Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 10:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/200/170 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question Corn Syrup in dressings

I am a week into Atkins and am beginning to grocery shop for a wider variety of foods. I am currently in the Induction Stage of the diet and taking only 20 grams of carbs per day. When I compared salad dressings at the grocery store yesterday, I found many that had sugar as an ingredient. I know that these are not acceptable. Other dressing have no sugar, but have corn syrup instead. In the rules for the Induction stage of the diet and the commentary that folows about acceptable foods in the book, corn syrup is not specifically outlawed, only salad dressings with either sugar or more then 2 grams of carbs per serving. Am I not supposed to have dressings with corn syrup in them? Does anyone know?

Jason
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 10:10
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

You can have any dressing with 2 or less carbs per tablespoon serving, so even if they have trace amounts of sugar or corn syrup and are 2 carbs or less, they are fine.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 10:12

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Jason:
Welcome to Atkins and the group too!

Yup, corn syrup is a sugar, as is dextrose, maltodextrin...etc
It comes in many tricky forms. The corn syrup will show up as a sugar under the carbohydrate listing. Corn syrup is a no-no

I use italian dressing that has a little sugar in it but I only typically use under a tablespoon of dressing because I'm not too nuts about Italian (keeps me honest though).

You may be able to find creamy dressings that have no sugar in them (perhaps in the diabetic section of the food store).
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 12:15
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hidden Valley Ranch has only 1 or 2 grams of carbs per 2 T serving, depending on what kind you get. The bacon ranch is pretty good; only 1 gram per two tablespoons. They have trace amounts of sugar, but they're allowed.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:05
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I use Marie's BC dressing and it has NO sugar, but I do occasionally use a regular Ranch that has 2 grams of carbs per 2 tblsp.