Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 16:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins off and on
Stats: 317/163/150 Female 66
BF:"I'm melting!"
Progress: 92%
Talking Just Checking Myself In

Just registered today and would like to introduce myself officially to all you members.

I'm not a lurker, nor have I known of this board until today. I just searched for 'atkins diet' in a googles search and up this site popped.

Well, I'm no newbie to messages boards, as I'm a Steelers freak and have frequented sites for several years now, so I'll know all the 'dos' and don'ts' of message board etiquette in which to abide by.

More about me: I've lost, to date, 148 pounds. I'm slowing down on my losing ability though, and I figured, although I haven't gone Atkins' route prior, not officially anyway, I'd do it now to get me pass this plateau I've seemed to hit.

The one thing I did come on board to ask is, what is the least amount of carbs I should be intaking daily? I suppose I should have continued my search within googles, but when I saw this message board, and being an addict already of several, I couldn't resist. Besides, I'd rather be 'talking' one-on-one with people that are actually in the same boat as me than researching it ... BORING!

You'll have to forgive me, I'm a 'talker' and I can pull out the proverbial soap box when I don't realize it ... so be forewarned. Just throw something at me if I'm yakking far too much.

Again ... now I'll begin to start fishing through your threads and see who is who here. I look forward to meeting you all and 'chewing the fat' ... couldn't resist!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 16:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Welcome JM! Good to have you here! I am soooo impressed by your previous weight loss! That is super fabulous, dont 'cha know? About Atkins...during the first 2 weeks, which is referred to as "induction" you have no more than 20 grams of carbs daily. It has to be the right carbs though and for all the rules, try checking out atkins.com. If you are serious about wanting to do this diet, I highly recommend getting the book "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution" (DANDR.) You can pick up the paperback for under $6 here. If you aren't sure, just check out the website or get the book from your local library. At any rate, we are happy to have you join us and good luck!
Lori
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 21:17
Registered Member

Thank you very much Lori for the welcome, and more importantly, the carb info. I don't know a thing yet about this, so I will take up the offer of buying the book. I just want to get back down to the 145 I used to be and I have to bust this plateau. Thanks.

I've been real ashamed of the weight thing, mainly because I never was overweight like that before my 'untimely' discharge from the Navy. I had blown the whistle on some command rapes that were swept under the carpet and my life became hell for it. It was at the worse possible time; I was post partum, my marriage of 14 years was busting up, so I literally attempted to eat myself to death. If it wasn't for my daughter's unconditional love despite my appearance and self loathing, I wouldn't have lasted. But that little girl has been an angel beside me all this time and now she's so excited that I can run and play with her without getting winded. Of course she doesn't like that Mom can out run her now.

Ah, the damage such severe weight does to you, had I known .... there's so much repair work to be done, and 75% of it all upstairs. The other 25% will cost me moolah ... but that'll teach me not to do it again!

Funny though, I work in a pediatrician's office and the kid's Mom's have been watching me shrink in front of them these last two years. Some didn't really notice until I made a dent of 60lbs or more. I've heard everything from, "Are you doing Jenny Craig" "Weight Watchers?" "Hollywood Grapefruit Diet?" "Have you had Gastric Bypass surgery" "You don't have cancer do you?" and the most recent from a very observant Mom ... "Did you have a face lift?" ... LOL! Some people, as for that last comment, aren't very observant, are they?

The thing is, I did this all the old fashioned way, watching what I ate and walking (although looking back on it now, I had really reduced the carbs). I refuse to pay someone else for my stupid mistake in life, so I was going no where and pay hard earned money to lose it! No one was going to profit from my fat self! The one thing I have noticed is that all these Moms all look at me now as though I have and KNOW what that 'secret' pill is that will magically make them lose their weight. For me, it was just a matter of pulling my head out of my ... well, you know what. When I'm of the mind set, I can and will do anything, that's what got me through 16 years of exemplary military service to begin with. So, these last 24 pounds are a challenge, but a victory on hold for the moment, nothing more.

It's really interesting reading up on everyone. I like this board. If I can be of inspiration to others, that's why I'm going to stay here as well. I now know what it's like to be repulsed by strangers you don't even know. God taught me a very important lesson in life, because I used to make fun of fat people in my youth. It's not funny anymore and none of us really know how we'll truly react to life's twists and turns. I thought I knew, I was very wrong indeed.

Peace!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 21:25
Registered Member

BTW Lori ... excellent job yourself! I see that our weight is right there below our avatars. Hey, what's those 'green' thingies (for a lack of a better term) with a percentage? What does that mean?

