Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 17:33

Plan: Atkins 220.5lbs Jan 2007
Stats: 250/220.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/25%
Progress: 30%
Default Vodka

Hi. I thought vodka was supposed to have only one gram of carb...so I had a few shots of vodka last night at my birthday party , rather than drining something else. This morning, I checked my keto strips and I'm no longer in ketosis...... How many carbs does one have to consume to fall out of ketosis? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 17:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/185/165 Male 71"
BF:Too high, duh!
Progress: 66%

I'm not kidding here, Marie. Throw those damn strips away. They are only supposed to be used as a tool and I've seen too many people here push the panic button when it comes up negative or pink.

Use your scale as your guide, or see how your clothes fit, but don't base your progress on those totally unreliable sticks.

Bob
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 17:51

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Alcohol can SEEM to knock you out of ketosis because your body has to burn off all the alcohol before it returns to burning ketones. Alcohol may stall your loss not because of carbs, but because it is used as fuel (instead of fat) while it is being processed. Once the alcohol is burned you should be back in ketosis.

BTW, I agree with Bob. Those sticks give me nothing but a headache.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 17:52

I don't know, Bob. I mean, the sticks are an indicator of whether or not I'm in ketosis. I don't use the strips every day, but I was curious to see if the vodka would affect my ketosis, and it did. So the strips helped me, becasue if I hadn't checked I might have continued to think it was okay to drink vodka and I'd be throwing myself out of ketosis, all the while thinking I'm being a low carb angel...

#5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 17:55

Thanks for responding, Skamito. I know that our bodies burn the alcholhol as fuel, but I didn't realize that it would affect our ketosis. Okay, so it shouldn't take long for me to get back into ketosis... when I cheat on carbohydrate foods, it can take up to 3 days or more for me to get back into ketosis, which is a huge setback. That's all I was concerned about. Thanks for the input.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 17:59
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

There are at least 3 different types of ketone bodies, and Ketostix don't test for all of them. In my experience...if I don't get a glycogen load (at least 3lb overnight weight gain on the scale, for me, YMMV) or if I don't get carbo cravings, then I assume everything's all right. The test is my reference clothes.

Emily
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 19:00
Registered Member

Plan: Various
Stats: 196/172/154 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 57%

Ketostix only measure ketonuria (ketones in urine) rather than the true measure of ketones in the bloodstream (ketonemia). Ketonuria is only an indirect measurement of ketone concentrations in the bloodstream, and ketostix measurements can be inaccurate.

Don't worry too much about it. It's kind of overwhelming at the beginning but if you keep up with the general spirit of the thing (i.e. low carb, especially as low as induction levels) then you'll be almost certain to be in ketosis.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 20:48

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Everyone has explained it all to you so well but I just wanted to add a belated happy birthday to you.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 21:00
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

...it also depends on what "a few shots" is. Hate to be a killjoy, (Happy Birthday, BTW!) but I find that if I overindulge, rather have the modest amounts Dr Atkins allows, it DOES knock me back for a few days...
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 23:10

Hi, thanks for the birthday wishes!

A few shots was quite a few shots... people kept buying me drinks, and how could I refuse a birthday shot? Hehehe. I didn't get totally wasted, but I probably had about 6 shots of vodka, which is quite a lot.
I also find it interesting how straight vodka doesn't hit me as hard as a couple glasses of beer or wine. Does anyone else find that? I mean, at the end of the night I was still pretty coherenat, but if I'd had 6 beers, I'd be very intoxicated. What's the difference if it's about the same amount of alchohol? Do the carbohydrates get you more drunk?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 03:24
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieB
I also find it interesting how straight vodka doesn't hit me as hard as a couple glasses of beer or wine. Does anyone else find that?

For me it's the opposite. Vodka and whisky are way harder on me than wine. (I barely remember what beer tastes like anymore...) And in general, booze has a quicker and more dramatic effect on me than it did before LC.

Emily