Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 19:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 271/261.0/200 Male 69 inches
BF:I sweat butter...
Progress: 14%
Angry Metabolically Challenged...you losing slowly too???

I am one of those on the Atkins diet that are metabolically resistant ( or is it insulin resistant? ) Any-hoo, I am doing everything right...never cheated...less than 20 carbs a day...plenty of water... I check that I am in ketosis via strips...ect, ect, ect...except I don't exercise. I've only lost 10 lbs. in 5 weeks. I will continue to stay with the diet as long as I lose weight and because I generally feel better on it then I did before dieting. Also, I don't have a problem sticking to it...I think it's easy ! So...how about the rest of you who are "resistant" . What is your story? What have you done to overcome this or make it better? Wanna start a club...let's see ...gotta come up with a name...how about La Resistance...or Still Fat...or Slow Movers...any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 19:38

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hi PM! Have you checked out the turtle club sub-forum on here? Also have you read the chapter on the metabotically resistant in Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution? He has lots of tips. You are doing good if you are losing is the way I look at it. I know it gets discouraging sometimes. Just hang in there! Plenty of support here! Good luck!

P.S. Body fat...I sweat butter hahahahah! Thats a good one PM. Love that!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 20:21

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I don't think you can really claim resistance until you try some exercise ; = D !! Are you unable to ?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 20:29

The reason I claim I am without excercising is that I've heard of people, and met people who've lost 30, 40, 50+ pounds on Atkins without excercising...so why can't I?

In fact, I do exercise a bit...I have to spatula my butt cheeks in to my pants every morning and that works up quite a sweat...
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 20:34

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Monk
The reason I claim I am without excercising is that I've heard of people, and met people who've lost 30, 40, 50+ pounds on Atkins without excercising...so why can't I?

In fact, I do exercise a bit...I have to spatula my butt cheeks in to my pants every morning and that works up quite a sweat...

LOL Oh boy..what a visual to send me off to sleep with ! I guess everyone is different...but walking is a easy way to get into some exercise without throwing up ;=).
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 20:57
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

There ARE a lucky bunch that seem to just whisk away the pounds, but most of us are either not that lucky, or not that active. I never really "exercised" but had a job that required a lot of activity. Now that I'm out of work, I'm really struggling. For the first time in ages, I've had to formally plan some activity into my day. I'm getting there, but it's different!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 21:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/152/125 Female 65
BF:???
Progress: -8%

Well things could be worse... i exercise a lot, have be LCing for five weeks, and have gained 2 lbs. congrats on the 10 lost... maybe you could find exercise that doesn't FEEL like exercise... work outside, walk somewhere (like the video store or supermarket) etc... a little bit will go a long way if you aren't used to it!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 21:33

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

Asking why can't you be like people on Atkins who lose without exericise is like asking why can't you be like that person who stays incredibley thin while eating junk constantly. Some of us aren't that lucky and have to work our butts off. But in the end it is worth it.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 22:53
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Reread New Diet Revolution. Atkins states quite clearly that exercise is not negotiable, and if you aren't doing exercise, then you ar enot doing Atkins. He suggests starting small like walking, or if you have physical limitations finding something you can do, but exercise is a must.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsbyjas
Well things could be worse... i exercise a lot, have be LCing for five weeks, and have gained 2 lbs. congrats on the 10 lost... maybe you could find exercise that doesn't FEEL like exercise... work outside, walk somewhere (like the video store or supermarket) etc... a little bit will go a long way if you aren't used to it!

I gained 1.5 pounds in my second week! I freaked out. I guess I am happy that I have lost weight but I am also disapointed because I had such high expectations with this diet. I think another problem is my body type. I've always been stout,wide, thick, husky, ect.. I carry 172 lbs of lean mass on my frame. It is probably going to be hard to train my body to lose weight. Maybe my body is holding onto it's calories for dear life !
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
Reread New Diet Revolution. Atkins states quite clearly that exercise is not negotiable, and if you aren't doing exercise, then you ar enot doing Atkins. He suggests starting small like walking, or if you have physical limitations finding something you can do, but exercise is a must.

okay, okay, you got me...I'm not doing Atkins. I am doing Atkins sans exercise...." Laxkin's "
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 05:57

Stats: 186/175/147 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

I am in my 3rd week and things are going okay I think.. For weightloss week 1 was 6 pounds, week 2 was 2 pounds and week 3 so far (I measure from Monday to Monday) is 1 pound...

I have recently got married and have not done exercise in some time (and work at a desk) and I did no excercise week 1, week 2 I decided to dig out the running shoes (used to do a lot of running) and start up and have been exercising 4 days a week the last week and a half..

Now the weightloss slow down was really getting me down until I re-read a bit of the Atkins book where he emphasised measuring yourself over weighing yourself and this have cheered me up no end becasue dispite only losing 3 pounds in the last week and a half I have lost an inch off my thighs and an inch and a half off my waisted (thats the relaxed waist, no sucking the gut in to measure.. ).. And my belt has been tightened a notch.. And in the end, if I end up skinny and toned I really don't care what weight I am...

The lesson is don't just measure your weight..

Last edited by Bob_the_In : Wed, Aug-06-03 at 06:00.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 06:28

Stats: 195/184/135 Female 5ft 2in
BF:
Progress: 18%

just wondering...has anyone here used a scale that claims to show body fat percentage? i wonder if it would show if you were losing fat but gaining lean muscle, which would account for the scale staying the same or going up a little.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 08:41

Stats: 150/152/125 Female 65
BF:???
Progress: -8%

Pale Monk... if you truly carry that much lean mass,i would focus more on measuring. I actually carry a LOT of lean mass (i am a college athlete!!) and so I guess I might never reach goal... but maybe my old clothes will fit!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 08:46

Stats: 255.5/196/150 Female 68" inches
BF:39%/30%/23%
Progress: 56%

Please be patient...it matters not how fast you lose it...but just the fact that you are losing it. Sometimes taking supplements will help. I started taking extra Chromium and L-caratine and that jump started my loss. I dont exercise much but I have a job where i am on my feet 6 hours or more a day and moving around. Exercise is definately a plus!