Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 17:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/185/148 Female 5'10"
BF:36%/31%/23%
Progress: 26%
Question Has your Gallbladder been removed & your weightloss going SLOWLY?

I am just tring to determine if there is a coralation between those of us who have had our Gallbladder removed and who are having very, very slow weightloss?

Do you have your Gallbladder?
Is your weightloss slow or stalling frequently?

Thank you for your reply!
ps--- I have also posted this same thread on the Main Low-Carb forum.

Last edited by 94513 : Wed, Jul-30-03 at 17:34. Reason: spelling and changes
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 17:37

Stats: 300/291.5/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 6%

My husband has had his gallbladder romoved in 99. He ahs lost rapidly in the first three week and has been seesawing a little but still going down a little ( He's been eating too many refried beans)

I dont think he's been overly set ack by it. Its 36 if that makes any difference and was 50lbs ow ( though he says only 35) when he started
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 18:00

Stats: 204.5/157/142 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

1. NO - I dont have my gallbladder
2. YES - my weight loss is so slow that Im gaining!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 18:04

Thank you for reply I think it will be interesting to see what replies continue to come in.

regards,
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 18:08

Shannonp - exactly same here. I wonder if there will be a coralation? If so, it may give some of us the peace of mind to continue without frustation.

regards,
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 18:12

BF:

That's what I was thinking too! ITS NOT MY FAULT!!!

I have been so strict lately that when I saw I gained I couldnt believe it. (but then I could because there is no extra room in my clothes -- feels like I never started this WOE at all)

.....and the beat goes on!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 18:45

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I don't have a gallbladder and my weight loss is the same.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 20:26

Plan: kISS/Curves
Stats: 319/263/165 Female 67"
BF:49.5
Progress: 36%

I don't have a gallbladder. I find that I am losing pretty consistently. The challenge is to find the fats that agree with you and include them in your diet to reach the 68-70% fat goal in your diet plan. Some of the recipes posted here are delicious, but if I eat them I really feel sick and then I notice a stall until I flush myself out for a couple of days. Things with a lot of creme cheese will do this.

I think the key is to drink even more water when you have no gallbladder, and to exercise in the am, before you eat, but after you've hydrated yourself.

Good luck to us all. At least the dreadful pain of gallstones is gone forever.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 20:49

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Never considered that these might be related but I had my gallbladder removed 4 years ago & my weight loss has been slow & somewhat streaky (nothing for 3-4 weeks, then 2-4 lbs. in quick succession). Would be interesting to see if anything other than anecdotal evidence regarding this...
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/146/140 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

Heh Guys!!!
I still have a gallbladder and my weight loss is really slow slow slow, seems the only thing I have lost is my metabolism! Wish I could remember where I left it.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:36

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

I had my gallbladder removed by laparoscopic suggery about 8 years ago.

I was given back a single large stone the size of a small plum!

The prime candidates for gall bladder problems was summed up by my doctor as: the four "F"s

Fair, Fat. Forty, and Female. Three out of four was enough but it explains why more women will reply to this thread than men.

I have to say that I do not believe that there is a link between no gall bladder and subsequent slowness in losing weight. It is not true for me at any rate. I have been LCing for 18 months now and have lost 40lbs. The progress has been up and down, stalls and and plateaus, as experienced by everyone. Anyone reading my journal will see that I found a much stronger link with Alcohol, Exercise, and not sticking by the program.

Men are generally thought to fair better with weight loss but that effect seems to diminish with age.

It may be better to examine and follow up other avenues or ideas in working through a stall. If you put it down to not having a gallbladder there is nothing you can do about that and that may prompt a do nothing approach. It you investigate the 101 other things it might be, at least you are doing something.

It may be that little something that that works. On the other hand it could be, a variation of insulin resistance, metabolism, or genetic predisposition. Again nothing you can do except sit it out stay, with the program, its the only show in town.

Last edited by rustpot : Thu, Jul-31-03 at 09:38.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 10:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Sugar Busters
Stats: 152/124/130 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 127%

I believe it is because you do not have a gallbladder that you are losing slowly. I was on Atkins for two months & now do SugarBusters. I called my sister the other day because she has never done well on Atkins, and I am trying to get her to try SugarBusters. She has had her gallbladder removed. I was reading to her an exerpt from a book I am reading called, "good fat vs. bad fat" by Maggie Greenwood-Robinson, Ph-D.

