Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 07:33
wrkn off da baby fat

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242.5/242.5/160 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Please help me defend this WOE

The people at work are driving me crazy. When you say your on Atkins you get so many negative reactions. One of my co-workers keeps telling me how unhealthy the WOE is. Plus my agency offers a Nutrition class where the intructor tells the group that Atkins is okay to be on but not long term. What?

I understand why I choose this WOL but I'm not very good at explaining the benefits of this WOL to others. Can anyone help me with simple facts that I can direct towards these Naysayers when they wan't to spew their garbage at me?

Thanx guys!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 07:37

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 195/180/165 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

JOb places are to be free of harassment of any kind, and should not be tolerated. That's the legal line. Give yourself some time. Read the book, know what it says, and absorb it. The benefits are you will be healthier than you have ever been in your life.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 07:42

Stats: 165/126/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Instead of bothering to argue with people or having some kind of smart and snappy explanation about "Atkins" you may just want to say that you have quit eating refined sugars and are cutting back on your carbohydrate intake. People have a hard time arguing with that. It sounds so 'healthy'...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 07:44

Stats: 167/158/147 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

We have been DRILLED to eat the food pyramid for DECADES, of course there are the people that just won't look beyond it. If we didn't go beyond what we "know" to be true, we would still think the world is flat, but we got beyond that and learned.
Don't feel you need to explain things, this is your WOE, WOL, and feel proud that you will be losing weight and eating great!!
Think of all those people you work with..........look at THEIR eating disorder.........they eat CARBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heidi
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:45
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Tell them you're eating less sugar and more veggies than you ever did before. I know I am, anyway!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 09:03
Registered Member

Stats: 225/180/175 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 90%

The first thing I ask after someone starts in a negative about Atkins is "Have you read the Book?" Most always the answer is NO. I don't accept uninformed opinions. I tell them to read the book and if they still feel the same we can discuss the merits of this way of eating. Don't get into their traditional food pyrimid game!

Good Luck
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 11:03

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Exclamation

Quietly prove them wrong, and they'll end up joining you--happened in my office, could happen in yours!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 11:09

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

Just don't bother with them. Don't feel we have to defend this WOE - WE know it works and if they can't see it then it's them that's missing out. I think a simple, "go read the book then come back" approach may work. Ignoring people also makes them realise they can't wind you up any more.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 11:12
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Jannie is right. I was one of those people just 6 months ago until I saw how the people in my office were losing weight. Keep quiet and let them see the weight dropping off!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 11:17

Stats: 145/139/125 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

I have not shared with my co-workers the specifics. I just say that I have stopped eating starches. Today a co-worker gave me two home made cookies, I said thanks, then I went back to my desk, put them in my purse and will take them home to my daughter. Yesterday my husband stated"you've lost your double chin". This is big because that is what has bothered me most with my weight gain. Hooray!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 11:26

Stats: 213/201/170 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

I've noticed that people react very differently when you mention "Atkins" vs "low carb/watching my carbs/etc". Unfortunatley, the Atkins name has become synonymous with the High protein, high fat, 0 carb misconception that runs rampant in the low fat, high carb world we live in.

I usually just tell people I am watching my carbs and leave it at that. No one seems to want to argue that point.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 12:44
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

I simply do not discuss the personal aspects of my life with other then family and good friends. They have proven, many times, to be very supportive....and I allow them to query me at will.

The rest of the populace, I don't discuss anything with. Simple.

Best wishes to all;
Jake
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 12:54

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Amazing

It amazes me. They have not read the book but they are experts. Let's see you are eatting meat and veggies. How can that be unhealthy. I always tell them I have been doing Atkins for 17 months and I feel better than I have in years. Not to mention my test results are excellent.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 13:07
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I got tired of "defending" my choice. I now answer negative remarks with a question like "have I judged you on your choices?" and since the answer is always no (at work anyway!), they get the hint to drop it.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 13:11
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

As an uncivilized broad, I advocate a one-finger salute. Short of that, I refuse to debate my eating habits, and change the subject. I let my weight loss speak for itself, and have "converted" a few!