Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 21:34

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Question on cardio combined with weights...

I've been running anywhere from 28 - 30 miles per week. Some of had suggested with that amount of running, there isn't a need for lower body leg weight training; others have suggested I should continue with my lower body weight workouts.

Even at my gym, I've received conflicting advice on this issue from various personal trainers.

Normally, it isn't an issue for me to do the leg workouts, but recently over the last couple of weeks, I decided to increase the pace of my running.

So, any observations? Ideally, should I continue my lower body weight workouts? Or, is the running enough where I can forgo the lower body weights?

Thanks,

Frederick
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 22:59

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

You should continue your lower body workout. Running is mostley cardio, and resistance workout is important to bild stronger and BIGGER muscls. Bigger muscles burn more energy..

I bike a lot but I continue to work on my legs/butt/lower-back with weights.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 20:41

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Default "Killer legs"

I have been running 30 miles a week too, having similar questions, and getting similar confusing answers.

From my readings it seems to me, it depends. What is your goal? Simply to run faster, longer - interval training, hill work the best way.
To get bigger muscles - you need something more resistance than a 10 % incline.

Having said this, I am proud to say that I have killer legs from simply running, without ever using any gym equipment. But for a woman "killer legs" are different, than for a man:-)
I heard a problem with gym training: it is hard to find the correct balance. If any of the "runner" muslces are trained musch more stronger than the others, it can casue injury during running. But you can prevent this with a good trainer.

I prefer a mixed approach. Because running is hard on my very sensitive lower back, and because I want killer butts to the killer legs, I have regular butt/lower back work-out.

I am not an expert, only shared my own experience (maybe I should post a pic of my divine legs:-), and my own readings about this subject.

Last edited by Galadriell : Wed, Aug-06-03 at 20:44.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 21:08

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:

wow! all of you are doing great! obviously exercise makes a difference! I'm just curious about something. were you able to do cardio right from the start or did you go through a transition where you didnt have quite so much energy? About how many carbs are you eating with that amount of cardio? ( especially the woman as I am a woman as well!!

And hello to arie ( i'm the hypoglycemic whom you gave that great advice to....feeling a bit better)...thank you!!

take care, kay
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 22:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriell
From my readings it seems to me, it depends. What is your goal? Simply to run faster, longer - interval training, hill work the best way.

Admittedly, I haven't read comprehensively on the subject opting more for the expediency of posting on the forum hoping for a quick informative response. LOL What can I say, I'm a product of the "instant feedback" generation? My goal is to run faster, not necessarily for longer distance. I'm quite content with running 5 miles/day average, but would like to increase my speed to around 8 mph. So, it's pretty simple for me. I just wanna run faster, and will never be the sort who runs in long distance marathons, hill races, or anything overly exotic like that.

Quote:
Having said this, I am proud to say that I have killer legs from simply running, without ever using any gym equipment. But for a woman "killer legs" are different, than for a man:-)

Ah, I would certainly hope it's different for a man! LMAO Hysterically My compliments on your "killer legs." I'm sure they're well earned. On the other hand, for me, having "killer legs" would rank about 1,999th on the list of priorities, right behind color coating my bathroom tiles with that of my favorite toothbrush.

Quote:
I heard a problem with gym training: it is hard to find the correct balance. If any of the "runner" muslces are trained musch more stronger than the others, it can casue injury during running. But you can prevent this with a good trainer.

When I increased the speed of my running the past couple of weeks, I noticed some soreness in both my calves and hamstrings. The normal type of fatigue which follows increasing distance or pace; but, makes it impractical to go through the assorted lower body leg weight workouts. The dilemma for me is, either to cross train with a bike on days of my leg workouts, or forgo them entirely for the moment. I've never been overly enthused about sitting on a bike for an hour, and am leaning towards just eschewing leg workouts until my legs fully adjust and acclimate to the faster pace.

Make sense?

Last edited by Frederick : Wed, Aug-06-03 at 22:17.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 22:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay3osu
I'm just curious about something. were you able to do cardio right from the start or did you go through a transition where you didnt have quite so much energy? About how many carbs are you eating with that amount of cardio? ( especially the woman as I am a woman as well!!

