Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 06:34

Plan: Smart Carbs!
Stats: 163/133/125 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 79%
Question Other Fat Fast Menu Ideas...

Hi everyone,
I am looking for other foods that can be eaten on the Fat Fast for a relative... and I am afraid I am not that creative...mac nuts, cream cheese, deviled eggs..I don't know what other nice fatty foods I can recommend....I read DANDR...does anyone else have any creative ideas...Greatly Appreciated....
Thanks a Bunch!
Jess
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:29
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here's some...

Fat Fast recipes

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:36

BF:

Thanks a bunch Karen!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 18:20
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

It's also good to mix protein with a lot of mayonaise or cream cheese and eat some when you get hungry.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 21:38
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

One of my favourites is a (small) bowl of baby spinach leaves with a chopped hard boiled egg on it and 1/2 oz crumbled bacon. Dressing is 1 tb flax oil, and 1tb red wine vineagar and some pepper and salt. Sprinkle a tb of parmesan cheese on it.. you can add a little mustard and cream and seasonall to the dressing if you want to get gourmet and have calories to spare. All of the amounts are variable, just use fitday and calculate how many calories you WANT and adjust all of the ingredients.

Another is meat patties: mince a few portabellos and mix them with ground beef, cayenne, paprika, onion powder whatever else you want, then a couple eggs to hold the mixture. Form meat balls, or if you want to be exact fill up muffin tins and bake. I use muffin tins because I can calculate the exact calories per pattie. These are GREAT plain, with mayo and hot sauce, mushed with a little flax oil on top, or with bacon and some ranch dressing, OR (yum) as dumplings in some boullion. You want to keep it fairly simple for the fat fast though as you want to count your precise nutrient intake.

You can make tuna/salmon patties too with minced celery and egg. they're good with mayonaiise mixed with dill.

Cheese chips - you can find these in the recipe forums.

Baked potato mix: an oz of crumbled bacon with 2 tb sour cream and some chopped scallion. This is amazing.

Using a for mash one hardboiled egg with an oz of bacon and a tb of mayo and some chopped scallion.

***scallion is a good thing to add flavour as it doesn't have much carbs and is very tasty
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 21:44

BF:

wow, that sounds soooo good compared to other humdrum ideas in the book, thanks....I was wondering how long you do fat fasts for..and also what if calories are a bit higher...say 1400-1600...is that too much?...would a person still lose?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 22:02
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Meg, those ideas are good low-carbing foods, but they don't really jive with the guidelines of Atkins Fat Fast because the items contain too much protein. Here's the guidelines: Consume 1000 calories, at least 90% of which are fat. 15 grams of protein are allowed and 10 grams of carbohydrates.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 05:25
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I agree that my ideas have more protein in them than the recommended 10% so they're technically not the Atkins fat fast. When I did it I was concerned about muscle loss because I continued to exercise and generally ended up with 10-25% protein for the day. I may have gone 15% over but still had incredible results...the tastiness of the meals made it more bearable too, though one could argue that the point of the fat fast is not "good eating" but fat loss, there are factors in life which can make it hard to stick to a diet that you don't enjoy in any way. You can stick to the 10% protein rule by fiddling with ratios of ingredients in the recipes (obviously), and just use less of the protein part, and more of the fat. Sausages seem to have a good ratio of pro to fat. I'm not saying not to stick with the 10% or less though!! Just what worked for me.

Um, when you start getting up to 1600 calories you've left the "drastic measures" section of dieting. There were days in my fast where I hit it, because I stayed up too late and got a severe case of the munchies and if you're exercising a lot maybe it wouldn't hurt... but it kind of defeats the purpose. If you're eating a LOT of calories now you night might still lose fat but it won't be a fat fast. Aim for 1000-1200, if you hit 1400 one or two days in a week it's not going to kill the results. When you've finished the fast SLOWLY up the calories.. like, I don't know how many you're eating now, but if you're averaging 1100 on the fast, over a period of a week bring it up to 1600... and then use your judgement from there. Some people find 1500-1800 is their limit, others well over 2000. I have to keep it lower to lose.

Mm another idea, cream cheese stuff. I am staying away from any significant amount of dairy and aspartame this time, but there are so many things you can do with cream cheese! (cheesecakes, shakes with ice and splenda...etc)

take care,
Meg
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 05:36

BF:

thanks for your input Meg, helped me alot!!
Jess...