Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/254/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default It's YOUR New WOE!!

Just wanted to post this, cause I've seen so many posts about cheating, rules, "what-if's", etc. I just wanted to be able to re-iterate the convenience and adaptability of this plan.

I started Atkins in earnest on May 10th of this year at 248 pounds. I followed induction pretty closely EXCEPT for coffee and alcohol (I have a glass or two of bourbon almost every night). About a week in, I cut out the coffee, but continue with the booze.

I have stayed at induction level carbs for the most part the entire time, while introducing a few things back in...namely nuts and seeds (almonds, sunflower seed kernels, etc). I have even begun to eat popcorn at home occasionally.

Once a week or so, I have fried chicken and have been known to pop in a Hershey's miniature from time to time. Why, two days ago I had a 1/2 cup of REAL coffee icecream.

I said all that to say this: As of this weekend, I have lost 32 pounds in 11 weeks. Now, here is my opinion and my opinion only. The old adage of your mileage may vary is very true. If I considered any of my WOE a cheat, I'd be dooming myself to failure because of the guilt. I've done it so many times in the past. I have changed the way I deal with food.

I know that all of this is choice and the key is to find the balance. What am I willing to do? Am I willing to munch down on a 12" subway? Today I say no. Tomorrow? Who the hell knows?

So relax! Follow as pure an induction that you can...not only does it break the cravings and introduce you to a new way of eating, but it also will help your confidence and, excuse the dramaticism, "test" your resolve.

What helps me is to see all these people on te boards and the folks around me who have continued on this WOL. I've seen so many people lose weight, feel better and live longer eating this way and I want some of it. It does work. But it is YOUR life. Find the balance.

Okay...gotta get off the soap box now. Go eat some steak!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:07

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 195/180/165 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

ROFL!! Good point! Tonight I am goping out for dinner, and I am scared. BUt, maybe a slice of REAL cheese cke with crust won't be so bad. I'll regret it tomorrow, but WTF.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:46

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Buff,

I agree. To me this is a change in the way I look at food. When I started on May 29th this year I didn't go on "strict" induction. I ate nuts, low carb bread, and SF chocolates on occasion. Yeah, I only lost about 5 lbs the first two weeks, but as I only wanted to lose about 18 lbs, I think that 5 lbs was an appropriate amount. I treat this WOE casually but seriously at the same time. If I was too strict with my food choices my rebellious nature would take over.

I have not given up caffeine or Nutrasweet. I am not beyond "tasting" a half-spoonful of someone's special potato salad at a picnic or some special treat if I choose to. I do all this with the knowledge that my personal choices are within this way I deal with food. I have stopped binging on high-carb junk food for two reasons: 1 - this WOE and the supplements I'm taking help me to overcome the physical urge to binge, and 2 - I realize now that I can have treats from time to time and still continue on this WOE and there is no need for me to feel deprived and then over-react by binging (the psychological urge is gone). I accept the fact that I will not lose this weight rapidly and have no problem with "guilt" when I do technically "cheat".

I know I could probably have lost the entire 18 lbs by now if I had strictly stayed on induction and OWL, but those restrictions would have caused me to continue to binge. Instead I choose a way to eat that still allows me some "forbidden" food if I want it, with the knowledge that my weight loss may be a bit slower. But strangely enough, I'm now satisfied with low carb versions of these foods instead of the "real" versions.

So, the flexibiliity of this plan is that for some people the strict adherence to Dr. Atkins' guidelines is what works best for them, and for others, myself included, the flexibility allows us to do what will make us the most successful in this WOE.

I will add that last summer (my first time eating LC) and during this past school year, I attempted to follow the plan too strictly and denied myself the little treats. As a result when stress occured in my life I tended to continue with binges (real eating disorder-type binges, not just cheats), and gained all the weight back that I had lost. I have come to the realization that this is a permanent change in my life, not just a temporary "fix" to a weight problem. I have learned from my first experience with LC.

Joan
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 11:04
Registered Member

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 152/143/120 Female 5' 6"
BF:38%
Progress: 28%

In DANDR, Dr Atkins gave 2 case studies examples: 1 was the person who had a quick weight lost, whilst the other had a steady weight loss over a period of time. End results - both lost weigh though the timing differred, and they did according to their ability.

I believe one should go at one's pace but with commitment in mind. I know my weight lose could be more significant if I had prepared my own meals. But since I eat out for all my meals, I am at the mercy of whatever that is out there and I use my acquired knowledge of Atkins to judge what is best for consumption in the rules on mind.

Cheat and guilt is when I become glutton!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 11:18

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Talking

I'm with you, guys. I rarely eat anything not allowed, but sometimes I do have a bite or two or a taste or very small portion. I definitely believe that it keeps the binge-monster away. My WOE and WOL are still Atkins-based, nothing's changing that. Thanks for saying it!

#6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 11:41

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I think of LCing like the Marines.

First, you have boot camp. It's stricter than anything you've ever experienced. You have to tow the line or you're going to be scrubbing latrines.

Next, you get assigned your post. Still strict, but you get a little time off now and then. Make no mistake about it, though. When your free time is up you'd better be ready to get back to your post.

Now you've been called into battle. You're in the fox hole alone. There's no drill sargent to tell you to march in a straight line. You might not have to follow basic training to a "T", but you'd damn well better remember what they taught you in boot camp or you're not going to make it through the war.

Ok, so I'm not great at analogies. The moral of the story is....

You're in the battle by yourself so do it your way. But never forget the basics or you won't live to see victory.

