel confident making the suggestion. There is a lot of good literature out there about it, but I would recommend taking a look at "Stop Depression Now" by Richard Brown, M.D.; Teodoro Bottiglieri, Ph.D.; and Carol Colman. It has a section in it about osteo-arthritis. A Google search for osteo-arthritis and SAM-e will probably yield tons of info.

Good luck!

P.S. Cue-Bald--how much does a good indoor training stand tend to cost? I've been thinking about getting one for a while, especially as I want to get some good cycling in this winter.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 12:29
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks all for responding!

Alopex,

Well I have heard of pilates but the pilates thus far that I have seen is hard. As in difficult positions with a big ball. I ahve not really seen any good pilates beginning video. Do you know of any?

In regards to biking. I have a lifecycle recument bike. My traditional work out is riding that for 30 minutes while I work out with dumbells my arms doing 5 different exercises in a row 10 times each as many as I can fit in within 30 minutes.

This recently hurt my shoulder, so I think my body is telling me to find a different way of working out. And the weights were not heavy at all I was using 7.5 pounds.

CueBald,

I was walking around with a metal pole. But honestly to tell you the truth I just don't enjoy walking worrying about dogs. I may as well be walking on a treadmill. The reason I enjoy walking is being outside enjoying nature. But, worrying about stray dogs is no fun. As you can guess just about every house out here has a dog and most of them have 2-3 dogs. They are always outside fenced in. but still when they come barking and barreling down to the fence. Your gaurd goes up cause it might be a stray. Houses out here are on 1.25 acres or more with dirt roads. So many many dogs.

When I was in elemntary school I got bitten walking to the pool. The cops gave the people a slap on the wrist. they thought I did seomthing to provoke it. Which wasn't true cause it bit me in the bakc of my leg as I walked by the house. That same dog within a month killed the families infant becuase they shared a cookie with the baby and the dog. Guess what type of dog that was? German Shephard. Don't like them much anymore as everyone I run into is so edgy.

But I do appreciate the suggestion. I didn't think you were miltant at all with what you said, thought it was very practical and useful. people come out to our area and drop the dogs they do not want and leave. Then others do not keep them locked up as they are suppose to.

LadyBelle,

Thanks for the suggestions I will look into the supplement. I had never heard of that. As far as strength training goes. That is one of the things that caused the arthiritis. I was a college athlete in track and field doing shot-put and discuss. I could bench 250 pounds and back squat 380 pounds. Strength training was an essential part of our events.

Resistant training sounds good but don't you need a partner for that? We use to do resistant training with a partner when we warmed up for practice. So how do you do resistant training with out using weights. It was wonderful to do resistant trianing becuase it always allowed us to get further in stretches.

I have Yoga zone series and one tape is for beginners but some of the positions I am unable to get full stretches because the nice round midsection I have

Again many thanks for your suggestions, I will look into them.

Yours in deepest gratitude,

Sacred
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 12:40

BF:
Progress:

Hi again, Sacred!

The Pilates I use right now is Pilates for Dummies, which is just a mat-based workout with plenty of modifications suggested for beginners. But, with any luck, I'll be getting Winsor Pilates for my birthday (I asked for it), which seems to be much more difficult.

Another question: how often do you work out? Injuries can come when the body needs more rest, too (a stupid but effective way of getting our attention ).

You could try using bands for resistance. I don't have any, but I've used them before, and they're great (so long as you don't lose your grip and snap yourself with the band ).

Alopex

P.S. German Shepherds apparently have a "crazy" switch which can go off without warning after years of no problems even in an otherwise well-behaved dog. No one seems to know why. I've seen it happen a few times, and it's definitely scary. I avoid those dogs myself.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 06:02
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

Hi Alopex,

I appreciate you taking time to respond

Thanks so much for the recommendation, I looked at it on amazon and read te reviews. It looks like what i was looking for.

My workouts were every 3 days. And one rest day in the middle. This time around i went and started easy. As I do not bike at a wicked fast pace nor was I lifting heavier weights or pushing my body to do more repitition than possbile. (I use to push my body to it breaking point)

I know what you are saying about that. When doing the work out I just don't feel my body responding well. It is sorta like it says been here done this no more. If that makes sense. Don't know how to explain it. It is like it is saying look you going to work me out that is great but do it in a way that is enjoyable and gentler than what you did in the past.

Plus i have noticed that I have a growing urge to get more intouch with my body. That is also tough to do when you are doing exercises and not a flowing movement.

I look into the restitant bands.

On a side not about dogs. I did not know that about german shephards. I have seen it with male jack russels. My old roommate use to breed them. She had on called higgins, male. Higgins was ALWAYS mean scaring the other 2 females off. If you try and move him from the coach you had to through a blanket over him because he would literally try and bite you.

Then one day my roommate and her friend sitting at a kitchen table. Higgins got upset about something. Climbed up and clamped down on my roommates face. Bit right through her nose and lip and wouldn't let go. The friend and to pry his jaw open. Becuase my roommate had people living in her house she decided she better put him down. Otherwise she told me she would have still kepted him. Isn't that looney!

In my neighborhood they have all the watch type dogs. Pitbulls, akitas, sherman shephards, rotwiliers, working labs...

Anyway, hope you are having a good week!

Many blessings,

Sacred
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 06:49

BF:
Progress:

Hi Sacred!

I know what you mean about going too hard at exercise. I have a tendency toward that too, but fortunately my body hasn't really pulled the plug on me yet.

Isn't it weird how some dogs are practically land mines, while others will take pretty much any abuse you throw their way (I know a Pekingese who fits that description, but he has a wicked sense of humour, and he'll get you back ).

Good luck with your workouts! I think the urge to get more in touch with your body is a big step, especially for someone who's used to pushing the body!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 09:50
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 167/140/135
BF:30%/20%/15%
Progress: 84%

Sacred -- while there are some exercises in which a partner provides the resistance, there are also many which do not require a partner. See this site for full explanations: Zen in the Art of Self-Resistance

Keep looking -- you'll find the right exercise for you.

Ron
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 10:10
Registered Member

BF:

Too Cool Jon,

Thanks for the link. I will look through it thoroughly!

Many thanks!

Sacred
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 18:03
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Alopex,

I just ordered the DVD for the pilates for dummies. Thanks for the tip.

I also ordered some of scott cole tai chi. I started his beginners one which I found it did wonders for my energy.

So hopefully between pilates, tai chi, and the restitant exercises. I will come up with a good routine.

Agian much thanks to all who made recs

Sacred
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 19:09
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 216/000/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 284%

Hi Sacred,

You might want to give a yoga class a try. I found the tapes to be a bit difficult to follow, especially when you're having troubles getting into positions. If you can find a good class to attend, the teacher should be able to show you modifications that are appropriate for your skill/experience level.

Another option is to get "yoga conditioning for weight loss" on DVD (if you have a DVD player) as there are 4 different difficulty levels, allowing one to get the proper alignment and the benefits of the posture without having to be gumby
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 12:57
Registered Member

BF:
Cool

Hi muzigal,

Thanks so much for your recommendation I will look at it. The thing is from doing sports in college our prewarm up actually consisted of basic yoga stretches. So, it is not that the tape is hard that I am doing. It is just I know what it feels like to get into those stretches and positions being thin. Now having flab there makes it hard to get the full stretch at times..

But i will look into that DVD you recommend.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

Many blessings,

sacred