Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 16:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/229.6/200 Male 73 inches (that's 6'1)
BF:??%%/24.5%
Progress: 80%
Default Another Introduction

Hello everyone. My name is Brett and I have been hanging out in some of the other forums and only recently discovered the TDC so I thought I would post a brief introduction.

I started Atkins September 1, 2002 at the weight of 345. As of today, just shy of 11 months into my new life I have dropped 107 pounds. I know it's nice to see success stories so I thought I would share.

My success to date lies in these key points (YMMV):
  1. Exercise. I had to get off my butt and get moving. Slowly at first but picking up the intensity as needed. I am now to the point where I jog 3.5 miles a day six days a week and ride the stationary bike about 50-60 miles a week (10mi. a day 5-6 days). Plus I use a ton of other gym equipment. I have really become a gym rat, something I never expected. I have even joined a softball team, something I was always too out of shape to do even though I loved playing.
  2. Supplements. I take lots of vitamins. Some are probably not necessary, but get into the habit of taking your vitamins.
  3. Willpower. The strength to say to myself "don't eat that, you aren't even hungry". I was a bored eater. Watching t.v., get something to munch on. Sitting at the computer, nibble on this. In my nearly eleven months I can say that I only cheated once. Now I define a cheat as knowing it's wrong and eating it anyway. We all make mistakes, particularly when just starting out, and no matter what, cheat or mistake, DO NOT beat yourself up about it.
  4. Don't get frustrated when the scale stops moving. I just went through nearly two months with next to no movement and then the two months after that I have lost 16 pounds. Just stick to the plan and don't freak out over calories/protein.
I am currently 38 pounds from my goal although I may revise that goal down further. I NEVER in my wildest dreams thought I would even come close to my goal but there it is, within striking distance.

Set realistic goals for yourself. Frankly my goal was always the next 5 pounds. I never wanted to plan farther out than that.

So that is my story to date. I hope to be able to chime in from time to time and help answer any questions. It looks like a great forum and I wish I had found it sooner.

Brett
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 17:46
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

Welcome Brett and congrats on your phenomenal weight loss!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 17:47

Stats: 293/258/135 Female 5'5
BF:49%/??/??
Progress: 22%

Brett~
Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing your inspirational journey. I agree with all of your key points and am going to incorporate them into my life.

I've lost 30 pounds in almost six weeks and feel fantastic every day. Sometimes I think that I must not be doing this right because it is virtually effortless and painless........! Everyday I have a positive attitude and a lot of energy...and am not CONSUMED with where I'm going to go for my next meal. Thus, I have a lot more energy to focus on the important, fun, and enjoyable things in my life.

Thanks again for your story, I'll refer to it when I get discouraged to help me get back on track and remember what's important and what works.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 19:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 350/307/185 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:51%
Progress: 26%

Thanks for sharing. It is so nice to know that it really can be done.
I am one week into this WOL and so far I am doing well.
thanks for sharing your success.
REna
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 04:41
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Welcome! Looks like you found a path for personal health you could follow. A very inspirational achievement! Congratulations!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 05:58

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Welcome! Your weight loss has been awesome!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 06:50

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi Brett and welcome!

Your story is very inspirational, thanks for sharing it. I'm very proud of you and the changes you have made in your life. You are truly an inspiration!

Mary
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 07:05
Registered Member

Stats: 282/237/155 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Congratulations Brett..
Your weight loss is great.. It is wonderful to hear these success stories. Welcome to the group.. you are sure an inspiration. :-)
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 07:38

Stats: 323/291.8/220 Male 77
BF:34.0
Progress: 30%

Congrats Brett - Nice job!

Boy, I can relate with your habits, for a minute there, I thought I wrote it. You are doing a great job, keep us posted and good luck with the softball. Keep us posted

Kevin
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 09:57

Stats: 343/295/160 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 26%
Talking Congradulations!

Brett, that was truly an insprational story. I have been a little down lately about the diet, but that story really lifted me back up. Thanks!

Joni Y.
Little Rock, AR