Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 21:06
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 153/146/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%
Unhappy I'm ready but...

I have the BFL book and journal and have contemplated starting many times but needed to get my diet under control before I added even more confusion to my life. I also read the wonderfully complete thread by Nat but I have some newbie questions still:
  • Do you all keep the 6 meals about the same size? IOW, can they be the regular three plus three snacks? The planning involved to consistently get in the 6 meals is off-putting.
  • I love cardio and hate the idea of limiting it to 20 minutes. I know too much can actually impede progress but is anyone doing BFL while maintaining their biking or running schedule? I'm doing this for health, not definition...is that a stupid statement? I know Nat said too much cardio can diminish muscle.... Guess I'm still a little confused about this issue
  • Do you do the exercises exactly as spelled out in the journal? It's boring to do the same sets (sorry) and there are other options that target the same muscles. It shouldn't matter that much as long as I'm targeting the right muscle, right?
  • They're LONG training sessions, aren't they?? I have lots of playlists but am curious about others' lifting soundtracks. What are you all listening to?
TIA!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 06:29

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hiyah Optimist Doing this for health reasons is one of the prime reasons many of us picked up this little book. Definition is just a bonus! Getting all your ducks in order before you started was definitely a good idea. If you like structure and order you should enjoy the next 12 weeks - and you've definitely found a great place to get answers to questions. If you scroll back a few pages in this forum you'll find posts from when this area first started up - lots of good information is burried back there. As for your list of questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist
Do you all keep the 6 meals about the same size? IOW, can they be the regular three plus three snacks? The planning involved to consistently get in the 6 meals is off-putting.
The idea behind the 6 meals is to consistently be supplying your body with the protein and energy it needs to repair the tissue you're shredding with your resistance workouts. I realize that getting your head around eating that many meals a day can be daunting, but I can honestly say that after 18 months of eating this way I can't imagine not doing it. The biggest hurdle for me was planning out meals that were smaller - you're trying to make it through 3 or 4 hours, not 6, so you need less fuel. I found using fitday to preplan 4 or 5 common meals I enjoyed made this easier - I could just mix and match the meals throughout the week. Having a protein shake post workout set to deliver x amount of carbs / protein also made life easier - one less 'meal' to deal with!

Quote:
I love cardio and hate the idea of limiting it to 20 minutes. I know too much can actually impede progress but is anyone doing BFL while maintaining their biking or running schedule? I'm doing this for health, not definition...is that a stupid statement? I know Nat said too much cardio can diminish muscle.... Guess I'm still a little confused about this issue
Too much HIIT will definitely be catabolic. Doing slower long cardio occasionally isn't as big a deal - just make sure you're eating your 6 meals with adequate protein (do you like how I snuck that one in again? lol) Something else to think about - if you've been doing long slow cardio for years (like many of us had) then this is going to be big change (i.e. shock to the system). Shocks to the system can often result in dramatic results.

Quote:
Do you do the exercises exactly as spelled out in the journal? It's boring to do the same sets (sorry) and there are other options that target the same muscles. It shouldn't matter that much as long as I'm targeting the right muscle, right?
The best advice is usually to do the sets / exercises as described for your first 12 weeks - until you're very familiar with the different exercises and how they target your muscles. Keep in mind that you are to change the exercises you do every 4 weeks or so (this is about how long it takes for your muscles to adapt to what you're doing) By the time week 5 rolls around you'll have done some searching and you'll have 2 new exercises picked out that target all muscle groups. Remember, you're not working out those areas more than 2x a week - sometimes only one time a week. I never really found myself bored.

Quote:
They're LONG training sessions, aren't they?? I have lots of playlists but am curious about others' lifting soundtracks. What are you all listening to?
They should run between 40 and 50 minutes - well under the 60 minute recommended limit. They will take longer at the outset as you get used to the routine, though. I never listend to anything, to be honest - I would have the TV on although I didn't pay much attention to it, sorry can't help much here!

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 17:40
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%

As always Nat has gave a great reply. Thanks

I'd just like to add my way of getting in the 6 meals. I prep my breakfast lunch and dinner juat as I would before doing BFL, then cut each meal in half and have half now and half 2-3 hours later.

I've just bought so protein shake for the first time. I'm going to use it only after my workouts.

I'm just the oposite of you Optimist, I hate cardio. But I haven't missed one cardio day yet in 8 weeks. This is definately a record for me. I was feeling a little ill this morning and really didn't want to go for a run, but I did it cause there is no way I'm not going to make it the twelve weeks now.

