Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 18:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/257/160 Female 5'9''
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Have you seen the Atkins Catalog? Induction items everywhere! Is this for real?

Ok I just received the Atkins "Direct" Catalog in the mail. Was going to order a box of Chocolate chip and Blueberry Morning Start Breakfast bars (because they are not available in my area). WELL, as I was looking I notice that HALF the catalog has "Induction Approved" items.
Is this for real???

I keep thinking about "the book, the book"! There is NO such mention of these items in the New Diet Revolution!

I am on my 6th week---staying on Induction but now wanting to add a few "Induction" Approved items to spice things up, BUT this is crazy!

Oh, for those who don't know, in the catalog beside each item/product there are little color squares. One for each stage of Atkins. If there is an orange square that means and Induction item.

A few examples:

Cereal
Muffins
Jam
Bread
Pancakes
Crepes
Quiche
Cheese Rounds
Taffy
Gum
Peanut Brittle
Peanut Butter cookies

Is this for real or just a ploy for Atkins Ind. to get rich???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 18:07

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I think you can trust it if it says it in Atkins catalog. Just keep in mind that some things stall some people that don't bother others. Experiment and see what works for you. My husband and I have been using the breakfast bars with no problem.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 18:26

Stats: 140.0/121.5/125 Female 5'3
BF:going down!
Progress: 123%

Hi, Newbie here posting...
I have beena lerker for some time now. I must say I love all the posts and really have been in just the best mood when I read all the posts with my morning coffee.
Okay getting to your question on the Atkins Catalog now-

That catalog is the best! I have ordered the cheese rounds in several of the flavors, some are better than others. The gum is my fav! Great flavor good size too. Anything in that book that has the orange square is safe to eat on induction.
Thats what they told me when I called and said ARE YOU SURE???

Good luck with your order.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 18:28

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Atkins has gum? Cool! I've been buying products at Wal-Mart and GNC but I'll have to check out the catalog!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 19:01

Plan: South Beach 11/8/04
Stats: 235/138/130 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

They are ok after your two week detox period on induction. The first two weeks go by the book, after that if you choose to stay on induction longer, it is ok to slowly add some of these products.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 22:16
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

... I've ordered twice, and they were missing an item from my order BOTH times, and STILL haven't credited me the difference!

Last edited by potatofree : Sat, Aug-02-03 at 22:17.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 07:34

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 149.2/138.6/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Bread???

I thought the same thing when I say the bread (good for stages 1-4)on the Atkins web page. I thought, but the book said no bread, this must be wrong. But, I sure would like to add a slice of bread back into my meals now and again. I am going to trust it.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 08:34

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

These people BOUGHT the rights to use the Atkins name on the PRODUCTS they are SELLING you.

Now there are a lot of new things available that may not have existed when the concept of the diet and the clinical observation was done. Atkins did say there were things available to stay under carb limits and to make use of them. But if you are going to do Atkins /Lowcarb WOE for the long term two weeks seems very short. ANd cravings do subside.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 08:57

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I hate the Atkins catalogue-It promotes the mind-set that you should be eating desserts first last and always. Nothing about Nutrition or healthy choices Just fake-outs of Cakes and Candies and Crap.

The photos alone probably set off your blood sugar surge
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 09:00

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Think commerce ! The catalog is selling stuff. The book is selling the diet and it probably would have appeared less credible if Atkins was hawking his products in the book, so IMHO that's why he didn't go there in the book. First step.. get people to buy into the diet, next step... sell them stuff .
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 10:21

Stats: 160/?/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question How can i get the catalog ?

I have just finished induction so I'm pretty new at this woe. I would like one of those catalogs.
Thanks
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 11:00

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Islands..you can get a catalogue by going to the Atkins website at www.atkinscenter.com and requesting that they send you one.
As for the products listed as appropriate for induction, I'd suggest that the buyer beware. Many people post that these products cause stalls or slow weight loss along with provoking cravings (not something that you really want during induction!). My suggestion would be to do induction "by the book" eating only those foods listed in the book that are allowed for induction...meats, veggies and fats. It's only for two weeks and the payoff will be a significant drop in your cravings for sweets. After induction, go ahead and try all those products to your heart's content, but be aware that if your weight loss stops or slows those are the first things I'd suggest that you cut out to see if they were the culprit (and they usually are).
In all fairness, some people don't seem to have a problem with those products and can continue to lose at a respectable pace while using them, but more seem to have problems with them than not. The only way to know which group you are in is to try them for yourself and see what effect that they have on you.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 11:14
Registered Member

Stats: 290/257/160 Female 5'9''
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hey, thanks for your comments everyone!

Since I have finished my 2 week strict Induction (Im in my 6th week now) I think I will try a few of the "INDUCTION APPROVED" items.

---I ordered the soft Peanut Brittle to take to the movies with me! And the Sugar Free Salt water Taffy for when I have a craving in the car! I'm going to try a Peanut Butter Sand. with the Atkins bread and the Beanit Butter! Can't wait!! After 5 weeks of strict Induction I'm ready for some variety!!!!! We'll see how it goes!! Thanks again all.

islands2b -- You can have the Atkins catalogue sent to you in the mail by going to the Atkins website and requesting one.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 11:46
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Is it just me being a miser, though, or are the prices a LOT higher than the products are worth? Sorry, $8.99 for a couple of handfuls of nuts seems, well..NUTS?
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 12:16

Stats: 160/?/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:
Wink Thanks for the info. I will...

order the catalog out of curiousity, but be sure to be careful w/ product ordering.

I appreciate you guys answering so quickly!

Islands