Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 06:27

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Default Gestational Diabetes

I've been following a reasonable low-carb diet during my pregnancy. This is my fourth pregnancy and the last three were all very healthy and complication free.

Now my Glucose Tolerance test has come back "abnormal" and they want me to do the 3 hour Glucose Tolerance test. (YUCK!)

Now my question: How can I possibly be developing Gestational Diabetes on a low-carb diet? This makes absolutely no sense to me as my sugar intake is extremely low, outside of naturally occuring sugars in fruits, etc.

In my past pregnancies I ate whatever I wanted (i.e., a Twinkie a day, high sugar cereals...) and I was fine, but I gained a ton of weight. This pregnancy I'm being extremely careful, the weight gain isn't as drastic and now they're talking Gestational Diabetes.

Any input? I'm really confused about what to eat.

Jeannie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 07:25
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I remember those gluclose tests, nasty. Don't panic yet though. The doctor explained to me that a high reading on the first test is quite common, and that is why they make you do the 3 hr test if the first one is abnormal. Maybe it's a case of your body not being used to sugar so it reacted more strongly to the gluclose? Not sure if that's possible, but there are always other possibilities. Wait until the 3 hr test is done, and try to relax. Stress can only raise your blood pressure and add problems. Even if you do have gd, just think, you are already accustomed to a low sugar diet and won't feel deprived

Each pregnancy is different, even with same mommy, relax and enjoy this one. You can handle obsticals that come and in a very short time you'll have a screaming child, no time to eat, and probably won't give a hoot about diet, just dream of sleep and possible showers
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 07:51

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

hi,
did you tell the doc you were l-carbing.the gtt is not reliable if your carb consumption is less than 150 grams per day for at least 3 days before the test.my doc said i had to increase carbs to 150gs for 2 weeks before the test.there is a bit about it in dandr.

christine
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 09:45

Plan: pp
Stats: 167.6/164/140 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 13%

My sister in law had gd. She was put on a low carb diet to help control it.
It could very well be a coincidence. Also,the 1st test could have been a false positive, they are pretty common.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 10:17

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Exclamation Thanks~

Just want to say thanks to all of you who responded. I do think it's rediculous to think I'm developing diabetes while eating a low-carb diet. It just makes absolutely no sense at all.

With the info I read in the Atkin's book about how if you are eating low carb you won't get a realiable result with this test, I think I'm going to consult my dr. and request instead that they allow me to re-do the 1 hour test after I've eating higher carb for about 1 week.

I really, really can't imagine that result being accurate. I could understand it if I had a family history of this or if I was eating donuts every day. When most of my carbs are made up of low-glycemic fruit, where's the logic???

'preciate all the responses. I needed some support.

Jeannie
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 11:26
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I think everyone else has a good handle on the situation and you should stop worrying. No way do you have diabetes!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 13:40
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

Gestational diabetes isn't caused by the level of carbs you eat. Being overweight, over 35 yrs, previous birth of a large baby, family history of Type 2 diabetes or insulin resistance are the known risk factors.

It's triggered by hormones secreted from the placenta .. which can block the action of the mother's insulin. This leads to insulin resistance. The physical stress of the pregnancy itself stimulates the adrenal glands to produce extra adrenaline and cortisol. Increased cortisol = increased blood sugar. The higher blood sugar + insulin resistance = diabetes.

You can read more about gestational diabetes from the American Diabetes Association.

Since you're going to up your carbs for a few days anyway in order to have the 1 hr test repeated, I think it might be wise to just go ahead and do the 3 hr test. Just to be safe. If you wait a week to repeat the 1 hr test, and it still shows elevated sugar level, you'll have to do the 3 hr test anyway. It would be better to know for sure sooner rather than later .. if it's normal, then you can relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. If it's abnormal, then you can start treatment right away.

{{hugs}} to you, and I hope it all turns out well.

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 11:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi,
My best friend just went through this with her second pregnancy. They told her the level is set very low on the first test so they make sure they dont miss anyone and she passed the 3 hour test with no problems. They also said that gestational diabetes should really be called "carb intolerance" and that the baby just wasnt handling carbs well. That was not the case since she is fine. I really dont think you have it but I would do the 3 hour test because that will be the one that really counts.
Donnie
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 17:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Jeannie:
Thank you for this post. I am concerned about this because I am attempting IVF right now and that is my next fear if I am lucky enough to get pregnant. I've been doing Atkins for 10 weeks and have no history of diabetes in my family or elevated BG with myself, however, I am 37 years old and this will be my first pregnancy and I am about 25 lbs overweight (when I started Atkins my BMI said I was obese...just barely but I was there).

I am crossing my fingers for you and PLEASE post and let us know how the blood work comes out ok?

Donnie:
thank you for your post as well. It put my mind at ease to read your post.
Atkins does say that pregnant women should ONLY be on Lifetime Maintenance while pregnant, so I will make very smart choices with carbs and I'm spending August working my way up to OWL. I have pounds and pounds of frozen strawberries and blueberries I got at Costco (what a steal... something like $1.00 a lb on the strawberries) so that will help me stay on track with nutritious carbs.

That darned ADA article on the subject just left me feeling nervous although I am sure that was not their intent. I felt like they were saying, "hey we're stumbling around in the dark and here are the BAAADDDD things that can happen and here are the 'demographics' of the disease." Oh boy!

I sure do hope that for the health of MOST Americans, the ADA will come around to the Atkins WOE. It makes me so sad to think of so many people suffering needlessly at this very moment.