Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 20:52

Plan: CAD
Stats: 171/146.0/133 Female 5'4" and 1/4
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default How do you determine goal weight?

According to one of the online body fat calculators, I am at about 28% now, and 113-114 lbs is "lean body mass". So if my goal is 20% body fat...that would put my ideal weight at 142.5 lbs -- nearly ten lbs heavier than my goal! (114 is 80% of 142.5)

114/n = 80/100

n = 142.5

So...maybe that is why the weight is coming off more slowly? Because I have < 20 lbs to lose, as opposed to the 27 lbs I first thought? Admittedly, 135 is a number I pulled out of the air, because I've been down to the 140s and thought I could still have afforded to lose a little weight, but I also think I've gained muscle mass since then...Maybe I should just stick to a size. I think for my height (5'5") a size 5/6 in pants would be reasonable? Right now I can wear a 7/8 in some styles, and a 9/10 in other, more fitted styles. But this is in pants, usually low-riders, and most of my fat is in my abdomen/waist area, so in dresses I take a larger size, if I wore them, anyway. I can't stand the way I look like I have no waist

Last edited by Sango : Sun, Jul-27-03 at 20:53.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 21:36

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

For men, goal weight should ideally be at the point where body fat is hovering between 8% - 10%.

I have no idea what that should be for women; but, I'd wager your goal weight should correspondingly be at your optimal body fat percentage, whatever that might be.

Hope this helps....
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 22:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
For men, goal weight should ideally be at the point where body fat is hovering between 8% - 10%.

I have no idea what that should be for women; but, I'd wager your goal weight should correspondingly be at your optimal body fat percentage, whatever that might be.

Hope this helps....

I read somewhere that "ideal" for women is anywhere between 18 and 22, with athletes being closer to 15. I'm not sure where I'd want to be, but at 18% I'd be around 139. (114 being 82% of 139). 15% would be 134. Considering that I don't think I've ever been that thin, and I don't want to train as much as a professional athlete, that might be a little unreasonable.

Any suggestions from anyone on the "ideal" percentage?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 22:09
Registered Member

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 152/143/120 Female 5' 6"
BF:38%
Progress: 28%

Sango,

For me, I think our weight goal is a matter of our preferance - and one that is reasonable and within a healthy range. I judge my weight goal as to how I would like to see myself in clothes. At 5' 6", and of medium frame, I would like to see myself at 120 lbs. I have been at 115 lbs, and that looked really sick. Everyone thought I was aneroxic or bullimic!!

For a while (just a while!) I enjoyed my weight at 145 - 150 lbs - it filled up my jeans and spotted a J-Lo's kind-of butt and I felt simply voluptous and sexy. It feels great to be hugged too!!!

But I am thru' with that phase now cos I was beginning to tug my shirt off my body, and was feeling very sluggish.

That said which is just IMHO, there is no reason why one shouldn't go by the medical calculations if one is receptive to it.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 22:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/190/150 Male 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

where was this calculator?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 22:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amistad
Sango,

For me, I think our weight goal is a matter of our preferance - and one that is reasonable and within a healthy range. I judge my weight goal as to how I would like to see myself in clothes. At 5' 6", and of medium frame, I would like to see myself at 120 lbs. I have been at 115 lbs, and that looked really sick. Everyone thought I was aneroxic or bullimic!!

For a while (just a while!) I enjoyed my weight at 145 - 150 lbs - it filled up my jeans and spotted a J-Lo's kind-of butt and I felt simply voluptous and sexy. It feels great to be hugged too!!!

But I am thru' with that phase now cos I was beginning to tug my shirt off my body, and was feeling very sluggish.

That said which is just IMHO, there is no reason why one shouldn't go by the medical calculations if one is receptive to it.

120 sounds so low to me -- that's my sister's goal weight, and she is not quite 5'3". But we are all built differently. I'm of medium frame as well, but built like my dad, and good or bad I tend to put on muscle easily and keep it, especially in my legs and shoulders. I try to talk myself into enjoying the feeling of strength, especially when I'm helping people move or just working out, but I do sometimes really wish I could look a bit more willowy through the upper torso.

Anyway, best of luck reaching your goal!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 22:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin
where was this calculator?

http://www.getrolling.com/orbit/zoneCalcFemale.html

I'm assuming that this would be the one for guys:

http://www.getrolling.com/orbit/zoneCalcMale.html
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 23:53

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Sounds like you worked out your goal well to me. You have to remember that weight means nothing compared to body composition. With 114lb lean body mass, you will look much thinner at 142 than I do with, according to this calculator, 103lb LBM, for instance (since I'm always comparing our bodies ).

Size is what we're shooting for, not arbitrary scale numbers.

Also remember that these calculators are estimations at best. You will be able to feel out your goal weight as you get closer. Just keep eating right and don't sweat the details.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 07:07
Registered Member

Plan: my own design
Stats: 258/189/205 Male 6' 3"
BF:?/12%/15%
Progress: 130%

The body fat calculator at:

http://www.getrolling.com/orbit/zoneCalcMale.html

does not work. There is another one at:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/bfb
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 07:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamito
Sounds like you worked out your goal well to me. You have to remember that weight means nothing compared to body composition. With 114lb lean body mass, you will look much thinner at 142 than I do with, according to this calculator, 103lb LBM, for instance (since I'm always comparing our bodies ).

Size is what we're shooting for, not arbitrary scale numbers.

Also remember that these calculators are estimations at best. You will be able to feel out your goal weight as you get closer. Just keep eating right and don't sweat the details.

You're right, they are just approximations -- two other calculators put me around 30%. I guess I just decided to be optimistic and take the lower one I'll adjust my goal as needed when I get closer...