Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 22:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 235/220/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:37
Progress: 18%
Talking tummy tucks and boob jobs

Now that I have your attention...

I have about 80 pounds to lose and have some questions for those big 'losers' out there. Sorry in advance to the men, but I have always had breasts on the larger side , even when I was thin (many moons ago...when I was like, 19) To get a sense, my weight right now is 224, I'm 5'8", and I my bra size is 38 DD, and sometimes a triple D. HOWEVER...they are now quite saggy (I've also breastfed two kids, who I think should really be paying for the boob job... ) I am wondering, when I lose all my weight, will they be flattened oblong pancakes reaching for my bellybutton?? And then there's my tummy.....a lot of my weight I have gained on my tummy, I have a serious spare tire (like a semi truck tire). Will this go away when I lose weight? Or will I need a tummy tuck to get rid of lose skin? (again, I really think the kids should pay for that.... )

Has anyone out there had surgery after losing a lot of weight? I KNOW it is really vain, but I just want to look REALLY good for once in my life (been fat since 20 or 21 or so). A washboard stomach, is that so much to ask???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 03:37

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I had a breast reduction before starting this WOE and I am glad I did. Although I've lost 42 lbs, my boobs only went down 1 cup size and 1 band size. I would LOVE to get a tummy tuck (after 2 kids and loose skin/muscle that will never be flat) but I can't afford it and insurance won't pay for it because its "cosmetic".
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 04:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/160/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Hi GilrGeek

As you can see from my stats I have lots of weight to lose too! I have a long way to go but have lost 25 pounds in a month. I have lost 3 inches on my stomach so far and inches in other various areas. I am not getting soft or squiggy I am getting fit. The reason is I am exercising every day. I am down the gym and doing the cardio and stomach every single day. If I wanted to be lazy then I think my skin would be saggy but I am working really hard and it seems to be working. It has been 5 weeks now I have been going to the gym and I have already seen a difference in my belly and my legs. I have also noticed a difference in my breasts. I am in a 36 again but still float between an e and f cup. ( when i weighed 120 I was a dd cup so they have always been big) The exercises I do have firmed up my breasts. I still have a long way to go but I am determined to have perfect breasts again!

If you lose quickly your skin does not have a chance to shrink with your body, unless you exercise. And I don't doddle down the gym, I kick my ass every day. I know that not everyone can join a gym but there are tapes and exercises to do for your tummy and your chest that will help. I am no expert I only know what works for me.

I hope this helps

Jenny

PS I know all about the kids to blame, I have 2 boys but they really did a number on my body!!! yes they should pay!!! LOL

PPS - and I wear a sports bra every day, even at work. I didn't think they made them in my size but they do! They don't budge in this baby!

Last edited by jennyxcali : Thu, Jul-31-03 at 04:25.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 04:44
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%
Default exercise may be the key

What Jenny said. I gained a lot on my boobs and stomach, and I too was terrified that I would end up with empty potato sacks for tits. But so far I've tightened up instead.

I exercise 6 days a week. Weights 3 days, pretty intense workout with a bit of cardio after (here's the gym log http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...stpost&t=125856), and on the other 3 days just cardio. When I reach goal weight I'll probably cut out the cardio on the weights days, but right now I'm just speeding things along.

I would add that if you have big boobs and you exercise, a proper sports bra is very important, especially as you lose weight--things can get bouncy very fast as you shrink out of old bras! If you bounce around a lot during exercise, though, the ligaments holding your breasts up will stretch...and from what I have read, once they are totally stretched out there is no way of lifting the breasts short of surgery.

As for the belly, I am terrifically pleased that mine isn't sagging. Wasn't sure what would happen with that, but things seem to be getting tighter all over. I'm losing about a pound a week, which is a bit slow, but I think it's giving my skin a chance to catch up.

Now if I could get the fat under my arms to go away....

Emily
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 05:38

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I'm right there with you! I don't know if I'm going to need the tummy tuck, but would love to have a boob lift...lol. Four kids, nursing...well, you know the drill. I can't notice any "lift" although the first month I lost a whopping 6 inches of my chest area!!!! No sagging belly skin yet, although I still have a ways to go.

I think exercise is the key. Because I'm gaining muscle while losing the fat, its possible that I will be fine there. Another 15 lbs. and hubby is taking me to get my belly button pierced, so I better NOT end up with sagging skin or no one will ever see it...lol.

I would suggest just waiting to see what happens and saving your money just in case and really put your heart into strength training because that will make all the difference I believe.

L
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 06:39

Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I know what you mean about the belly skin!! I have never had a big boobs which is really strange to me since all the other girls in the family got them. After my 3rd child, my tummy kind of folds over. I think the exercise is the key to helping shrink the spare tire. I just ordered the Firm tapes and hope they help me crank it up a notch. Donnie
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 06:49

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 248/219.5/150 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 29%

I can't wait to get a tummy tuck and a boob job. I already told my husband to put it in the budget for next December '04. I'm working my ass off. I've lost 50+ lbs. already and I have sagging abdomen skin and breast. I've lost so much in my breast area. I exercise 6 times per week and it's doing a wonderful job, but I want that flat stomach. I don't want to wait until my skin catches up with my weight loss and all that crap. I could take up to a year after goal weight. Tummy tuck and boob job is one of my rewards when I get to my goal weight.