~Angi~
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 13:58

Plan: fat, fat, fat
Stats: 225/212/160 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I think it boils down to people having very different approaches to the very same LC WOE. Some people feel the need for the very strictly defined "rules" and feel uncomfortbale with any deviation from those rules. (My husband is like this, and since he is a computer geek, I tease him that he's very binary in nature. He's on/off, red light/green light, B&W, etc. ) Others of us would go bonkers if we had to live by a set of rules 24/7 with no freedom to bend those rules without guilt. That's where I fall in the scheme of things. <g>

For me, the whole concept of "cheating" doesn't really exist. I either choose to eat strictly "on plan" one day, or I choose to eat something that I know is higher in carbs, accepting fully the consequences of my choice. I know myself well enough to know that in the next 40-50 years that I hope (intend <g>) to be on this Earth, I will *not* be willing to swear never to eat a bite of pie, or a cookie, or an Ethel M choccie ever ever again. So, I choose foods I know are best for my health 98% of the time, and I feel perfectly comfortable with the thought that I sometimes choose foods that *aren't* best for my health the other 2% of the time. It isn't "cheating" because I don't see this as a game or a test -- it's simply my life, and no one is grading me on it. (Well, all philosophical and religious issues aside... <g>)

I think the problems sometimes arise when the "binary" folk and the "free-wheelin'" folk forget that neither approach is the "right" one. Most of us do accept others' right to live this LC life as they see fit, but once in a while, defensiveness creeps in. Well, that's to be expected when you have so many people gathering in one forum, eh? I usually just back away and find a different thread to visit. <g>

Best to you all!
Lene'

Lene'
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 14:11

Stats: 164/135/140 Female 5 4
BF:28%
Progress: 121%
Thumbs up

So true, so true. Too much talk of "cheating"... let's ditch that word. In OWL I would have a piece of chocolate or whatever, & call it a cheat - but hey, it aint so! (Imagine if everytime you had a high carb snack if you bashed yourself calling yourself a cheater! Can you live the rest of your life that way?!) This WOL is all about finding your CCL, & if you can eat 50 grams of carbs per day & not gain, but maintain, then alright, you're great & not "cheating"!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 14:20

Stats: 252/230/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 25%

Great thread!!!! You are right, with cheating comes guilt, with guilt comes a sense of failure - and that is the beginning of the end for me! I am on strict induction, but it works for me. As long as I can have a big ole slab of beef, I am good to go. Not so for my partner. She is in a constant struggle to find foods she likes and does not tire of. But taking the initiative to do what you need to do is key to making anything successful. I like the way of thinking that eating something not on the plan is not a cheat, it's a frame of mind.

Thanks for the great post!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 14:28

Stats: 265/254/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 15%

...and that, dear LC'er's, is exactly my point.

I am a computer type person as well (granted as a Director, my guys say I'm really not anymore), but the idea that I have to spend my entire life in a box, not eating certain things ever is irrational.

For example, I SWORE that if my having a drink at night seemed to be detrimental to my weight loss, I would stop having those drinks. Why? Because I want to lose weight. It's the old 12 step saying, paraphrased, "If you want what we have and are willing to make the effort to get it..."

People here have lost weight and changed their life. So I need to listen to them. I can also adapt what they say to my personal WOE.

I'm just rambling now, but it just tweaks me when I hear (read) the desperation in some posts about sticking to the plan. EVERYONE has two weeks to spend and try something different...if you don't the plan isn't going to work for you any way, because you're not ready to lose.

...I need a Motrin...
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 17:55

Stats: 311/216/185 Male 5" 9'
BF:
Progress: 75%

Great tread ScareBuff. I must admit I don't like the word "Cheat". I like the word "Choice". This year I have chosen to take back my life and to do so I choose to eat healthier. I choose to exercise now and I make the choice not to eat those high carb foods. But if I do decide to eat foods not on the approved list. That is my choice also. No guilt. This is my diet and I will do what I need to do to win this battle.
Oh motis I really like your marine analogy. I was in the Army for over 10 years myself. Your speaking my language now.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 05:33

BF:

Well , folks I CHOSE to do it last night. Instead of the dessert withg crust, that I really planned on having, I opted for the garlic fried BREAD with marinara!! WOO HOO!! I enjoyed it as much as I would have any dessert. I checked the scale when I got home, and it went UP, as I knew it would. Drank lots of water. This am, the scale was back down. I knew (well, I hoped) it would be. Today, I am back to the regular LC routine. BTW, I still had the metal mouth going on after dinner last night, and still today, so I must not be too far out of sync. I did have BIG DOUBT about this, and what it was going to mean. But, I ate it, and did not want it anymore after it was gone. Oh, yeah, I even had CARROTS! Shame on me LOL
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 05:35

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Right on...no cheat here just yet...I have allowed some foods in on induction, but nothing beyond some sugar free candy, soy flour , and nuts
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 06:35
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Cheating is just a waste of valuable time. Time is most rare of the rarest...you only have a limited amount...no point wasting it which is what you do when you cheat....and of course, you only cheat Yourself!

I have NOT cheated since starting May 21st. I have lost 29.5 pounds in the past 10 weeks...3 pounds a week average....and did it without cheating.

Of course...the clean induction HELPED BIG-TIME to break the cravings...

Great Post Booze-boy ....Wish I drank still...if I did, I would want to party with you!

Best wishes;
Jake
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 06:55

BF:

<<<<<<<<<<<<runs crying to hide behind the tree, cuz he thought is was an OK thing to have a "boost" to get his body moving again.

I guess it comes down to what an individual wants from the WOL. Someone said that this WOL is an experiment. I have said that a person's body is their own. Did I feel a bit weird eating the bread and carrots? You bet I did. Am I going to do it everyday? Been there, Done that.