Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 09:07

Plan: CAD
Stats: 171/146.0/133 Female 5'4" and 1/4
BF:
Progress: 66%
Angry Frustration...the weight is either coming off slowly or not at all -- I can't tell.

My sister and I are both on our 4th week of this WOE and are getting discouraged. I tried to encourage her last night, telling her she should drink more water and that the less weight you have to lose, the more slowly the pounds come off. She lost about 3 lbs on induction (going from 131 to 128), and has about 10 to lose (goal:118-120). I lost about 4 lbs on induction (going from 162 to 158), and have about 20 to lose (goal 138-140).

The problem is, neither of us have lost anything since induction, in fact I'm up to 160.5 today and I haven't cheated. She was upset last night because she was at 130. We cook dinner a lot together with her fiancee, and do well encouraging each other to eat well. I did tell her to make sure she wasn't eating more than 3-4oz of cheese a day because I think that was a problem for her, and she definitely wasn't drinking enough water. She says she really hates drinking plain water. I on the other hand try to limit cream and cheese and drink tons of water all day. Both of us have exercised less in the past week due to her moving last weekend and getting ready for that...but it still seems like the scale at the very least should be sticking around the lower numbers! Seeing it go up really sucks.

You can see in my journal what I've been eating...maybe I am eating too much? I try to avoid calorie counting and strict carb counting (with lower carb foods anyway like the veggies and meats) because I feel like I have to stick to a measurable portion size and sometimes end up eating more just so I can count correctly. When I'm not fixating on the exact amounts I'm more aware of how I feel and can stop before I get full, just when I am satisfied.

I guess what would be awesome is to hear from people with similar beginning and ending stats, or who only had 10 or 20 lbs to lose, because we just really want to know what's normal at this point, or if we're doing something wrong, etc.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 09:16

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Hi Sango. Looks to me like your problem might be artificial sugars. Looks like you've been eating at least a little maltitol and splenda every day. These can act like real sugar in some people and may be your problem. Have you considered really detoxing from sweets?

Try a week of very clean, savory eating away from sweeteners and see what happens.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 09:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamito
Hi Sango. Looks to me like your problem might be artificial sugars. Looks like you've been eating at least a little maltitol and splenda every day. These can act like real sugar in some people and may be your problem. Have you considered really detoxing from sweets?

Try a week of very clean, savory eating away from sweeteners and see what happens.

I might have to do that...but I do have a question -- if the malitol and splenda are really a problem, wouldn't the stix show me as out of ketosis, the way they did after the pizza?

Also, I've heard about people having problems with sugar alcohols, but have they really run into trouble with splenda, too?? That would suck.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 09:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 164/135/140 Female 5 4
BF:28%
Progress: 121%

Hmmmm.... Since you're just in week 4, maybe you should be strict on Induction. Eat only allowed foods, no extras, for at least 1 full week, & see what happens.

I'm sure it'll work! Don't feel discouraged so soon, you'll be successful!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 10:08

Hi. I actually have no clue about what the strips might indicate. Those things drive me nuts, to be honest.

And no, not many people run into too much trouble with Splenda, but it should still be kept to a minimum. The rule on induction is 3g a day.

Anyway, giving up sweets (or at least giving up maltitol and keeping Splenda to 3 packets a day) could really help wean you off the taste of it. You will probably be more successful in the long run if you start to appreciate other tastes more. Not to say we don't all like sweets, but I know I generally feel better when the majority of my foods are more savory. Keeps me centered around the idea that food is fuel, as opposed to a treat.

Anyway, a clean week would be good for you since I know you're anxious to see the scale do what you TELL it to. Plus it might kick start the engine and get you back in there.

Or you could ride it out and see if the weight is just coming off slowly. Either way.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 11:39

BF:

I've decided to dedicate the next two weeks (starting tomorrow, already had some at breakfast) to staying away from sugar alcohols and not going over 3g of splenda a day. (do I need to count liquid splenda, too, like in shakes/soda?) I don't really drink much diet soda, but I do like tea with splenda and my atkins shakes really get me though my tedious afternoons at work. I will try to wean off of the taste, otherwise. Except I've been promising my sis I'd make the choc cheesecake as soon as I can find plain gelatin. Well anyway, no sugar alcohols and limited splenda, and trying to keep closer track of my water intake and make sure that I get 100 oz a day.

I have noticed that I'm starting to prefer less sweet things. I can't drink much diet soda, I never finish the can. I enjoy heavy cream plain, and am starting to like mineral water like perrier, which I hated before.

Thanks Angela...I will take your suggestion and give up the SA and keep splenda to a minimum, no more than 3 packets/day. At least for the next two weeks, just to see what happens.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 12:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/175/135 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: -100%

For inspiration, check out http://www.tinakaye.com/
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 22:02

Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

I took a quick peek at your journal...Maybe this will help. I too was stalled. I did not follow strict induction when I first started and then hit a stall and actually started gaining... I tried to remember what I had done before. Well I used non dairy creamer instead of heavy cream and also ate alot of ham. I had read a few months ago how important fat was so I had not worried about Chicken wings or using heavy cream in my coffee. Just the other day I decided to just track my calories..

