Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 12:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

I take the following list of recommended vitamins, minerals and supplements which has been reduced to those most beneficial while trying to minimize the binders such as magnesium stearate, stearic acid and dicalcium phosphate.

Multi-Vitamin and Minerals, w/o iron for men and postmenopausal women.
B-100 Complex w/o iron for proper body metabolic processes.
Magnesium, essential for proper heartbeat and nerve transmission.
Chromium GTF, blood sugar control, weight, diabetes and heart disease.
Boron helps to maintaining strong bones. Affects calcium and magnesium metabolism.
Biotin, releases energy from foods. Plays a role in metabolism of amino acids.
Betacarotenoids, converted by the body to vitamin A as needed.
Selenium, vital antioxidant to inhibit the oxidation of lipids (fats).
Vitamin C, Ester, antioxidant fights colds, infections, allergies and disease.
Vitamin E, antioxidant and heart acts to protect cells from heavy metals.
Vitamin K, needed for proper blood clotting.
Choline & Inositol Vitamins for liver, depression and diabetes.
Octacosonol, endurance, stamina, and increases oxygen.
Alpha Lipoic Acid, liver & coenzyme.
CoEnzyme Q10, heart, cancer and immune system, required by every cell.
Cod Liver Oil, DHA and EPA Omega-3, skin, cells, heart and blood vessels.
Betaine Hydrochloride for protein diet in people over 40 years of age.
Folic Acid for the metabolism of fats, amino acids, DNA and RNA.
Vitamin B-12 for prevention of macular degeneration and Alzheimer's Disease.
Lutein complex for the prevention of macular degeneration.

The following web page is the result of my research into treatments for fibromyalgia for a relative who improved greatly even though she did not follow it precisely. She did reduce carbohydrates and increase meats and natural fats in her diet which is the major benefit.

Fibromyalgia - News You Can Use.

Also check out my low-carb nutrition page at:

The Ultimate Nutrition Program for Healing and Health

Kent
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 13:10

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

great site, Kent. Well researched (at least you and I have done similar on-line research and reading!) and nicely designed.

Have you read the research links at www.eatwild.com ? The site promote free-range meats, offers links to suppliers (it's how I found the cow I'm eating my way through now), and has many excellent links to well-researched data on what nutrients free-range meats (and, I believe, eggs) have that commercial meats do not
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 13:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

Lessara---Im not exactly sure what bee pollen is for, I believe for the immune system and energy. What I take is "bee pollen energy" which seems to give me a boost. KENT---thanks so much for the info on FM! After reading the article, it backs up exactly what I have been saying. I follow almost all of those guidelines and have put myself in remission. BUT one thing I dont understand is it says DONT take flaxseed, borage or primrose oils? I do..lol actually for PMS....do U know why I should take them?
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 14:15

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

GWilson38, flax seed oil can be a good source for Omega-3 fatty acids but some people cannot break the molecules into the EPA and DHA components. This is expecially true of American Indians from coastal regions. Cod live oil already has these EPA and DHA components ready for the body to use.

Primrose and borage are a source for Omega-6 fatty acids but should not be overdone. The ratio of Omega-3 to -6 is very important. A good book to read is "Know Your Fats" by Dr. Mary Enig. I use almond oil on salads as a great Omega-6 source and much less expensive the primrose or borage in capsules.

Razzle, thanks for the nice comments about my site and the link to www.eatwild.com. I would like to eat all free range beef, chickens and eggs but have do so to date. I wish I were a rancher and could raise my own. Dr. Mercola is a big fan of low-carb and free range beef and eggs. Check out his site. His search engine is great for searching health conditions and cures with over 15,000 pages, and don't forget to signup for the free email newsletter.

Dr. Mercola - Home Page

Kent
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 06:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Centrum multi vitamin once a day
Potassium 100 mg 3 times a day
Cal-Mag 333/167 3 times a day
B50 complex once a day
Vitamin E 400 IU once a day
Selenium 50 mcg once a day
Biotin 300 mcg once a day
Chromuim 200 mcg once a day
Vitamin C 500 mg twice a day
Evening primrose oil 6 caps a day
Flax seed oil, 1 tablespoon, usually poured over a salad prior to adding oil and vinegar dressing

I also invested in a very extensive vitamin. mineral and herbal supplement encyclopedia to find out more about the things I'm taking. I was concerned about maximum does, toxicity effects, and interactions with other vitamins and drugs.

Many of the things we take need other vitamins and minerals to be absorbed properly, or for enhanced effects, or need to be taken at specific times, empty stomach, full stomach etc.. For example, Vitamin E and Selenium should be taken together. B1 needs magnesium and vitamin C. It appears to me that unless you are taking the right "combinations" at the right times you may not be getting the biggest bang for your buck with the money you are spending.

The other eye opener, is how these things are absorbed. Some are water soluble (like the vitamin Bs) so that toxicity is rare, as excess is flushed out in the urine. Others are absorbed only in the intestines, or need fatty acids and bile to be absorbed. In some , excesses are stored in the liver, which could be problems in high doses for long periods of time.

In answer to the question why take all these things when you can get them from eating naturally...well, according to the book, some things we can't get enough of through regular foods, or the volume of the food we would mave to eat to get a daily allowance is impossible to eat.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 18:34
Registered Member

Stats: 260/239/160
BF:
Progress: 21%
Lightbulb Good Subject!!!

