Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 14:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/205/175 Male 69.5
BF:
Progress: 14%
Question Advant Edge Nutrition Bars

Advant Edge Nutrition Bars - I found these at the local walmart. It lists total carbs as 18g but Impact Carbs at only 2g. Can I eat these and only count a 2g of carb intake?

Listing:
Total Carbs 18g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugars 0g
Other Carbs 16g

The package states that the other carbs have min impact on blood sugar levels and need not be counted.

Bottom Line: Do I count total Carbs or Impact Carbs??

Thanks,
Jason
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 16:50

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 216/208.8/150 Female 65 inches
BF:mini goal 206
Progress: 11%

Most Likely 14 Of Those "other Carbs" Are Sugar Alcohols, & Like Fiber You Can Subtract Them From The Total Carbs Because They Do Have Minimal Impact On Blood Sugar. However, If You're Not Sure, Try & Find Something That Lists Sugar Alcohols & Not "other Carbs". Also, Sometimes Your Body Will Treat Sugar Alcohols Like Sugar, Causing Your Weight Loss To Stall... The Only Way To Know How Your Body Reacts To Them Is Just To Try 'em Out. Oh, & Atkin's Endulge Peanut Butter Wafer Bars (also Found At Wal-mart) Are The Best.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 16:57

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

according to ATKINS.com:

Quote:
An AtkinsTM Advantage Bar can serve as either a snack or an occasional meal replacement. Feel free to eat them during Induction as long as you continue to lose weight. (We generally recommend no more than one bar or shake a day during the first two weeks of Induction.) But keep in mind that neither the Atkins shakes nor the bars were formulated to be total meal replacements. Atkins does not recommend the use of meal replacements for more than one meal a day; instead, it is important to eat whole, unprocessed foods to learn wholesome eating habits.

That being said, you will find a myriad of information on this site, and others like it, regarding these bars. The most frequent advice ive seen given is do not use these during induction, try to stick with "whole foods" to kick your weight loss off right.. YMMV with these things, but to be honest I have seen only a small percentage of people that CAN have them without stalling (at least during induction).. so it's really up to you whether you want to 'take a chance' with them or not..

as for me, I personally cannot have them.. I have to count ALL of the carbs in these as well as the LC ice cream etc.. they also make me feel really bad (like a hangover) which tells me it is messing with my blood sugar..

also from ATKINS.com:

Quote:
Could eating Advantage bars be impeding my weight loss? This varies by individual. If you have reached a plateau and are not losing weight, try omitting the bars until weight loss resumes

this says to me that there are many people out there who have tried them and it just doesnt work for them.. afterall it is a frequently asked question on the ATKINS site itself..

HTH.. best wishes to you!! and, as always, this is JMHO
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 17:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200.5/192.5/150 Female 5'6
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 16%

Hi guys,

I have seen alot of bars out there, nver seen yet Atkins bars. Does anyone know where I would find these. I'm in ontario?? When do u eat them, I see someone said as a meal replacement? Just want to try one but cant find them, any help would be appreciated. all other bars I've seen have ton of carbs.
thanks
Devil
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 18:07

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:

here is part of the quote I posted above:

"keep in mind that neither the Atkins shakes nor the bars were formulated to be total meal replacements"

im sorry i dont know where you would find them in ontario..

HTH
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 10:02

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default Atkins bars

I'm not sure about in Ontario, but in BC Atkins bars are in every grocery store and even in some convenience stores like 7/11. We also have 3 Carb bars here that have 2.6 net carbs. I use them as an afternoon snack at work. Lots of good flavours and fairly filling, but I have been told by many that they stall people in Induction.... Come to think of it, that's probably why I am losing so s-l-o-w-l-y!!!

Have a great day.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: atkins plan
Stats: 285/285/230 Male 71"
BF:
Progress:

Well, there go my bars!
MF
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 12:06

darn , they arent in our grocery stores. Oh I think it would be ok Im going on 7 weeks! If anyone knows where to find them (hamilton, brantford ) please let me know
Thanks
devil
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 14:41

Stats: 120/114.5/98 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 25%

If you go to the Atkins site they have a section where you can put in where you live and it will tell you what stores in your area carry their products. thats how I found them in my area.
Mary-Lou
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 17:58

Stats: 310/308/200 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

I get mine from Shoppers Drug Mart or PharmaPlus
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 22:27

I have seen bars at shoppers but not the Atkins, I will look on the site thanks Mary-lou
devil
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 01:42

Stats: 315/275/180 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Bars

I was a patient of Dr Atkins he told me 2 bars or shakes a week thats it! My body was resistant to losing weight. During induction I would limit them. I have been doing Atkins since April and Im still in induction.

Good luck
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 11:43
Registered Member

Stats: //! Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%

Dallasgal...did he tell just you specifically only 2 bars or shakes per week or do you think this was his advice for everyone on induction?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:36

Plan: Clark then Atkins (ish)
Stats: 166/155/155 Male 70 in
BF:18%/15%/15%

I eat Myoplex carb sense bars now and then, don't effect me at all.

MikeS