(I too don't want to become restricted like I was on the lf diets) I looked at the ca5rton of cream and yikes 1 TBLs has 50 calories. I bet I use 2-3 in my cofffee...sometimes I just pour it. Macadamia nuts are very high in calories. (I had just bought them too)
I am guessing that my calories were probably around 2,000 I might have 3 cups of decaf in a day. With 3tbl per cup that is 450 calories from just the coffee alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went back to the non dairy creamer and ham and have lost 2lbs in two days. I measure the cream even though this gives me more carbs it is much fewer calories. Just goes to show calories do add up...but it doesn't mean we have to starve ourselves to keep an eye on it.
Happy losing
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 22:27

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

All of the other suggestions were great...but I have a bit of a different one....when did your (and your sister's I suppose) TOM fall in the 4 weeks you've been on this woe? I have found that the two weeks surrounding my TOM I don't loose and sometimes gain a couple! After my TOM I usually drop several lbs. over night. This did happen to me after induction and I was SO discouraged....but as time has gone on I have seen a trend so I'm not as worried about it any more. Just a thought.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:12

BF:

I noticed that a bit during TOM...but it's nowhere near that time for me now.

Why am I doing this if it doesn't work? I'm at 160 today, and I started this four weeks ago at 162. I've been as low as 158 and 158.5 a few times, but not for long! That is not much progress, and my clothes are not noticeably looser. I feel like I should have gone ahead and eaten that brownie yesterday -- it's not like I've lost any weight being "good"!!

Last edited by Sango : Thu, Jul-31-03 at 09:16.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 10:46

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%

Dear Sango,
You are right. If the splenda and sugar alcohols are being eaten and the stix show you are in ketosis then they are not causing a rise in blood sugar and are not interfering with weight loss.
They can cause cravings for sweets but have a minimal impact on blood sugar levels. If they did, they would be a hell of a class action lawsuit on behalf of diabetics !!
Another reason sugar alcohols can stall you is an increase in calories
http://atkins.com/helpatkins/faqs/faqslow/index.html
Slow Weight Loss and Plateaus
FAQ 1-10 of 10
Could eating Advantage bars be impeding my weight loss?
This varies by individual. If you have reached a plateau and are not losing weight, try omitting the bars until weight loss resumes. Alternatively, you could exercise more to burn the extra calories or try eating only half a bar. Remember, each bar contains approximately 220 calories and these added calories could be affecting your overall weight loss. The controlled carb way of eating has an advantage over low-fat diets in that you can take in more calories and still lose more weight, but don’t regard that as a license to overeat.

Check out his site for more info. It looks like you shoud either eat less sugar alcohols or exercise more to get through a stall. There are so many reasons the weight loss is slow on this plan. I found I had to exercise consistently to lose any weight. It cant be overdone really. And otherwise it can be supplements that get you out of a stall. There is a good tips and stalls sub-forum on this site, you should check out. A few weeks ago a email from atkins center was posted in there regarding slow weight loss that went into some detail as to staying within specific portion recommendations and other things I found enlightening.

Good luck and the best thing is you are eating healthy although I know the hell of just wanting to lose weight fast, and waiting and waiting so just know you will get through this!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 11:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild
Dear Sango,
You are right. If the splenda and sugar alcohols are being eaten and the stix show you are in ketosis then they are not causing a rise in blood sugar and are not interfering with weight loss.
They can cause cravings for sweets but have a minimal impact on blood sugar levels. If they did, they would be a hell of a class action lawsuit on behalf of diabetics !!
Another reason sugar alcohols can stall you is an increase in calories
http://atkins.com/helpatkins/faqs/faqslow/index.html
Slow Weight Loss and Plateaus
FAQ 1-10 of 10
Could eating Advantage bars be impeding my weight loss?
This varies by individual. If you have reached a plateau and are not losing weight, try omitting the bars until weight loss resumes. Alternatively, you could exercise more to burn the extra calories or try eating only half a bar. Remember, each bar contains approximately 220 calories and these added calories could be affecting your overall weight loss. The controlled carb way of eating has an advantage over low-fat diets in that you can take in more calories and still lose more weight, but don’t regard that as a license to overeat.

Check out his site for more info. It looks like you shoud either eat less sugar alcohols or exercise more to get through a stall. There are so many reasons the weight loss is slow on this plan. I found I had to exercise consistently to lose any weight. It cant be overdone really. And otherwise it can be supplements that get you out of a stall. There is a good tips and stalls sub-forum on this site, you should check out. A few weeks ago a email from atkins center was posted in there regarding slow weight loss that went into some detail as to staying within specific portion recommendations and other things I found enlightening.

Good luck and the best thing is you are eating healthy although I know the hell of just wanting to lose weight fast, and waiting and waiting so just know you will get through this!

I definitely need to exercise more...I usually exercise almost every day, but for the past two weeks it has been a lot less -- more like 1-2 times a week. Thank you for the encouragement

I guess I will cut down but not neccessarily eliminate the sugar alcohols -- someone else posted in my journal that the keto foods and shakes could be rasing my insulin levels too high, would the positive keto stick reading also negate that theory?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 11:31

Ketostix can also show positive readings when your diet is high in dietary fat as well, though.

I'm still in the "I don't trust Ketostix" frame of mind though. Sue me.

I wish you the best Sango, hope you can get into the losing groove.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 11:31
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I would cut out the sugar alcohols and do a strict, clean induction for 2 weeks, limit your sodium and up your water.

Good luck!

Peace
red

#15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 13:34
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/149/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

hey, i am in the same situation. it is hell. i don't eat the bars and only have 3packets of splenda a day with my falx . i exercise every day for an hour so don't be too discouraged or shocked if that doens't help you. i wish i knew what the problem is today i was back to 149....yep in ketosis...as frustrated as you are...trying hard not to give up...2 weeks and let's see what happends sounds like a plan
jean