Last edited by Just Me : Sun, Aug-03-03 at 10:22.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 21:41

BF:

The green thingys are the percentage of weight you have lost towards your goal. See how well you are doing? I know what you mean about the military. My hubby was in the Navy for 12 years and I heard a few of those "swept under the rug" stories myself. God bless the men and women that are fighting for our freedoms though! I did some of that drowning myself in food stuff too. Got to an all time high in my weight. I too have learned to never make fun of anyone. My husband always says that "time is the great equalizer" and he is right. I totally sympathize with anyone that is overweight because I've been there and I know the pain that goes with it. Your daughter must be so proud of you! Please keep sharing with us. By the way...I love your avatar!
Lori
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 10:16
Registered Member

Ah, your hubby was another one who didn't stay in, huh? I was a Hospital Corpsman, and we'd watch the excellent doctors get out and the, ah, less satisfactory ones stay in. It always seemed that way, to me personally anyway, most of the good ones left and the 'others' made it their careers. I'm sure your hubby might agree.

Well, the fools, Chief's board in DC, made the mistake of promoting the anchors onto my collar. What? They didn't think I'd use them? Tsk tsk tsk. I didn't have a choice with junior females coming up to me asking, "Chief, what if it's me next?" Both rapes occurred in our barracks over seas. So, although I used the 1-800-HOT-LINE number anonymously, I should have kept my opinions to myself? That as well as the fact that they had assigned me to conduct the investigation into one of the cases, so I got to see how unjust the whole thing was and that nothing, not a darn thing, was done to the perp. Yes, I am opinionated and speak my mind, I suppose it wasn't hard to figure out who had done the deed and cost my CO his Admiral stripes! But, I'd do it no differently if I could choose again, other than buy a muzzle.

But that's water under the ship (pun intended)!

Now it's the REAL world I'm in and REAL life I'm in the battle to win. I've just got handed another HUGE blow in my life a couple of weeks ago. What a rude awakening to reality and a punch in the chest! Now I have to watch it so I don't fall back and lose my momentum, which I've already noticed I've been doing these last 3 months when my future dreams were shattered without any forewarning. It's another reason I need to sit on this board and keep focused on my personal goal. There's only one person I've realized I can trust and count on in my life ... and that's ME with God's help!

So, I'm off and hopping around the board to distract myself now.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 16:09

BF:

My hubby was a corpsman too! Got out after making first class but went into civil service at a Naval Hospital. He was instructed to make some "changes" in test procedures to save money which he refused to do because it would have put patients lives at risk. Was told he would have to and long story short, he quit with almost 30 years in and 5 years to go to retirement age. Know what though? He can look at himself in the mirror each morning. I don't think you ever really lose by doing the right thing so try to remember that. Agree about some of the doctors too but I guess you've got good ones and bad ones everywhere. All that being said, try to not let the stress make you make wrong food choices. It just makes you more miserable in the end. Been there, done that. I know all about those huge life changes too...had several of those too. When you get your posts up where you can PM someone and they can PM you I will have to tell you some of it sometime. I think you get PM privledges the day after you make your 25th post. This forum helps take your mind off life for a while so use it to your benefit. I do!
Lori
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 16:11

BF:

One more thing to add...have you thought about starting a journal? People can respond to you there too and it helps keep track of your food, exercise, etc. I have just started mine very recently. Drop in if you want to.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 16:59
Registered Member

I just checked out your profile Lori ... LOL! You're a Virgo? Not that I follow astrology, because I don't.

I just have to let you know that you were born on my very first birthday ... just wanted you to know we share a very important day with the likes of Greta Garbo, Frankie Avalon, Lance Armstrong, and Lita Ford to name a few!

Didn't realize that PMs on this site were restricted until a certain number of posts (like that's going to delay me any). The other boad I'm on uses this same format and there's no restriction. Hmmmm.

As far as the journals ... checking them out now.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 17:18

BF:

It's a small world, no? Seems like we keep finding things in common. To be honest, I didn't know about the PM restrictions until I read about it in another post recently. I keep on learning!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 17:22

BF:

By the way...I'd say September 18th is a very good day!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 23:13
Registered Member

Stats: 229/217/175
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi Just me

I just came from my thread where you posted I was so happy to have a friend to talk to . You have lost a lot and that is a reason to be proud . i hope to lose 15 more # by the 25th of Oct. my youngest grand Daughter will be married that day and i just learned that my oldest Grand Daughter is too be married the weekend before that so Oct will will be a special month for me it is also my daughters and my birthday month the youngest grand son is a Oct. baby too Your military life sounds all so real you showed great faith and courage to do what you did and as always the men shafted you.

I will go to J journals to see if you are there I have one in E & G at the bottom of the post there is a yellow page picture with journal beside the profile and buddy lidt it takes you to that person journal.
we can do this i know we can.
grammy rene