Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 05:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/119/108 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Exclamation The skinny on calories...

What is it? I know you "aren't supposed to count calories" on Atkins. But common sense tells me that if I eat 6,000 calories a day, I am going to gain weight. What TARGET range should I be aiming for?

Thanks bunches!!

Laura
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 05:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

There are differences in opinions but I think that eating 10-12x your weight in the beginning will result in weight loss. As you get further along you'll need to adjust to 10-12x your goal weight to be successful.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 05:34

Stats: 238/185/150 Female 5 ft.5in.
BF:
Progress: 60%

I too was wondering the same question.
Thanks for the info.
This site is so helpful
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 06:06

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%
Default I'm just repeating but...

This is right off the Atkins Center website:
Quote:
I'm used to counting calories. How many am I allowed on Induction?

The Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM counts grams of carbohydrates instead of calories. In Induction, you are allowed 20 grams of Net Carbs. When you progress to Ongoing Weight Loss, you gradually add carbohydrates in 5-gram increments as you move toward Pre-Maintenance, and finally to the Lifetime Maintenance phases of Atkins. Although you do not need to count calories, it is certainly possible to consume too many calories even if your carb intake is on target. If you are losing weight, there is no need to concern yourself with counting calories. However, if you are unable to lose weight or actually regain weight lost, one possibility is that you are taking in more calories than you expend through exercise, thermogenesis (the body's own heat production) and other metabolic functions.

Research has shown that on a controlled carbohydrate program, more calories are burned than on a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet, so there is a certain metabolic advantage to the controlled carb approach. But understand that this does not give you a license to gorge.

If you are used to counting calories and are more comfortable with such an approach, the general rule of thumb is to multiply your present weight by 10 to 12 to get the daily caloric range at which you would lose weight. For example a 150-pound woman who consumes 1,500 to 1,800 calories daily should continue to lose weight.

The real goal of the Atkins program is to learn eating habits that will enable you to permanently maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. This includes changing old habits such as overeating that contributed to your original weight problem.

Hope that helps!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 06:35

Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%

THis is interesting. Going by the 10 12 rule, I would need to eat almost 1800 calories a day and still lose weight. I cant eat that much!! I am staying around 1300-1400. Does that mean I will lose quicker or will my body go into starvation mode?? I am staying full and have plenty of energy. What do you think??
Donnie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 06:50

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Hey Donnie... I say don't worry about it. If you feel good and it's working for you, don't mess with it. If it ain't broke...
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 10:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 109/109/109 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi,
If your weight loss slows down try adding an ounce or two of cheese or a handful of walnuts. Both add calories without being so filling that you can't get them choked down on a day when you fill very full. Teens
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 12:11
Registered Member

Stats: 295/250/200 Female 6'0
BF:ugh!
Progress: 47%

OK, now I'm confused. I've been aiming for 10x my GOAL weight, not my current weight, and my loss has been very slow (slug-slow). I've been trying to eat 1800 - 2000 calories per day, usually I barely make it to 1800. Eating 10x my current weight would mean I need to eat 2800 calories? OMG! There's no way I could do it except to maybe stand in front of the frig guzzling cream (does not sound appetizing at all). Any advice?

Thanks, Athena
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 12:18

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

Same here Donnie..... According to this theory I should be eating approx 2000 calories per day. No way could I lose weight eating that much!

I generally eat around 1300-1500 calories except on occasion if we eat out or I have some extra high fat treats (e.g. sf cheesecake).

I hope I am not going into starvation mode either....but just in case once in a while it is good to add extra calories to mix things up a bit!

Froufie
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 12:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 217/209/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 10%

Keep in mind these are AVERAGES! Tell me a rule that works for everyone! However, NOT eating won't work. I imagine there are some rough boundaries to start with - like mentioned, but then for many it will have to be adjusted a little one way or the other.
After that - try it - maybe it does work - after all, we thought low carb was bad, right?
Traci
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 16:54

Stats: 416/369/185 Male 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 20%

I'm glad to hear that cause my current weight is 399 and I would have to eat upwards of 400 calories a day!!!