I'm like Nat. I don't hear the music or TV when I'm working out, so tunes don't matter much to me, I just listen to whatever is on at the gym. But I recently read an article that said listining to music helps people lifting and doing cardio, because it acts as a distraction and gives people something other than themselves to focus on.

Good luck to you.

Arnie
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 23:22
Registered Member

BF:

Hiya, Nat! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my very newbie questions. I feel sorta like I've been graced with the presence of a celebrity since I devoured you posts and followed every single link! I have tons of books and videos yet I'm still a lump so, obviously, expert advice was desperately required!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrushka
Too much HIIT will definitely be catabolic. Doing slower long cardio occasionally isn't as big a deal - just make sure you're eating your 6 meals with adequate protein (do you like how I snuck that one in again? lol) Something else to think about - if you've been doing long slow cardio for years (like many of us had) then this is going to be big change (i.e. shock to the system). Shocks to the system can often result in dramatic results.

Nat

Okay, I can live with all that you've said - maybe even SIX meals a day (who has time to stop six times to eat???) - and I can live with shorter cardio...for 12 weeks. I have one tiny question re the post workout protein shake: I prefer Nature's Plus Keto Shake which has 2g carb and 23 g protein with two T flax meal or a healthy oil. How's that?

I've got a bang up play list planned, btw, full of some kind of music I can't classify, I think it's called Chill Out or something. When I firsted started training on my spinner it was Trance (did I mention I was 45?!) and now it's R&B and jazzy stuff for a nice steady pace at high tension. I even found a CD of Mozart against a background of trickling water that I've cycled to (slow hills)! It's such a retreat after a hectic day, a chance just to move without thinking, thinking, thinking! Will I defeat myself too much if I just cycle at a light tension for the heck of it...? It'll be like having to walk an extra couple of blocks every now and then, right??
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 23:34
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie_g
I'm just the oposite of you Optimist, I hate cardio. But I haven't missed one cardio day yet in 8 weeks. This is definately a record for me. I was feeling a little ill this morning and really didn't want to go for a run, but I did it cause there is no way I'm not going to make it the twelve weeks now.

Arnie

Arnie, you're so inspiring that I'm now completely torn! The six meals thing (count 'em, SIX), is a sticking point but you and Nat have somehow managed to convince me I can do it. I was just going to secretly do the weight training along with my regular cardio escapades but after re-reading Nat's good works and your post I may actually do this challenge as laid out. And, I'm not good at following directions!

What is it about BFL that has you sticking with the cardio even though you hate it? Besides you and Nat, leafing through the book again and reading the success stories is what's keeping me heading toward the challenge. Did you take a before picture?

Really, you have no idea how much of an impact you've had on me regarding this. Thank you for taking the time to respond, Arnie! And, congratulations on your great success!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 07:32

BF:

Quote:
I have one tiny question re the post workout protein shake: I prefer Nature's Plus Keto Shake which has 2g carb and 23 g protein with two T flax meal or a healthy oil. How's that? [/size]
18 Months ago I'd have said, "good plan" - but with time comes wisdom, right? Let's hope so

I'd say, go with the Keto shake, but add some berries for carbs - just a few ounces. I'd skip the flax oil post workout, however. 2 reasons. 1) fat slows absorption, and you want that protein and those carbs getting to your muscles ASAP. 2) flax oil is very unstable, adding it to a blender can damage it. If you have to use it this way, throw it in last and only for a quick pulse.

I'd toss the flax on veggies or (icky face here) slurp it in the evening off a spoon. Or... use it in an evening shake as per #2 up above.

No before pic here... Oh how I wish I had. The thing about BFL that I've noticed most of all is that it gets people on the right track - the weight lifting is not bad for you track. For years I thought if I wanted to lose fat I needed to eat less and do hours of cardio. Even to this day I limit my cardio to one session a day (I used to do two) 3 times a week. It's the weights that change your shape. I tell you there is nothing like discovering you have delts and triceps

Hiyah Arnie

Cheers,
Nat
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 07:58

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Optimist! I just finished my first week of BFL today! Have you started yet? Maybe we can help each other stay motivated to stick with it on "blah" days.

I'm having a hard time with the six meals too. What I've been doing is eating my 3 regular meals and adding a snack in the afternoon and something small before bed. I've been wondering if that will have me eating too much food, but I wasn't eating a huge amount of calories before, and for the past few days I've been really hungry, and I am working my body harder than ever before. So I'm not going to worry about reducing calories.