Every morning on an empty tummy, I take L-Carnitine and Chromium Picolinate. After each meal I take 1 Atkins #3, 1,000 Vit. C, Essential 3-6-9 and L-Glutamine. I also take CoQ10, Vit. E, Calcium, Green Tea Extract, Ginkgo Biloba and High Protease Digestive Aid with Plant Enzymes and Pau D'Arco.
No wonder I'm hardly hungry....lol
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 20:05

BF:
Default Hi Anya

I havent seen U post before so nice to meet U! ...I have checked a couple health food stores and I cant get l-carnitine here. are U ordering it from the states?
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 08:39

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Hi gwilson38

You can order L-carnitine on line here:

http://www.vitaminscanada.com/products.htm

They also have lots of other supplements that are hard to find
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 08:49

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Re: Bee Pollen?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lessara
What do you need bee pollen for? That has me curious.

Energy, energy, energy, I have thousands of flowers in my garden each year and I can see why the bees are busy, by all the pollen they have collected.

One of natures super food, I am taking the capsules right now, but I want to buy some in the bulk by the pound, more expensive but much better as I've been told. Just waiting for my health food store to get some in.

Bee Pollen:
All 22 elements of the human system.
All essential amino acids and is a complete protein.
Vitamins A, B Complex series C, D, E, K and Rutin.
28 Minerals, Trace Mineral needed for good health.
Enzymes and Co-Enzymes necessary for good digestion.
Weight Loss And Control, Increased Energy, Reduces Allergies,
Respiratory Distress, Healthy Skin, Reduces Acne,
Improves Digestion of Other Foods, Corrects Prostate Disorders,
Enhances Athletic Performance, Promotes Feeling of Well Being,
Benefits Ulcer Patients, All-in-one Nutrition System

http://beepollennu.hypermart.net/beepollen.html
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 09:17

Plan: protein power, Atkins
Stats: 275/254/175 Female 70 inches
BF:53/41/21
Progress: 21%
Default Babs

I'm with you sister.

I take 1 mulivitamin a day and potassium for the first few weeks of protwein power (so should be getting off those shortly) But that's it! Nothing more nothing less.

I have never been a big believer in putting extra pills/vitamins/anything into my body. Except all those extra carbs! LOL Thank goodness I've learned about the carbs....

Take care all

Messy
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 01:31

Plan: pp
Stats: 135/129/125
BF:
Progress: 60%
Thumbs up Potassium/Energy/Fibromyalgia/Meds/Tremors/TMJD/etc

I'm so excited to see that there are so many other people taking potassium supplements...especially others that have fibromyalgia like me. I'm only 22 years old, so I guess I'm pretty inexperienced in the area of supplements...although I'm more experienced in the area of medicine. Sadly, I'm taking five different medications, and even though some of the meds do help, my pain is still there. The meds help other things, like my mood. I'm on topomax, klonopin, neurontin, wellbutrin, and zoloft. Sounds fun, doesn't it? I've been increasingly interested in things such as yoga...and I think I will be taking a beginner ballet class (I am tall and lanky with very long legs, so I'm sure I'll do well...and my family is hyperflexible). It just scares me that I have to depend on so many different meds...especially because I had an experience where I went through klonopin withrawal once when I didn't have it for a few days because I forgot to call in my refill for some reason. I was at work (during the summer), and I was so dizzy that I felt as if I was about to faint, I was so shaky...it was terrible.
ANYWAY, what I wanted to say was that potassium has definitely helped me. I can tell that it gives me energy and helps me with my fatigue. If I forget to take it, I'm much more tired. It's amazing.
Oh, I was also wondering if anyone out there knows anything about hand tremors....if so, please e-mail me. I went to a neurologist, and he pretty much blew me off...claiming that it was OCD (which I had when I was little, but not anymore)....and it's odd because my left hand shakes much more than my right. There's a drastic difference. Very weird. Anyone else have TMJ/TMJD? Even though I graduated as an English major (I plan on going to med school, though)...I just want to apologize if there are any spelling errors because it's almost 2:30 am Sorry that I rambled so much! Thanks to all of you that read all of this!
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 20:23

BF:
Default hey dweezappa

I too have fibromyalgia...since I was a kid but didnt really notice it until after the birth of my daughter 13 yrs ago..Im 37. About 10 yrs ago I was very sick with FM did a lot of research tried different things and now with low-carbing I have actually put my self in remission....Im off all meds! I do take lots of vitamins tho. I wish U the same success with your FM.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 13:37

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 161/130/132 Female 5'7"
BF:40%/?/We'll see
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
Vitamins C & B
Cal/Mag/K supplement
Multi Vitamin without iron
(...)
Karen

Hi Karen,

I remember reading the "no iron" part in the BOOK (!) but I would like to know the explanation, as I have borderline anaemia. Does it contain carbohydrates?

I only take Jamieson's Super Vita-Vim (level 3 Potency) and it says "no starch" on the container...

Agnes (induced at 3 weeks!).
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 14:34
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
I remember reading the "no iron" part in the BOOK (!) but I would like to know the explanation, as I have borderline anaemia. Does it contain carbohydrates?

People on an LC way of life often eat plenty of meats and other iron sources, getting in thier daily recomended amount. In higher doses iron can build in the blood and be poisonous. If you aren't eating a ton of meat though, you can probably safely take a suppliment that does comtain some iron. If you have any doubts use an account at www.fitday.com Enter your suppliments as custom foods, then keep track of what you take along with what you eat. At the end of a day check the report "Am I meeting my nutricional needs?" If the iron count is extreamly high consistantly, then you may want to find an iron free vitamin. Even with my multivitamin I am only at around 180% RDA of iron, so I don't worry about searching out an iron free suppliment.