For me, during the first 3 months of low carbing, I experienced a period where vigorous cardio was noticeably more difficult than when I was consuming higher carbs. Specifically, during Induction and the immediate weeks afterwards, my runs were very strenuous, and can only be termed as extremely lackluster performance wise. However, once past induction, and as I increased carb intake combined with body beginning to adjust to burning fat, my energy for runs returned progressively over time. Now, my energy for running is exactly where it was before low carbing, and might even be higher now since I can run faster than I ever have in the past.

I'm on Maintenance now, and have been eating anywhere from 80 - 120 carbs, which for the time being, easily fuels my running. I started to feel much better during my runs once I was off Induction and raising carbs to about 50 or so.

Forgive me for casting aside etiquette and responding before "the woman." LOL

Best of luck to you,

Frederick
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 09:46

BF:

Frederick ( the running man...now there are 2 of you in CA )
I find it ettiquette enough just to respond so thank you for sharing your eperience. Makes sense. I have been lean and skinny my whole life with moderate eating and exercise (the best for me being walking my dog 3 miles every single day) so this sudden fatness has been hard on me (physically and mentally). Based on your experience, I will just take it slow (but i'm also from the "instant feedback" generation so NOT EASY!!) One more question for you, how long did it take you to reach your goal weight? Congratulations on your success and enjoy it!!!
Kay
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 10:17

BF:

Quote:
Frederick ( the running man...now there are 2 of you in CA )

LOL...Well, if the infinitely more famous "running man" wins the Governorship of CA, more amunition for you east coasters to ridicule us out here in the West. *sigh* Will that east coast bias in the media every fully disppear?

Quote:
One more question for you, how long did it take you to reach your goal weight? Congratulations on your success and enjoy it!!!
Kay

I started low carbing in Feb of this year, and monitored my weight loss on weekly. On average, I was losing about 5 - 6 lbs per month. I noticed that in the beginning, I'd lose about 2 lbs per week; but, as I had gotten closer and closer to goal weight, the loss slowed to about 1.25 lb per week. Combined with vigorous excercise, this eating regimen results in astonishingly brisk weight loss (especially if you monitor calories accurately as well to create a 300-500 calorie deficit from eat in addition to the 500-1000 deficit created by excercise, which I had done), from my experience.

If you combine both low carbing and physical activity, I have absolute conviction of your reaching goal soon enough. I look forward to congratulating you once you have!

Best of luck,

Frederick

Last edited by Frederick : Thu, Aug-07-03 at 10:18.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 21:51

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Default The "woman"s view

I preferred another low-carb program, not the Atkins. I did not have 20 carb induction period, but had a running induction period. Started with 175 lbs in February, for one month I had 45 min low impact cardio + 45 min walk-jog every day. Without any diatery changes I lost 8 lbs. Then I cut back my carbs to 40, and started a 3 short, 1 interval, 1 long run + 2 cardio /week program. I lost 7 lbs in March, 5 lbs in April-May. In June, when my long run reached 10 miles I increased my carbs to 60, still lost 3 lbs. In July I lost 3 more lbs. Now I am between 60-80. Still loosing weight. I did not have any stall.

About the killer legs. My point was, that without any other lower body workout my run improved (speed+distance) AND built muscles.

I can share a man's experience too: my Marine son is a triathloner. As a Marine he needs speed, as a triathloner he needs distance. He can do both without having any gym training. (Simply from running and cycling.)

I am familiar with the cross training soreness, that is why I prefer only run and swim, and hike. (Plus Pilates, but that is another issue:-)

P.S.: We have white bathroom tiles and white toothbrushes (I had to go to check the brushes, I never noticed their colors:-)

Last edited by Galadriell : Thu, Aug-07-03 at 21:52.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 08:55

BF:

thanks guys for the info. very helpful and nice to know that cardio can be very complimentary to lcarbing. i think that's the route i'm likely to take as i have been active my whole life...i am moving and it's stressful so i will start induction once i'm settled but will remain locarb as best i can until... ( and yes, the first thing i will do is run out and buy a new toothbrush to match my new bathroom )

**and Frederick....don't be embarrassed about whose in office there ( i'd be more embarrassed about davis) besides, i don't really see how we can form any condescending attittude about the circus tent you use for your political arena because i just moved to nyc and it's a daily freak show just walking down the street! and i LOVE it!! have a good one!