Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 21:30

Plan: 6 week body makeover
Stats: 225/185/190 Male 5.8
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default Ladies read please

I have a weird question I take the birth control pill and i am halfway through my month of pills and I got my period.... It's still a good week and 1/2 away...I take them regularly and never have breakthrough bleeding like this...do you think I detoxed myself of the birth control pill too??

has anyone else experienced this during induction?

P.S.

There is no chance I am pregnant. - I would of had to of had sex for that!! LOL

Since it started I have kept taking the pill, I plan on finishing this pack.

Hugs,
Shannon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 21:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default women's health issues

I just had the same thing happen to me, but I am 4 months into this WOE. So I'm not so sure it's induction related, I am leaning more towards something else but I don't know what just yet.

I had 8 days before my TOM was to begin and all of a sudden I had spotting and I continued on with the pill for a few days and then stopped. Started a new batch of pills again on a Sunday and its now been 10 days and my cycle hasn't stopped.

I chalked this up to a dumb move on my part. Does anyone have insight into this

goingfor60
Shannon
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 21:49
Registered Member

Stats: 137/132/122
BF:
Progress: 33%
Unhappy Yikes...

I'm not having that problem...but I WAS wondering if there was any effect on the reliability of the pill??? Any experts out there?? I have two beautiful daughters and I'm done. The last thing I want while trying to lose wt. is to gain another 35 lbs.!!! Ugh!

I'm mid-induction and just had a very normal period.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 06:08

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Well, I'm not on the pill, yet my periods always come regularly.

The last two didn't!

They were early and talk about freaky! Normally it only lasts a couple of days then off it goes.

These last two months the flow has been unbelievable

Last period had me a little frightened (I was shopping with a Client and chatting away when all of a sudden, my insides felt like they were coming out. I rushed off to the bathroom and was amazed at what I saw.) The feeling alone was something I never experienced before?

I'm not worried on health matters as I feel a good flow and clots leaving the body is a good thing. I chalk it down to this woe, my body adjusting to weight loss (like my hair loss).

I'm going to guess this will settle down as time goes on, if I ever get in to see my doctor, most likely I will mention this too

Oh almost forgot, my daughter who is following this woe too (She is 18), had finished her TOM and then two weeks later it started again. She wasn't too impressed!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 06:20

Plan: 6 week body makeover
Stats: 225/185/190 Male 5.8
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally posted by numberonewendy
Oh almost forgot, my daughter who is following this woe too (She is 18), had finished her TOM and then two weeks later it started again. She wasn't too impressed!

Hi Wendy!!

First of all you dont look old enough to have a 18 year old daughter! .. Second, I think it is a safe assumption to think the pill is less reliable and a back up method should be used. I know for myself ( I dont have kids ) If I were to become pregnant it would be the worst possible thing that could happen to me!! I am 28 and without children for a reason! lol... Guess its time to abstain from sex...backup method or not I am not taking any chances!

BTW: it's 7:21am what the hell am I doing up?? LOL

Hugs,
Shannon
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 07:51

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have been on the induction diet for about a week, initially I had really good weight loss, but yesterday morning the scales showed an increase, I weighed myself this morning and there was a 2 KILO (4ish pounds) increase, I even checked on another scale. My hip measurement went up too. I started my TOM today, I'm hoping that is the cause. I have never noted such a weight gain before. I am feeling so bloated.
Has anyone else noted these sort of symptons themselves?

Cheryl
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 07:51

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%

Dieting can alter your menses, but it usually stops not the other way around. Usually because of poor nutrition. I have never heard any talk about low carbing effecting BCP's. Has anyone read anything to the contrary?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 11:23

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default my 2 cents

For what it's worth....I think we can expect changes to our cycles as we grow older (and not necessarily ones we like). I remember a friend who reached 40...have massive changes and her Dr. indicated it had to do with her age..

This definitely can't be an 18 year olds situation though!!

If this is a low carb related problem...I'm sure someone out there will have asked their Dr. and they'll be able to share that knowledge.

