Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 17:45
Registered Member

Plan: low carb in general
Stats: 288/282/160 Female 5'7
BF:toooo much!!!!
Progress: 5%
Default Diet Coke addict here!!!!!

Okay.... I totally understand that Nutrasweet is very bad for you. However, I am ADDICTED to Diet Coke!!! While I am doing induction, do you think it's okay to have one or two cans a day (yes, I love the ones WITH caffeine!!!!!)???

His,
MrsTU
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 17:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I wouldn't. You want to break the caffeine addiction if possible. If you do have one don't substitute it for your water. Make sure you get your minimum 8 glasses in! I was totally addicted to regular cokes before starting Atkins. I'm talking 5 or 6 a day. I quit them cold turkey during induction and now I don't crave them at all. Good luck!
Lori

Last edited by Lori H : Mon, Jul-28-03 at 17:57.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 18:55

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I am the same way, and I decided not to give up caffine. I did cut down to 2 coffees a day and 3 diet cokes a day. I know coffee causes cravings but I manage. This is not a fad diet, this is a way of life, and couldn't see myself not drinking caffein for the rest of my life. I may lose a tiny bit slower, but I have so much to lose that it will not make a big diff to me... But this is my opinion only..
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 18:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 246/240/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Its one of those things where caffine stalls some people, others it doesn't. I drink diet rite most of the time but do treat myself to a diet coke every so often.flutterbye
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 19:24
Registered Member

Stats: 167.5/163/115 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 9%

Why not have the caffine free version?

I haven't had caffine in (GULP) 11 years.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 20:32

Stats: 275/251/165 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Diet Coke/Pepsi

I was so glad to see that someone asked this question. I love Diet Pepsi! I used to drink it everyday with vanilla syrup in it. I have cut out the vanilla syrup and I am cutting down on how much I drink, but like some have said, this is going to be a life time change for me and I can't see giving up my Diet Pepsi or my coffee. I have been in touch with a coffee company and asked them to try to come up with low carb cappochinno for the machines at AM/PM and/or Circle K (which I know are their accounts - cause my sister works for the coffee company). I have also asked them to work on low carb flavored creamers... was told some of this is already in the works. YEAH I love my coffee! Decaf Dark Roast from Costco is the best! I can handle decaf diet pepsi too, but can't find it that was in restaurants and such very often.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 03:36

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

okay, i have a confession.i,m an addict too, hence the user name.i hang my head in shame.i live happily without sugar, potatoes, pasta and bread but without pepsi max and coffee?ummmmmm, just couldn,t do it.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 04:08

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

On Induction I went down to a can of diet coke every 2-3 days, it really broke my 'addiction' as I felt so much better after just drinking water. Today I've bought myself a 2 litre bottle of diet coke, TOM is due and instead of treating myself to a bottle of wine I bought the coke as a treat instead!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 09:38
Registered Member

Stats: 250/212/175 Male 5'11
BF:29%
Progress: 51%

Diet rite is a great substitue, plus it comes in flavors! Try it for a few days and dont drink coke at all!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 10:29

Stats: 244/217/140 Female 5ft. 5in.
BF:
Progress: 26%

I too am an addict. I went from drinking about 4 to 5 pots of coffee a day to 4or 5 cups in the morning, and occasionally one or two cups in the evening. It might make my weight loss a bit slower, but I figure it took me years to put this weight on, what is a little longer to loose it. Just my two cents worth. I can't imagine living the rest of my life without one of my favorite pleasures.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 10:33
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I have a Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi about once a week, but I usually drink Diet Rite cola.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 18:19

Stats: 198/189/140 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hi, I was a diet cke addict too. Probably still am. I mean if I started back on them I'd have to have about eight a day! The first time I tried to give them up I got horrible headaches. The headaches were so bad I could hardly go to work. Before I started the induction diet ( now in my second week) I weaned myself off of them. I didn't have the headached that way. Now I drink a ton of water! Once a day I treat myself to a Diet Rite!

hope this helps.

love to all of you!

Emerald
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 20:48

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I used to drink pepsi all the time and when I started the induction I tried the diet caffeine free pepsi and I had 1 in the first week then had another in the 2nd week and threw is out. It just tasted to sweet for me. So now my one and only beverage is WATER and I drink about 4 liters a day.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 22:48

Stats: 225/188/185 Male 6 feet
BF:28%/12%/5%
Progress: 93%

for every glass of diet soda drink one extra glass of water. I've read that caffine can hinder weight loss, but it stimulates brain activity. I myself need a diet coke in the morning during a lecture or a heavy research weekend. I never did get hooked on coffee thank god

as arie put it, make yourself happy and give yourself legal pleasures, because your on this WOE for ever!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 23:21

Stats: 250/248/160 Female 5'4
BF:BigBallaFat
Progress: 2%

I never slowed down on the Diet Dr. Pepper's, Diet Pepsi's or the Diet Big Red's. I think that my soda's are the one thing that helped/helps me get through this. And I don't think I could have survived induction without them. Now that I am done with induction, I am going to slowly work the caffiene free versions in during the afternoon hours. But hey, I can't start a day without caffiene, in the form of a Diet DP. It hasn't slowed my weight loss down any that I know of, but I don't know for sure. Maybe I would have lost more if I had quit the sodas. I guess I'll never know.