Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 10:13

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%
Default Gut-twisting anxiety

I know that anxiety isn't depression, but I have a sneaking suspicion that biochemically, the two may be related via serotonin levels.

About 3 weeks ago, I re-started having horrible anxiety after a 3-month break while losing weight. I'm not talking about a mental state alone. I feel like a worm on a hook, with my tummy feeling like it's being twisted. Moving around, chewing gum, or eating are the only things that help me deal with it, and none of those provides real relief.

I'm trying to elevate my serotonin by taking 5-HTP at night, followed in the morning by Celexa (as well as Buspar for the anxiety). This is not producing any noticeable decrease in anxiety.

Are there other neurotransmitters that might help me, such as GABA? Recently, I tried a supplement protocol to deal with my A.D.D. that was supposed to boost my supply of dopamine and epinephrine, and got no results from that.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 14:21
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

I'm sorry you're going through this, acohn. I know first hand what that kind of anxiety can be like, because I lived with it for most of my life.

First, yes, anxiety and depression are biochemically related. And as you probably know, some people are genetically predisposed toward one or both conditions. Depression is also fairly frequently seen in adults with ADD or ADHD.

How long have you been taking the buspar? Long enough for it to begin to work, if it's going to? Sometimes that can be up to a month. Is there some particular reason you're taking the separate meds, instead of an SSRI like Paxil that treats both depression and anxiety? And are you being medicated for ADD as well? The problem is that some ADD meds in themselves can cause depression or anxiety or both.

I'm not a doctor but I have a teenaged son with severe ADD and depression. It took quite awhile of trial and error to get things right. You may need your meds changed or at least your dosages altered.

Please write back and let me know how you're doing.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 14:28

RoseTattoo,

Thanks for your concern.

Quote:
How long have you been taking the buspar?

Since 1997 -- long enough to know that it is of limited value.

Quote:
Is there some particular reason you're taking the separate meds, instead of an SSRI like Paxil that treats both depression and anxiety?

Dunno. I've always relied on the shrink to prescribe the appropriate meds for my symptoms. I see him today, so I'll bring this up.

Quote:
And are you being medicated for ADD as well?

In the past, I've taken Ritalin, Adderall and Concerta. The Ritalin ('94) worked for a little while, but I left my job and lost my insurance. The Adderall (2002) worked for a little while, then stopped working, regardless of how high I increased the dose. The Concerta (2003) (18, then 27 mg.) has never affected me, except to raise my pulse. I've been off the Concerta for about 10 days.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 14:36
Kid R

If you're due to see your dr. today, I would definitely tell him what's going on. I can't even imagine a supplement that could add to or countervail the effects of drugs as powerful as Celexa, so I think our layman's attempts at advising about supplementation are futile. This is almost certainly a pharmacological issue (or a physical one--is there possible that there's something wrong physically? That's worth checking out--some medical conditions, like heart disease, can cause extreme anxiety).

Again, please report back and let us know how things go.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 13:25

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Um... when did you start the supplements?

You mention a new supplement protocol for ADD and you say the anxiety reappeared three weeks ago. ???

I would wonder what else happened four weeks ago. Did you change any foods, new carpet, painted the house, ??? Start exercising, stop exercising, something?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 13:33

I stopped the supplement protocol for ADD in the middle of my three-month weight loss period. The only new things I've done recently that I remember are add weight training to my exercise regimen (May) and add back some carbs to my diet (extra veggies, 1/2 and apple instead of a quarter on workout days) (mid June).

Uh-oh -- could it be the extra carbs?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 14:04
Kid R

Acohn, it would be hard for me to believe that some extra carbs are causing the anxiety you're experiencing--unless you're feeling extremely guilty about adding them.

I just reread your post about supplementation, and I should have picked this up before. How much epinephrine are you taking? That can have serious effects in susceptible people! I myself have gone into full fledged panic attacks, with racing heart and trouble breathing, when given novocaine with epinephrine at the dentist's office. (They know NOT to give me that any more!) Does your doctor know you're taking it? Is there any correlation between the time you started the supplements and the onset of the anxiety? This is something I really think you should look into.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 14:16

RoseTattoo,

I misspoke earlier. I was never taking epinephrine. The supplement protocol (stopped for three months now) included the raw materials for my body to produce the neurotransmitter norepinephrine.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:13
Kid R

Whew, I was getting worried there. Epinephrine is a dangerous drug.