Good luck!! I'm sure you'll make the right decision.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 06:58
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I'm also pretty concerned about the loose skin thing. Looking good in a bikini is half the fun of losing weight! I'm hoping age will be on my side (I'm 23) and I can motivate myself to get exercising to tighten things up.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:17

Stats: 250/230/165 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 24%

I want a boobie lift too, my girls are tired of looking at my feet, they wanna see some action

( o )( o )
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:26
Registered Member

Stats: 166/157.0/130 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Just an example of losing weight too fast and the skin thing...

A friend of mine lost around 80 lbs between high school and college (I think she went from around 210 to 130 or so). She lost is really quickly, and even though she was pretty young, I think she just lost it too fast because her skin on her tummy never did shrink down to where it should be. That extra skin bothered her so much she wouldn't wear a bikini or revealing clothing even though her shape was really great. It all ended well though, since she got all of that extra skin tucked as a graduation present!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:51

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

I am 56, always have had large breasts and when I lose weight, they are bigger proportionately than when I am heavier. My breasts have changed a lot with the years. They are much "softer" then when I was younger. This is normal. The amount of sag in the breasts depends on a lot of factors.

What exercise can do for breasts and abdomens varies with individuals. You really need to wait until you are close to goal (and you should exercise while you are losing) and then evaluate your position.

I personally am planning on a breast reduction. As I am getting older I am having problems that I did not have when I was younger. All bras (and I have tried every style imaginable) bother me to some degree, many significantly. This is a new thing the past few years. Also I am getting the ridges on my shoulders--another new thing.

I have fat my my tummy and midriff and I would like to go for liposuction rather than a tummy tuck. I would only do a tummy tuck if there was a lot of excess, droopy skin. A tummy tuck is major and recovery takes a while. I have had liposuction on my hips and the recovery was easy. I am not sure about a breast reduction.

My insurance should pay for the breast reduction. I am going to ask the surgeon if he can do the lipo at the same time to save me the cost of the hospital. I would just need to pay him the extra for the lipo.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 11:06

Stats: 150/146/130 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default I have to disagree with exercise

I don't believe any amount of exercise is going to firm up a size 38 DD or DDD. As I understand it, the muscle is in the chest wall (pectorals?) and the soft tissue that actaully forms and shapes the breast is basically...fat. That's kind of like people doing sit-ups to lose weight in their stomach. Sit-ups will firm the abdominal muscles underneath the fat...it won't get rid of it.

I'm 5'1 and a 34 DD, have never had children, and still have the sagging problem. I met with a plastic surgeon and plan to have a lift this winter.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 11:37
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I went from 215 to 170 when I first started this woe. My boobs did not go down in size at all. My tummy didn't start going away until I was about 185, which is when I started doing serious cardio and ab work. I am 5'7", 38 D, pregnant with my first child. tholian is right about a good sports bra for working out. Something that will hold those suckers in place!! As for cosmetic surgery, wait until you are close to goal weight before seriously considering it.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 12:07
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 254/216/145 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

for those that think they have it bad, i've had droopy saggy boobs since my early teens. i'm talking 14 here. and each year it gets worse. they're not even that big, just a D cup that is rapidly shrinking with this diet. (and my boobs seem to be getting smaller and lower as i'm losing weight. the one place i don't want to lose any! and none from my stomach, how frustrating). and i'm only 22 and have never had kids; i'm just cursed. i have the stomach problem too, since most of weight is in my abdomen, so i have a pouch. ick. so far it hasn't shrunk on atkins though i have lost some weight. i've only lost an inch from my waist. *sigh* but after i reach my goal weight i am heading straight under the knife. i don't care if that seems vain, i'm young and should be enjoying myself and my body, not hiding my grandma boobs under sports bras and baggy clothes. so i'm planning on getting a boob lift and a tummy tuck if needed. and if by that time there's something for stretch marks, i'll do that too! and yes i am exercising, but exercise can only do so much. no exercise will lift your boobs the way surgery will, because boobs are just fat hanging off the muscle. if you tighten the muscle they'll look better, but if the skin there is already stretch down to your elbows, then surgery is the best option.

btw, i had a friend who crash dieted and lost somewhere around 40 pounds in about 3 months. she worked out like a fiend, daily, for two hours and basically starved herself or ate poorly. yes, she lost weight, but she looks terrible. tons of flabby fat and skin hanging off her. (because she lost lean muscle mass instead of fat). so whatever you do, lose the fat slowly, steadily, and eat well.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 12:26

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

Even when I lost a lot of weight my stomach still had a lot left to be desired. I think some people firm up and some don't. I don't think those surgeries are vain at all. If it makes you happy go for it. And yes I really think a person would be a lot happier with less of a stomach. Or am i just shallow? If something bothers you then fix it I say.