Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 08:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/145/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Silly question about cheating

I've been doing adkins since march and have lost between 15-20 pounds. it was slow at first!

my silly question is this: when i cheat, which is very rarely, i wonder if i should refrain from eating for the rest of the day or something like that, or should i eat another atkins meal as soon as possible. the way i look at it, my body is more likely to burn the carbs if I don't give it anything else to burn (although this may be false logic). On the other hand, that shot of carbs often makes me hungry, so if i do eat, i make sure it's high protein. but wouldn't that confuse my body? it would burn the protein and store the fat/carb.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 08:15

Stats: 210/190/150 Male 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Well when you cheat you should return to the Atkins plan ASAP.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 09:00

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

If you cheat with very high carbs, then that would raise your insulin level. I would suggest not eating for a while to let your insulin spike end before eating your Atkins high-fat diet again. Eating fat in a high insulin environment will result in the fat being stored as fat in your body, instead of being broken down into ketones as in a low insulin enviornment.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 09:33

Stats: 167/158/147 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groggy60
If you cheat with very high carbs, then that would raise your insulin level. I would suggest not eating for a while to let your insulin spike end before eating your Atkins high-fat diet again. Eating fat in a high insulin environment will result in the fat being stored as fat in your body, instead of being broken down into ketones as in a low insulin enviornment.

That makes so much sense, I have often wondered about that......if we eat high fat while "off" even for a day........it will in essence make us go backwards.......very interesting.
My question onto this post is........how long does it take for your body's insulin level to "un-spike" so to speak if I ate something really chocolate??

Thanks!!
Heidi
PS ALSO.........did someone say something about if you do your cheat within ONE HOUR of time it's not as bad?? What was that about?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:16
Registered Member

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 152/143/120 Female 5' 6"
BF:38%
Progress: 28%

Heidi
PS ALSO.........did someone say something about if you do your cheat within ONE HOUR of time it's not as bad?? What was that about?

Well, you lose your cheatfree badge then - don't have answer to this one but to answer the thread and responses in general, according to the DANDR book on page 245, Eating in the Real World: When Bending Becomes a Binge, (3rd para):

To stop a binge, your first responsibility is to know you're in trouble and immediately apply an effective technique. The best way I have found to do this is to take certain nutrients: chromium picolinate or chromium polynicotinate (400 mcg, 3x daily for 2 days); L-glutamine (500 to 1,000 mg, 3x daily); plus a single dose of Vitamin B complex (50 mg). At the same time, overwhelm the cravings by instituting a high-fat, high-protein, Induction-level regimen; fatty fish, poultry, meat, cream cheese, shake mix or diet soda with heavy cream. 2 days after you induce lipolysis and the secondary process of ketosis, the craving should be gone, you should once again be in control and the weight gained so rapidly during the binge should already be falling to its previous level. And congratulations, you just dodged a bullet. But I stress again, you must do this quickly, a day or two after you went astray - and not after weeks of bingeing.

Hope this helps.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 08:03

Stats: 160/145/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks to responders

Thanks, y'all. I happen to agree with Groggy60. I have not yet binged, only had tiny treats. Part of my issue is that I believe I'm allergic to wheat and any other grain in excess, so i'm not tempted to binge.

Thanks again, wilderlane
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 08:17
Registered Member

Stats: 170/156/145 Female 5"9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Intentional "cheat"

I've been in a stall so decided to have a refeed but moderately. I ate 2 pieces of pepperoni & cheese pizza last night, instead of my 4-6, and one breadstick. When I went to bed, of course, my stomach was growling and I couldn't fall asleep so I nibbled on some almonds and cheese.
I feel rather crappy this morning. How soon should I have shown any weight loss?
Also to answer siara28 about eating in that one hour. I was on CAD for 8 months and lost nearly 20 pounds. You stick to your low carb eating through the day and for dinner ( that was the meal I chose) you make it your feast meal. You still have to incorporate the proper amounts of food in this meal, i.e. 2 cups of salad, low carb veggies and meat then you can have whatever high carbs you would like. You have to eat this within the hour before the insulin is triggered. You can have the high carb foods with the meal, say some bread, or pasta, or baked potato and ice cream or cake, etc. It was alright for me the first time around but it wasn't the kind of lifestyle eating I could live with. I gained the weight back and more. Now I'm on Atkins and plan on making it my WOE.
I would like to see the scale change soon. I don't have much weight to lose now, but the jeans that fit for over a year are still calling to me.
SherylH
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 08:22
Registered Member

Stats: 170/156/145 Female 5"9"
BF:
Progress:

I should say the jeans that HAVEN'T fit for over year!