Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 06:11

Plan: Smart Carbs!
Stats: 163/133/125 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 79%
Question Have you ever been in the same predicament?

Hi everyone,
Please no harsh lectures with what I am about to ask....I've got 1 week before I go away and am 6 lbs. away from my goal weight...Is there anything anyone else ever did/tried to shed their last few pounds within a week of an event? drinking extra-extra water? eating mainly meats? or mainly fats? exercising more? My cals average around 1400-1700 with the regular ratio's of fat/protein/carbs... should I perhaps lower my cal intake....Please any tips/advice/suggestions/your own personal experience would be greatly appreciated....Thank you!
Jessica
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 06:18

BF:

god, I hate exercising, but I guess that would certainly help...its a little hard working full-time at an already physical job (my job can be extremely physical sometimes as my clients can be aggressive)then to make sure my dog gets his walks in daily, plus cleaning the house up after him LOL daily....*sigh* So I am basically tired when I get home then to try and exert myself to more exercise....blah blah blah....
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 07:36
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Well, you could check out the stalls and tips thread. Do you think you've stalled or are you just trying to speed up the process? I know we all get antsy but remember your health and not your weight is the important thing.

Start exercising - you'll love it.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 07:50

BF:

yes, I do get in 30 min. at least 3 X a week on my elliptical...but do not lift weights regularly...and yes, I've been stuck before at 120 for 4 mos.....maybe I need to cut down on my calorie intake and stop bloody cheating once in awhile ...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 07:54
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Good for you - I have an elliptical machine too, I love it. And the weights are great....I would definately recommend weight training. You can do this at home, like I do. One of the reasons I started this at home was because I had no idea what I was doing and didn't want to look like an idiot at the gym. There are lots of good videos to show you good form...the Firm tapes, Denise Austin, etc. And dumbbells are pretty cheap.

Don't be so hard on yourself... - you look great and I"m sure you'll hit your goal weight, soon.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 08:07

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hi retrochiq!
Looking at your profile I see that you have read DANDR. Assuming you still have access to it, there is a chapter in it devoted to your situation... sort of. Chapter 18, "A Regimen to Jump-Start Weight Loss." It starts out..."The heat is on. You've been invited to a friend's beach house two weeks from now. But your spilling out of all your bathing suits..." I doubt very seriously that you are spilling out of your bathing suit but it might be worth looking at. I don't know if it will work since you've already been on the diet and so close to goal. Also, you might check out Chapter 15, "Engine Stalled? How to Get Past a Plateau." Just some suggestions as I haven't been on long enough to have your problem. You have done absolutely fantastic by the way and at 5'5 and 120 lbs. I would think you are going to be turning some heads no matter if you lose anymore or not! Good luck and enjoy your vacation!
Lori
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 10:29

Stats: 239/203/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I'd say stick with this WOE - and so you are not exactly at goal weight before you go away --- Is your weight going to be engraved on your forehead? You are going to look good, your skin should be glowing from this WOL - your energy levels high, you should be feeling good because you are taking care of yourself. Breathe deeply and ENJOY life NOW! don't let that number on the scale determine how you are , and if you are 'done'!!! Continue to have a good vacation time - eat well with most on plan, (because if you alter things too drastically - you will pay with that awful carb-bloated feeling and ruin your time away!)
Take your vacation as a time to fit in some different physical activity - volleyball at the beach, long walks in the mountains. Enjoy life, those last 6 # will come off for a lifetime of vacations!
my 2 cents!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 11:10

Stats: 150/146/130 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 20%

I completely agree with Jers52! Don't worry about what the scale says; I think you're probably more interested in how you look and how your clothes fit, right? Well I wish there was way to lose a few inches in a week! Even if you started exercising like crazy the results wouldn't show immediately.

I just got back from vacation myself. Even though I didn't reach my goal weight in time (vacation was the motivation for switching to Atkins), I still lost enough inches that I was happy with the way I looked in my vacation clothes and I didn't even gag when I saw the pictures of myself from my trip!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 12:50

Plan: lowcarby WW
Stats: 212.6/198.8/191 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 64%

I think you know the answers. You've probably been eating OWL - and you could cut back the carbs.

You could be completely strict - go back on induction. You could try the KISS which is Atkins induction eating minus cheese and lunch meats and stuff. Lots of meat and good veggies (like brocolli not corn) will do wonders.

And, of course, upping the exercise will help.

I've read over some of the threads in plateaus/stalls -some are pretty extreme. I couldn't do a fat fast, or an oil fast, but maybe you can. I'm just trying to do this for the long haul.

Good luck whichever you choose. You've done great so far.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 12:57

BF:

Thank you all for your replies !! And thank you for the compliments ! Yes, one thing I could do is cut out more carbs...like cheese and lunch meats...
Thanks again,
Jessica
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:30

Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi Jessica,
I was stalled for a while and upped my fat intake to 70% and that got me moving. I am still in Induction and the bump up in fats got 4lbs. off of me in one week. Of course I am still a long way from goal though but it might not hurt. Good luck, I am sure you will look great even if you dont lose those last few this week.
DOnnie
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 15:07

BF:

Thanks Donnie! Yes, I have definitely upped my fat intake...the last few days I've been having a mock danish for b/f then meal from the fat fast for lunch, dinner is regular induction foods...but I think I may have to cut out dairy altogether to achieve more results...
Jess.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 17:19
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 323/253/225 Male 70"
BF:what fat ?
Progress: 71%

Hi Jessica, You've Made Excellant Progress Thus Far,stick To The Plan,i Agree With Jers52, Those Last Few Will Come Off Before You Know It. And I Be Willing To Bet,you Turn Many Heads.....good Luck And Best Wishes...........al Brother Of Jake (mammoth)
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 17:19
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hiya Jess!

OK; Crash Weightloss:
Cut carbs down to under 20 a day(from Acceptable Induction veggies)
Up FAT to over 65% of your intake of calories
Keep Protein at 30% or so of intake calories
Up the water
Lower the sodium UNDER 2400mg a day

and:
SWEAT. Get HOT...not like "sexy"...but rather sweaty like from exercise...well, actually I suppose that it IS exercise...Oh...you know what I mean...Go ride a bike or run with your dog...

NO CHEATING. Do this, stick to it...you lose weight as fast as possible.

Hope this helps!
Best wishes;
Happy Jake
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 17:32

BF:

Al- thank you for the support!! and Jake - YOU ARE SUCH A CARD ! I AM SURE YOU'VE BEEN TOLD THAT BEFORE! As a matter of fact I did run with my dog today (1/2 hour) and my fat was 72%, protein 25% carbs 2% for a total of approx. 900 cals...I just wasn't hungry today as I ate alot of fat i.e. mock danish for b/f, tuna with mayo, and dinner was a 2 oz. burger patty with mock potato salad....Thank you for your continued advice and encouragement.
Jess