Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 21:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/169/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Talking Hi! I'm new and excited to join!!

Hi! My name is Spryng and today is day one of my induction period. I am so excited. I have been on atkins a few time before. but first let me introduce myself.
I'm Spryng (pronounced Spring, like the season) real name. I'm 23 yo, been married for 5 years now and have 3 beautiful children, Ava (3 1/2), Joseph 2 1/2) and little Tanner (just 6 weeks old) I live in Kansas. I never had weight problems until I got married and went on the birth control pill. I quickly put on 40 lbs. Then I became pregnant with child #1 and went up to 190 lbs! Then only 2 months after giving birth to her I became pregnant again with my first son and went up to 195 lbs. When he was 6 months old I went on Atkins. I quickly lost the weight but then went off and on a few times, losing and regaining the weight. I tried all kinds of diets. Low carb, low fat, low cal, pills, etc. But you know what? Only low carb really worked for me. I finally hit my goal weight and was a size 8. But then I went through a rough period in my life and put on some weight and then I got pregnant for this last time and went up to 194 lbs. I'm now at 177 and need to get off 47 lbs. But I am ready and willing to lose this, I just need the support and encouragement from fellow atkins friends. So today is day one and I have did really well. Only 5 carbs all day. I had lots of chicken and some sirloin roast for dinner and such. So I ate alot, just not much carbs. I'm not really familiar with this new "NET CARB" idea though. Does everyone count their carbs that way? by subtracting fiber? I've never done this but I guess I will start to now.
Ok, well I guess I have blabbed enough for one night. I can't wait to get to know all of you and share our successes and trials with each other!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 01:39

Plan: Atkins-modified
Stats: 230/203/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Welcome, Spryng! And welcome back to the low-carb lifestyle!

And yes, you should count "net" carbs by subtracting the fiber from the carbs that you eat. Be sure to get a copy of DANDR (Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution) and read it from cover to cover; it will answer many of the questions that you may have. Not that you can't ask them here, but you really must read the book. You'll be glad that you did.

-G.

Last edited by Gwyn : Sun, Aug-10-03 at 01:40.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 06:11
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

I agree that you need to read the book if you haven't yet. It will help you understand why we need to eat this way.

If you are only at 5 carbs you must not be eating your vegies. You must eat the vegies. You need them for the nutrients and the fiber. You should also be taking supplements.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 07:07

Stats: 267/253/180 Female 5'9
BF:WAY too much
Progress: 16%

Welcome!! I'm new here too!! Just wanted to say hi!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 08:53

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%
Default Are you a nursing mom?

Hi Spryng,

Welcome back to Atkins and congratulations on your new baby.

Are you breastfeeding Tanner? If so, you should be eating at 'maintenance level' carbs. You don't want ketones in your breastmilk potentially affecting the health of your precious baby. Also you will need the extra calories and nutrients to keep that milk flowing

And do add some veggies to your diet regardless of whether you are nursing or bottlefeeding. Aside from the fiber they will provide vitamins and minerals to help boost your energy levels, and will also set a great example to your two older children.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 10:22
Registered Member

Stats: 177/169/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thanks all for the welcome and advice.
No I am not breastfeeding, I'm bottlefeeding. And yes I have read the book, several times now
And you are right... I need to eat more veggies. I didn't yesterday because I'm trying to get my body into ketosis as quick as possible. Today I am eating more veggies.
Oh, and I am taking supplements also. I really am trying to do this the right way, really. I just forgot to add that in my first entry.
So thanks again for the welcome and I hope to be seen here often!!