What did your doctor say? Any suggestions from him?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 11:16

My shrink was flippant, in a studied way. When I described all the stresses in my life now --
  • my boss restricting my job duties so much that it would be easy to lay me off (I work for a co. that laid more than 10,000 people in 2002)
  • an internal job interview coming up where the hiring manager has clearly stated that I'll need to convince her that I can acquire knowledge in the client's business rapidly
  • the difficulty of finding other jobs in this economy
  • my mom suddenly and quickly losing her vision due to retinitis pigmentosa (RP)
  • my new rental property that's sitting empty, draining my cash
  • my girlfriend's remaining 5 months in school before she can get a job in her new field (her old field imploded with the dot.com bust), and the fact that her extended benefits run out in August
he said, "Aren't you entitled to be anxious?"

I replied, "But I had much the same stressors during the three months I was losing weight, and I wasn't anxious nearly to this degree. Something biochemical is going on."

He said, "Gee, I don't know."

If I could get another shrink, I now have reason to. But psychiatrists who accept both my insurance and new patients are virtually non-existent in my area now.

At least until my interview, I can focus on preparing for it, and give a focus to my energies, which lessens the anxiety somewhat.

The only other difference in my routine lately has been switching from my physical therapist's exercise studio to my home gym and interacting with a new trainer. That's been wholly positive (except for discovering the limits of my lower body's flexibility).

I'm going to take a salivary cortisol test. If I come out high (what do you think the odds are?), that may be part of the explanation.

Last edited by acohn : Thu, Jul-31-03 at 13:37.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 13:30
Kid R

I'm glad you're looking for a new psychiatrist, acohn. Your current one sounds just short of unprofessional. There is a vast difference between being justifiably concerned with problems in one's life and the kind of generalized, paralyzing anxiety you're experiencing.

Good luck with preparing for your interview, and with the cortisol test.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 18:13

Plan: kISS/Curves
Stats: 319/263/165 Female 67"
BF:49.5
Progress: 36%

As someone who has suffered from panic attacks and free floating anxiety for most of my life, I can certainly empathize with you. I have a couple of suggestions. First, I suggest that you forego the psychiatrist and seek out a clinical social worker or an anxiety clinic in your area. I find many psychiatrists to be of little help with this problem. Plus I don't care for their officious attitudes. Second, you should seek the services of a psychopharmacologist. You see them about once every three months and they reevaluate your symptoms and make changes in your medication. There is some counselling involved, but not much. I take a combination of Prozac and Klonopin. The Prozac helps with the panic attacks and the Klonopin really helps with the anxiety.

The CSW or counselor will not only talk to you about your life or your issues, but will help you to develop behavior modifying techniques which will improve the quality of your life. I was once afraid to leave my house due to panic attacks and anxiety. My entire life was falling apart and I didn't know what to do. But I did a lot of reading and found an anxiety clinic. I was put on an anti anxiety drug and taught some coping techniques. I was also sent to a psychopharmacologist who worked with my counselor to prescribe medications that would empower me in my struggle. Bottom line, I still have panic disorder and anxiety disorder. But I go where I want and have learned to not only survive an attack, but to stop one in it's tracks. It's something I will probably have the rest of my life, but I do anything I want to do and am no longer afraid. Good luck to you.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 10:51

ketodiva,

Thanks much for the sharing your experience. I will start seeking out the resources you suggest.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 14:37

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Ketodiva I agree with you... I've also had a difficult time with psychiatrists and psychologists... They just don't seem to listen....so now I'm trying to treat myself... It's really difficult finding a good one, especially with my HMO... I did find a psychologist recently with the help of the internet and she is terrific....now looking for a psychiastrist but might look for a psychopharmacologist as you suggested...

Thanks for the adivice...

Acohn I hope things are going better for you...I have panic attacks and anxiety attacks too.... Don't go out very often, and have to take plenty of Valium just to go to the store at night... But, I'm fighting back with every meall...and supplement I take...
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 14:17

skeeweeaka,

Please provide some details about how you used the internet to find a qualified psychologist.

Last edited by acohn : Mon, Aug-04-03 at 14:23.