I'm curious too.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 20:07

BF:

I agree Sharon....Our periods do change when we get older...that is why I said this about me.....Shannon, thank you for your compliement...I am 43, and yes am old enough to have a daugter of 18 *sigh* LOL...( a son too, that is 20).

My periods have been like.... two days flow for pretty much 4 yrs now. My last two periods have changed quite some. I look at it as my wol. Lets face it girls. My body is changing. My hair is falling out also which I understand from another thread is normal, and new will grow in.

I mentioned my daughter only, as like me she is regular, yet here she is on this woe too. Our cylcles must change to some degree, as our bodies are too

Just my thoughts
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 20:22
Registered Member

Plan: modified PP
Stats: 186/150/130
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default same problem

Blondie,
I had the same experience after about a month of lc. Everything is find now, but it was odd.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 20:25
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have been scouring the web, and poring over my shelves of texts and books all day over this ... and I can find no link at all between lowcarbing and irregular menses or faulty contraception.

There are plenty of links with faulty INSULIN and our hormones though so there may be a key. Lowcarb diets are prescribed for PCOS, to help normalize insulin and hence return to normal ovulation cycles. It may be that during the early weeks of lowcarbing, there will be some hormonal shifting until insulin levels stabilize.

It's important to eat regularly, have protein and carbs spread somewhat evenly through the day (as opposed to one big wham in the evening) in order to keep insulin stable. So there's a reminder for those of us who skip meals or undereat

I'll keep looking though, and if I find anything more about lowcarb and abnormal menstruation, I'll be sure to post.

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 20:53

BF:

I appreciate this Doreen, one likes to know if any info out there.

I notice you say in the early stages of LC this can happen. At first my thoughts were..nope...I've been Low Carbing since March...but then as I read on, I read that you mention meals missed.....I've been guilty of that for the last few weeks....maybe this is the reason for the last period being rather freaky???

I will keep a check on this, and ask my daughter to watch also.

Gosh, its so easy to miss a meal on this woe...
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 06:02
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Well, I've been doing low carb for almost a year now. I have experienced no menstral side effects related to it. I do not use the pill however, I have had an IUD for the past 8 years. That has it's own side effects of long, heavy periods. I just got my IUD out last month because we want another baby. I now weigh about what I weighed before I had my daughter. I read up on Atkin's that pregnant women should go on maintenance and have a fruit a day. I've been taking my folic acid in addition to my vitamins and chromium picolinate. My plan is to never have any carbs with supper unless it's salad or vegetables. We've been doing a lot of celebrating lately, got a new job, found a new house, going to be moving, came into a little money. So I haven't been following low carb as strictly as I had been. But, my shape has changed sufficiently for me to wear some clothes in size 12! I always wore size 14 as a young adult, and I had been up to size 18. The first day I got my size 12 jeans, I didn't think that they would fit just yet, but that they would be my goal. Well, to my surprise they slipped right up and zipped and buttoned. I ran around the house singing and dancing, "My body is bootylicious, baby!" which my husband soon got tired of, but he had to agree. Since we're moving this week, and it's been very hot, I didn't think that having peanut butter bread for breakfast would be such a crime. Oh well, the scale will tell me later. Support to all!

Elihnig
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 08:06
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Elihnig, thanks for the reminder about taking supplements.

Indeed, I read several sources that stressed the importance of nutrition for hormonal regulation, in particular magnesium, vitamin B6 and omega3 fatty acids. Magnesium isn't just a women's concern ... it helps regulate the male hormones too .. Magnesium is usually combined with Calcium, in a 2(cal):1(mag) ratio. Minimum 400mg per day of magnesium.

Vitamin B6 can be taken as a separate supplement, but make sure that you're also taking a supplement containing all of the other B's. (a once-daily multiple vitamin & mineral supp. is perfect). They work together .... taking only one type of Bvitamin can lead to an imbalance/deficiency of the others.

The omega3 fatty acid GLA can be obtained directly from Evening Primrose or Borage Oil supplements. Or, the body can convert LA from flax oil to GLA. Gotta love that flax

hope this is helpful,

Doreen
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 09:26

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Can't help on this one as I stopped taking the pills when I was 27 and had my tubes tied.

I haven't noticed since being on this diet that my cycle has changed.