Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 08:54

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Kitchen Woes

I sent my husband out to do some shopping today with the instructions to buy something for the kids to have at reccess at school. The result is now I have a kitchen full of carbohydrates, he bought everything, ranging from chocolates, muesli bars, cookies and crisps. The only low carb things were 2 tins of salmon. So far I have had enough will power to resist it but I don't know for how long. I am in my second week of the Aitkins diet and have been doing really well. Now I dread going into the kitchen.
Maybe I should make use of the Trading Post, but who would want to trade anything for a diet sabataging husband?

Cheryl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 09:14
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hide it all! Out of sight, out of mind....almost!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 09:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Make sure you have lots of snacks for yourself, too. Two tins of tuna won't take you very far! Cheese, olives, nuts (watch the carbs), beef jerky (you can make your own), cooked meats, devilled eggs, etc. Try to keep stocked up so you won't be tempted by the carby stuff. Try keeping your treats in a special cupboard that's just for you.

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 10:09
Registered Member

Stats: 137/132/122
BF:
Progress: 33%
Lightbulb Use the Fridge!

I put all of the carbs in the pantry and just don't ever open it. All of my LC stuff is in the refridgerator. Not many LC items go in the pantry anyway. I even put my cans of tuna in the fridge.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 10:31

BF:

Thanks for your replies, to top it off it was all left on the cupboards for me to put away, I had some of the salmon to stop me trying stuff as I did. Even the fridge was a problem, he put the marshmallow chocolate biscuits in there, I fixed that though I dropped a head of lettuce on them, out of sight for me and squashed marshmallows for him, serve him right.

Cheryl
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 10:56

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

ROFL at the squashed marshmellows for him!

That's the way to go, keep your sense of humor. My hubby baked chocochip cookies the second week I was on the diet and the smell almost drove me mad. I was in the kitchen standing next to the sink, eyeing the plate of cookies when he walked in. I looked back and forth at the cookes and him until he finally went "oh crap, I'm sorry". I took one look at him and said, hide em or I trash em.

They were gone the next day

Be strong, and carry a newspaper to smack him on the nose
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 11:18

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Second the Motion

I second Rachel's idea....make a spot just for your treats....let everyone know how serious you are.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 01:41

BF:

I have been real good, I haven't touched any of them. I have my boiled eggs in the fridge for snacking on, I am getting a bit tired of cheese.
As for smacking him on the nose with a rolled up newspaper is it okay if I use something heavier?LOL
Thanks for all your replies

Cheryl
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 04:47

BF:

It is 2 hours after my last entry, and alas it got the better of me. I chose one of those cracker and cheese spread things. I checked the carb count and it was 7.9g, sugar was 0.6. I only ate 1 of the 3 crackers, I gave the others to my son. I did eat all the cheese stuff. The cracker didn't even taste nice, all I wanted was the "crunch". Does anybody have suggestions for crunchy low carb foods?

Cheryl
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 05:17

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Pork Rinds

Probably the simpliest crunch you'll find is "Pork Rinds". In Canada we find them in the snack section at some grocery stores, at the Bulk Barn and even some convenience stores like them.

Not something to take to the show though, they are probably a bit too crunchy for your neighbour there!!!