Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 17:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/244/135 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress:
Talking I need some help...and am so excited to start!

I am very excited, I have decided to go on a 21 day challenge (from a success forum I am on) anyway, my challenge is to lose 15 lbs in those 21 days on Atkins, I was on this a year ago and hope it works as well as before!

I will be posting here a lot over the 21 days and may need some advice or encouragement.

The success forum I am on gives $1000.00 to the winner, and so far only a few people have signed up, so I have a chance, also it is not for diet it is for anything successful in your life.

Here are my starter questions:

I know Atkins is a bit slower the second time around, but if it has been a whole year or more should it be like the first time all over again?

This time, due to finances, there will be no sugar substitutes, I think that kept my sugar cravings up, any tips on getting through the first three days, that was the hardest for me last time, but I ate all sorts of sugar substitutes, which I don't want to go there this time.

Also, has anyone figured out how much (only for yourselves not including family) you spend on groceries per month for this WOE?

The challenge site I am on is mainly support for any kind of success there are great people there, many whom I consider friends now, and there is a section on Self Esteem which a lot of people need from time to time, I have posted this address there numerous times as I have been a lurker here, so it is only fair that I post their site. This site sells nothing! and it is not Spam or solicitation, take one look at the forum and it is just powerful support for success etc...does not take away from this site as it is not a diet site.

www.totallifesuccess.com - go to the forum section

Last but not least, I am 244 lbs, 5 foot 6, would like to be 135 lbs, how long would anyone suggest I be on induction phase for?

Thank you so much, and wish me luck in the challenge, anybody here is welcome to join too, it is sure motivating!!!

Cher

Last edited by cherylr : Sun, Jul-27-03 at 19:35.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 20:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200.5/192.5/150 Female 5'6
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 16%

hi, welcome,
I am a regular participant of this diet, I used to do it for a month then couldnt stand it, and so on , and so on. The very last time I did it was 2 years ago I lost 30 lbs in 3 months. This time not so lucky I'm going in week 7 and i've lost maybe 10. BUT last week , I cheated at my friends baby shower (ow) then next day back on the induction I have lost 5lbs. I think it may not be as fast, but still can be pretty fast enough. Drink water, water, water, and my big problem while I was stalling I was having alot of salt , try not too add salt or have salty anything it will help big time.

I also spend around 60 bucks a week on my food, the meat kills ya, and it feeds actually me and my bf. He's not on it but eats what i have at dinner . He's 6'4 and 190 so he doesnt need too lose lol. He got the good metablolism, I got the one from the amity...lol

hope this helps
good luck
devil

Last edited by devil03 : Sun, Jul-27-03 at 20:09.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 00:01
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power, low fat, low carb
Stats: 118/111/100 Female 5'6
BF:13%
Progress: 39%

Hello! I just wanted to drop you a note and wish you the best of luck on this! You sound very motivated... that is so very important when beginnine a new diet, without that it is near to impossible! Getting past the first few days.... hmm... that is what i've been trying to do, and it is very difficult for me because before I found this diet, I was one of those high carb, low fat, low cal dieters... so my body naturally craves carbs majorly! You'll get through it though, if you crave carbs just think to yourself, ... what food is actually GOOD ENOUGH to ruin this... the answer for me is none! Oh, make yourself a journal on this site, it is so great! I just started mine maybe a week ago, and people can come by and read your enteries, give you advice on your daily intake and so on... you can stop by mine if you'd like, it is under JessaLynn's Journal.

Good luck, Best wishes!

Jessica
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 00:04

Plan: low carb - PP and my own
Stats: 222/209/162 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 22%

Water, yes! Fat, yes! Some say 70% fat! Most keep the carbs very low. Have you discovered fitday.com yet? It has the free tools to calculate your carbs, protein, and fat, as well as nutrients. Probably a multivitamin. Eat salad! I'm spending at least $100 a week, for hubby and me, which I think is high, and I lose a lot of veggies because we can't eat as much as I buy. I think more frequent, smaller trips might be a better bet, or plan the meals a week in advance and use a list, instead of grabbing every allowable item on the shelves.

Lots of luck...yes, the 2nd time is slower, but some say you should be able to lose 10% of what your total loss should be during the first month...you have 3 weeks...but I'm guessing by the journals I read that most of the loss is in the first couple of weeks anyway...

So far, you've gotten very good advice. Do it naturally, now...you're body will cooperate...by the way, I thought I was addicted to carbs. I think it was just habit...I don't feel deprived at all. I'm rarely hungry, and my hunger has a different quality now...I'm no longer feeling faint and dizzy and ravenous. I just know it's time to eat. I can even cook now when I'm hungry. Before I was too ill to cook. I think that's from my blood-sugar dropping like a ton of bricks!

I'll let you read some others...best of luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 06:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200.5/192.5/150 Female 5'6
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 16%

another interesting fact. I work in a dollar store and we have TONS of choclate bars, cookies, candy , I thought I had no will power, this my 7th week and haven't had one bit of it!!!! I didnt think i could to it I shock myself lol.
Devil
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:18

Stats: 283/275/250 Male 5ft11
BF:
Progress:

I'm new here, but what I do is buy a log of beef (two 5lb logs sets you back about $10, $14 for leaner meat) add some cheese and worchestire sauce (about another $10) and salad (about $7) comes out to be around $31 a week for me. If you aren't into fancy cheeses (like blue cheese and prepackaged and cut cheese wheels), you can save even more.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 13:00

Plan: low carb - PP and my own
Stats: 222/209/162 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 22%

Cherylr, I visited the success forum...the way I read it, the prizes TOTAL $1,000 - each person who finishes gets a $25 savings certificate or bond, I forget which...if savings, it's a coupon to buy their stuff...the most anyone person can win is a $100 certificate. Caveat emptor!

How about these motivators? give yourself permission to spend $100 on yourself - get your hair or nails done...have a massage at a spa...buy a new item of clothing...
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 15:10
Contributing Member

Stats: 216/210/195 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 29%
Post answers

I know Atkins is a bit slower the second time around, but if it has been a whole year or more should it be like the first time all over again?

** It probably depends on HOW you do your induction and how much you have to lose. The more to lose = more loss up front. **

Also, has anyone figured out how much (only for yourselves not including family) you spend on groceries per month for this WOE?

** That depends on where you spend you money. I like to use my grocery card and coupons (if I have any) when I buy. Look for the best deal on meats. Chicken tends to stay cheaper than other meats. **

Last but not least, I am 244 lbs, 5 foot 6, would like to be 135 lbs, how long would anyone suggest I be on induction phase for?

** DANDR says you can do the induction phase for longer than 2 weeks if you want. Remember, the longer you stay on induction the faster you'll lose weight. **