Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 21:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins off and on
Stats: 317/163/150 Female 66
BF:"I'm melting!"
Progress: 92%

Thank you very much Lori for the welcome, and more importantly, the carb info. I don't know a thing yet about this, so I will take up the offer of buying the book. I just want to get back down to the 145 I used to be and I have to bust this plateau. Thanks.

I've been real ashamed of the weight thing, mainly because I never was overweight like that before my 'untimely' discharge from the Navy. I had blown the whistle on some command rapes that were swept under the carpet and my life became hell for it. It was at the worse possible time; I was post partum, my marriage of 14 years was busting up, so I literally attempted to eat myself to death. If it wasn't for my daughter's unconditional love despite my appearance and self loathing, I wouldn't have lasted. But that little girl has been an angel beside me all this time and now she's so excited that I can run and play with her without getting winded. Of course she doesn't like that Mom can out run her now.

Ah, the damage such severe weight does to you, had I known .... there's so much repair work to be done, and 75% of it all upstairs. The other 25% will cost me moolah ... but that'll teach me not to do it again!

Funny though, I work in a pediatrician's office and the kid's Mom's have been watching me shrink in front of them these last two years. Some didn't really notice until I made a dent of 60lbs or more. I've heard everything from, "Are you doing Jenny Craig" "Weight Watchers?" "Hollywood Grapefruit Diet?" "Have you had Gastric Bypass surgery" "You don't have cancer do you?" and the most recent from a very observant Mom ... "Did you have a face lift?" ... LOL! Some people, as for that last comment, aren't very observant, are they?

The thing is, I did this all the old fashioned way, watching what I ate and walking (although looking back on it now, I had really reduced the carbs). I refuse to pay someone else for my stupid mistake in life, so I was going no where and pay hard earned money to lose it! No one was going to profit from my fat self! The one thing I have noticed is that all these Moms all look at me now as though I have and KNOW what that 'secret' pill is that will magically make them lose their weight. For me, it was just a matter of pulling my head out of my ... well, you know what. When I'm of the mind set, I can and will do anything, that's what got me through 16 years of exemplary military service to begin with. So, these last 24 pounds are a challenge, but a victory on hold for the moment, nothing more.

It's really interesting reading up on everyone. I like this board. If I can be of inspiration to others, that's why I'm going to stay here as well. I now know what it's like to be repulsed by strangers you don't even know. God taught me a very important lesson in life, because I used to make fun of fat people in my youth. It's not funny anymore and none of us really know how we'll truly react to life's twists and turns. I thought I knew, I was very wrong indeed.

Peace!