Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 13:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 243/243/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Fat and Calories!

Where do they go? I mean everything that has low carbs and alot of protien that I have seen has mega fat and calories...Im so blind at where all this fits! Amazing!

Oh and one more thing..I work out on the threadmill for 65 mins every other day..I like to sweat alot but doing this low carb/protien thing I dunno if thats just too much of a work out on my body..Can someone please help me? Thanx
Michelle

Last edited by November : Mon, Aug-04-03 at 13:53.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 14:48

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by November
Where do they go? I mean everything that has low carbs and alot of protien that I have seen has mega fat and calories...Im so blind at where all this fits! Amazing!
Hi Michelle! This is probably the best explanation of what happens to the fat and calories you eat when you LC. It also explains why it's important to eat that fat and those calories - eating just protein is NOT eating LC, nor is it enjoyable or sustainable.

Scared to Eat FAT!

As for the exercising - if your current regime is too much for you as your body switches from burning glucose to burning fatty acids it will let you know. You may feel lethargic, tired and over all "blah". It takes a few weeks before this passes - decreasing the intensity, keeping water and calories at a consistent levle and taking the supplements recommended in the book will all help speed this up.

Cheers,
-Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 15:03

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I had to completely change my thinking about diets when I started Atkins. I had years of low fat, low calorie ideas ingrained in me. Those thoughts helped me lose weight in the past but as Nat said it's not sustainable. I would get tired of being hungry and gain the weight back. Atkins is different and believe me, I started it as a total skeptic. The fat gives you satisfaction with your food. You're not hungry all time and you still lose weight! I've been on the diet for less than 9 weeks and have lost 39 lbs. Now everybody varies in their weight loss, mind you but I'm just saying that this works! It really does. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 15:19

Stats: 243/243/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Thank you both so much!

Ahhh the info you all give us here helps so much..Im so addicted to comeing here everyday to learn more about this diet..Im so excited now lol! But yes thanx for the info it means a great deal to me since I can not afford the book and all!
Michelle
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 15:38

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hi again November! I know all about the "empty pocketbook syndrome." Ha. Just thought I would mention that Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution is out in paperback for $7.99 in mass market book stores and I found mine at Wal-Mart for under $6.00. It would help you soooo much if you had it. it is my "diet bible" and I refer to it almost daily for one reason or another!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 15:54
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 152/128??/112 Female 64 inches
BF:33%/24%/18%
Progress: 51%
Question caloric restrictions???

I just started this WOE a week ago, and am concerned about eating more calories. Similar to a lot of people who have followed low-cal, low-fat programs, I have a hard time eating this much fat and calories, although I understand the science behind it. I was just wondering how important it is to watch calories on this program, and if anyone notices a change in their rate of weight loss when they alter their caloric intake. Is there a good rule of thumb in determining how many calories should be consumed when eating LC? Thanks
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:13

Plan: Clark then Atkins (ish)
Stats: 166/155/155 Male 70 in
BF:18%/15%/15%
Progress: 100%

Hi,

I just completely, absolutely and totally ignore callories now.

Way back I was gaining weight at 1800 callories, now I loose at 2500 plus. If you don't eat carbs and fat together I find callories aren't relevant.

MikeS