I know those of you are truly discouraged and not looking for an excuse, but I think it helps to know that there ARE circumstances that can keep you from losing weight as quickly as others.

Here is some of what I read to my sister:

.....Fat then travels to your stomach, separates from other food components, and floats to the top of the stomach. Little fat digestion takes place here, however, since fat doesn't mix well with the watery fluids in your stomach.
Fat next enters you small intestine. To assist with digestion here, your gallbladder squirts bile into your intestine at mealtimes. In a process called emulsification, a molecule of bile attaches itself to a molecule of fat, dispersing the fat into the watery solution where it can meet fat-splitting enzymes. Long-chain fatty acids (such as meats) require bile for digestion; short & medium chains do not. Bile is produced by your liver and delivered continuously into your small intestine, not just at meals. If you have had your gallbladder removed, you will be instructed to reduce your fat intake, however, because your body can only handle only a small amount of fat at a time.

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble here, but want to share the information that I just leaned and hope it helps others like it did with my sister. She was eating a lot of meat, and wasn't able to properly digest it.

Take care!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 11:36

BF:

I know its very common for women to have problems with their gallbladder after pregnancy -- so I dont exactly know what the fair and forty have to do with it (from the post before) but I personally know a lot of women that have had it removed after they've had children.

Pancho,
That makes sense to me - the part about the meat. The last time I did this WOE I didnt have the Atkins book and just did what I knew about LC'ing. I have never been a big meat eater and could probably go full flege(sp?) vegetarian no problem. This time I incresed my meat intake to at least one (usually 2) serving a day, and that was usually steak or bacon.

I think Im going to go back to how I adapted it before (less meat and more than the 3c per day allowed veggies) and see if that makes a difference.

What is the SugarBusters?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 18:08

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

Shannnonp

I should have said that it was five "F"s not four. The final "F" is Fertile.

The "five F's" helps trainee doctors to remember the usual patient with gallbladder disease: "fair, fat, forty,female and fertile."

Sexist as it sounds, it describes the group most frequently affected by gallbladder disease: overweight middle-aged white women with a history of several pregnancies. Excess estrogen may be implicated, since hormone replacement after menopause seems to increase the likelihood of stones.

I think we should be clear and accurate for anyone contemplating surgical removal of the gallbladder that a low carb diet presents no problem and is not a cause for concern.

First, low carb is not "high fat".

Second, excess fat in diet is a problem before the operation not after.

Third, the statement above "If you have had your gallbladder removed, you will be instructed to reduce your fat intake, however, because your body can only handle only a small amount of fat at a time." Is misleading. The body can handle completely normal amounts of fat with not problem at all.

The gallbladder, was designed as a storage system, probably through primative man eating a very high fat content diet. .It use to us today, although not entirely without purpose is still not essential. It is more likely that the result of "high fat" consumption post operatively will cause diarrhea. Perhaps a good reason to have some fat limitation. But diarrhea does not cause weight gain, quite the reverse. Even so this is quite rare.

The one thing that a study of the mechanisms of low carb tells us is that, in the absence of carbohydrate, it is not fat that makes us fat. The liver does not distinguish between fats. Cutting down on meat does not make much sense and pushes us into the "low fat" mindset.

In short there is no real metabolic, medical, or dietary reason why the absence of a gallbladder should be the cause of slow weight loss on an LC diet.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 18:28

BF:

Rustpot,

All I have ever done is speak from personal experiance, Rustpot, just as you are. What is happening for me, as well as some others who have happened to have their gallbladder taken out, is slower wieght loss. All I can say with truth and honesty is that my weight loss was more steady ( 1-2 lbs a week) when I ate less meat, as was my habit before I started this WOE. We all know that sometimes medical logic does not apply to everyone, and that has to be said as well.

I think your post was medicaly sound, and anyone contemplating somthing as serious as surgury certainly should not be taking thier advice from an Atikins post - nor was I trying to give anyone advice - I was simply posting my own opinions and experiances.