Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 20:15

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%
Progress: 100%
Default Who here doesnt Count Carbs?

I was wondering if anyone here doesnt count carbs but eats only allowed foods? I have kind of developed an eye for how much to eat and how many carbs I can have with out counting. Tell you the truth I am getting very tired of counting everything I eat. Does this work for any of you guys?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 20:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 303/287/190 Female 5'5.5"(65.5")(166.5 cm)
BF:
Progress: 14%

So far I have not counted carbs, only eaten allowed foods, as you say. I'm feeling good and losing weight, but if that should change, I'll start counting for sure!
persimmon
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 21:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I haven't been counting either. I didn't/don't want to think that hard. I am feeling great and losing weight (albeit slowly). I have to admit, though, since I am responding to this post, that I had a bad cheat day today. It was my first and it will be my last as well. I plan to get back on track tomorrow.

The no-counting thing is working for me, however. I tried fitday but it was too much for me so I decided against it.

So, whatever works, right?

Good low-carb thoughts to all!!

Tracy
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 21:19

Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I counted everything I put in my mouth while I was on induction, and owl. Since I got closer to my goal I got tired of counting and just eat allowed foods. Since I have been on this wol I kind of know how much to eat. There are things that I look up to see how much I should eat.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 21:28

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I count but I'm not obsessive about it. I only eat allowed foods and like you said, you kinda get used to what's in what. If I am unsure about something I check it though.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 23:13

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well I have a paper journal that I counted everything in for about 60 days, then for the last 60 days, I just know what I can have, and have increased my carbs along the way. Once you are close to your goal, which can be anywhere fron 20 to 5 pounds, I figure you should be able to eat lots of allowable veggies and fruits, I don't beleive anyone got fat on veggies, right?
But in saying that, if I was to eat Pasta, spuds, bread on a daily basis, YEP I'd be counting the carbs again.

Then , LOL, that being said, I do eat bread 2-3 times a week (11 carbs), fresh new potatoes 1-2 a week, but no pasta, no rice, no white flour, no sugar. Those once I'm at my goal MAY be a once a month thing, if even that.
Gee sorry to go on here

Cheers Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 23:16

Stats: 300/291.5/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I count carbs in my journal about every 4-5 days
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 00:01
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

I counted carbs for the first month, but I don't anymore. I eat around 20-30 carbs per day as a ballpark-I'm still eating about the same foods. I figure if this is a long term way of eating, I'm not going to fret about it. I do check my urine and go by other signs to make sure I'm in ketosis tho.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 06:20
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I don't count carbs -- I have been doing this for a year and I know what I can eat. As far as foods with carbs go, I basically eat unlimited lowcarb vegetables (I love salads!), some cheese (no more than a couple of ounces a day), one or two servings of lowcarb fruit a day, and some nuts. I also very occasionally (one a month or so) eat something somewhat higher in carbs, such as an ear of corn-on-the-cob. I don't eat any artificial sugar (including splenda) or special lowcarb products. I'm trying to make this a way of eating, not a diet, and I can't imagine being on a way of eating where I have to weigh and measure my food every day.

However, for any newbies reading this, I will say that when I started out I was much more careful about counting carbs and frequently used the carb counter on this site to check out foods I was uncertain about. Switching over to a less structured version of low carbing was a gradual process.

Last edited by liz175 : Sun, Aug-03-03 at 06:21.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 09:04

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

After a year on this WOE I have developed a very good sense and eye for how much carbs I can have and still lose. To keep me honest and make sure the carbs don't start to creep up I do use Fitday for a week every once in a while to check up on myself.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 09:24

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I only count when my weight seems to stall or go up. Otherwise, I more or less limit myself to allowable foods.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 09:44
Registered Member

Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I use my appetite as a measure. When I feel too hungry, I think about what I have eaten and normally find that I have exceeded my carbs limit for the day. Whenever this happen, I eat very low carb food for a while until my appetite returns back normal.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 14:19

Stats: 200/160/140 Female 5"3
BF:
Progress: 67%

Deb you have such good and interesting threads...Ummm, I have to say yes to counting carbs because I do have LC ice cream and such but otherwise my 40 carbs a day can be counted in my head and when i'm not sure, I go to fitday.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 15:37
Registered Member

Stats: 231/175/160 Female 64 inches
BF:40%/31/??
Progress: 79%

Like others who have posted I do not count my carbs everyday. After over 6 months on this WOE I have developed a sixth sense for what I can and cannot eat. If I am eating out at a restaurant (other than sea food) I take my carb counter with me. I also look up any new foods I am adding to my diet. Other than that I eat the same things over and over so no need to constantly look them up. I am still staying close to 20-25 carbs a day athough some days are a tad over 20 and some are alot under. I am losing about 3/4 of a pound a week. I need to exercise more than I do.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 16:28

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%

I'll admit I stopped counting carbs after induction. I knew what I could, and couldn't eat after that point.

I still sort of count my carbs on a per meal basis. I stick with 20 carbs or under (OK, max 30 if it's dinner, but only occasionally) and no sugar usually. But I'm on maintenance, which is a whole different deal. I couldn't eat like this and lose weight. I always make meat and/or veggies the focus of my meal, but since my body can handle more carbs (after a year of eating like this and weighing this I have not gained weight, even after not working out much) I don't see any reason to cut down. I have found that some carby food I can handle, and some I can't. Corn-based foods, beans, light wheat bread and all fruits being the primary examples of food I have no problem with. The carb counts on these can be high, but I believe the glycemic load of them may be low...?