For cardio I run in my neighborhood, and I have some nice fast-paced mixes on my iPod. I lift at home and my soundtrack is soap operas! They don't require my full attention, I can listen along without watching.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 08:53
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=Optimist]Arnie, you're so inspiring that I'm now completely torn! The six meals thing (count 'em, SIX), is a sticking point but you and Nat have somehow managed to convince me I can do it. I was just going to secretly do the weight training along with my regular cardio escapades but after re-reading Nat's good works and your post I may actually do this challenge as laid out. And, I'm not good at following directions! :eek

What is it about BFL that has you sticking with the cardio even though you hate it? Besides you and Nat, leafing through the book again and reading the success stories is what's keeping me heading toward the challenge. Did you take a before picture? :
[QUOTE]

Hi Optimist,
I think that the thing that has me sticking with the Cardio this time is HIIT. I can do anything for just one minute and this is broke up into one-minute intervals. So I just do it one minute at a time. That makes it a little easier for me to get out the door than thinking, " Oh damn, I have to go running for an hour now." Plus, now it has just become determination to make it through the twelve weeks. And finally the real clincher is that it is working! My body is changing shape and I can see the results in the mirror, after only 8 weeks. I love having a chest and shoulders, and my big belly is way down.

I did take a before picture at the beginning of the twelve weeks. I weighed 175 then. I've lost 10 lbs in the eight weeks, but I know I've gained a lot of muscle so I must have lost more than 10 lbs. of fat.

Don't let the six meals bum you out. After two weeks it'll be easier and you'll have no problem with it. Sometimes I miss the sixth meal and only get in five, but I don't worry about it. I also do what Nat suggested and add some berriers to a protein shake for a meal sometimes.

Good Luck!
Arnie
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 08:56
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahO
Hi Optimist! I just finished my first week of BFL today!

WAY TO GO SARAHO!!!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:03
Registered Member

BF:

Nat, phew, I dodged a mistake with the fat in the shake, thanks. I only use flax meal though so should I still leave it out of the shake?

Y'know, I kinda believe weights will reshape me but I'm way over the top skeptical because they haven't in the past...when I followed my own plan. My expectations of visible results are so low my signs of progress will be progressing to heavier weights. I'm undecided about the 'before' pic - no way am I having someone snap a shot of me in my underwear or bikini. Heck, I don't even want to be subjected to THAT sight right now!

SarahO, cool artwork! Is that your back or your work?

And, oh yeah!, I'd love to both lend encouragement and have help when I start on Monday. I'm going to follow this thing (gulp) to the letter as much as possible and I've got to shop for the meals so I have things ready to just eat and then I'm (shudder) ready.

I love the iPod! Do you have a Windows or Mac version? I use my PDA with a 1/2 gig flash card but it's nearly full and I think a 'Pod can be considered 'necessary' exercise equipment, don't you??
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:11
Registered Member

BF:

[QUOTE=Arnie_gI think that the thing that has me sticking with the Cardio this time is HIIT. I can do anything for just one minute and this is broke up into one-minute intervals.
Good Luck!
Arnie[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Arnie!!

The HIIT thing is something I forgot to ask about before. What do you do, memorize the intervals?? I can use my stationary bike and a stop watch with the book on the handlebars, how do you do it when you're running??
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:28

BF:

Quote:
Nat, phew, I dodged a mistake with the fat in the shake, thanks. I only use flax meal though so should I still leave it out of the shake?
I'd keep that flaxmeal out as well - it's fat and fiber, the two things that slow absorption! If you're using flax seeds ground up try sprinkling it on your salads- adds a great nutty flavour.

Re the weights not reshaping your body - what type of plan were you following? Were you lifting to failure and how long did you wait in between sets? Also, how did you eat? As much as we like to think the exercise is key, it only account for about 20% of the results. The biggest factor is the nutrition (yes, this is me needling about the 6 meals a day thing yet again!)

Nat
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:53
Registered Member

BF:

I admit it, Nat, I wasn't eating well. The more I worked out the less apetite I had, which I thought was truly peachy. Over time I wasn't progressing in the amount I could lift and really didn't have the energy to lift to failure and, of course, didn't gain any muscle mass of note. DUH, talk about a light bulb moment - I get the food thing now! (Jeesh, I'm soooo slow sometimes!)
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:59

BF:
Lightbulb

Quote:
DUH, talk about a light bulb moment - I get the food thing now!

Yay!

I swear it's that low fat / low calorie mentality. Less is not better - but it can takes years of deprogramming until you believe it.

It helps to think of food as fuel and your body as the machine. Garbage in... garbage out.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 10:23
Registered Member

BF:

Yeah, and when I look at your stats (are those your body fat percentages?) and see how long you've been at it, I think, 'Hmmm, maybe this is possible...' No more food complaints from me!