Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 12:25
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Talking Thin Ice malt liquor ????????

I just heard a radio ad for Thin Ice, an alcoholic beverage that supposedly has 1 carb per 12 fl. oz. and NO sugars.
SO - I went to a nearby package store and bought one to see what it tastes like. The labels on the bottle offer no further labelling except 0 protein and 0 fat and 90 calories.
It really tastes great, kind of like a lemon soda with punch. In fact, it tastes too good to be true.
Anyone know if it really has only the 1 carb per 12 fl. oz. and no sugars???????????? IF SO, a summer without Pina Coladas and Margaritas just started looking waaaaay better.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 15:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/148/133 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Yummm. I'm gonna check it out. Does sound too good to be true but hey, I'm a sucker.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 15:28
Renaissance Man

Default Just found web site

it really tastes great...and it's made with SPLENDA!!!!
How about that folks. A drink just for us. It may be a little hard to find, I'm in Ct and one smallish supermarket didn't have it but a local liquor store with a HUGE beer selection did.
Wow, I hope it is truly what it says it is.

http://www.drinkthinice.com/about.html
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 10:49

BF:

Yay! I went out with my husband last week, and I tried to have a martini, because it was the lowest-carb alcoholic beverage I could think of. I COULD HARDLY CHOKE ANY OF IT DOWN. It was so NASTY. How did that drink ever become popular? It tastes like gasoline. I'm so glad that there's a no-carb sweet alternative. THANK YOU.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 11:02
Renaissance Man

Default Thin Ice

turns out it is made in Norwood, Mass., so it may not be available nationwide. I was concerned it was as sweet as it is but then found out it is made with Splenda.
Now, my only question is how much Splenda since Splenda supposedly has hidden carbs.
In any event, I bought two six-apcks so I at least have something to take to the beach or wherever we all go where my friends might be drinking beer and I'd be tempted to join in.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 11:47

BF:

You know, there are so many low carbers in the world today, especially in the US, that it's just a matter of time 'til there are plenty of beverages like THin Ice available.

Guess I'll just have to stay sober til then.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 11:50

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/145.0/135 Female 5'6
BF:23
Progress: 79%
Talking You Knew This Was Coming!

I'm glad you found a no carb drink for leisure, however, I must warn you that alcohol is the FIRST fuel that's burned. Your weight loss will be turned off during your consumption. Just so ya know. But unlike, cheat foods, it won't stall your progress. It will only stop while the alcohol is in your body. Cool? I'll drink to that!

Oh, before I forget. Martini's are an acquired taste. Have you tried a "dirty" martini? I love 'em, just not so often. You mix some olive juice in your shaker along with the dry vermouth and gin or vodka and wa-la! it's so SEX AND THE CITY!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 11:58
Renaissance Man

Default alcohol first fuel burned

SO - if I increase my gym workout to make up for it, I should be able to overcome the effect, right?
I'm not planning on a big splurge....just 1 or 2 bottles. That would be about 180 calories. If I burned an extra 200 calories in the same or next day, wouldn't I be back where I started?
I'm serious. For some reason, perhaps lost weight, I have more and more interest in going to the gym and now go mornings and night and walk a minimum of 2 miles each session at 3.1 mph......
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 12:03

Talking Why Not?

The more you workout, the more carbs your body can tolerate.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 12:13
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasert
Now, my only question is how much Splenda since Splenda supposedly has hidden carbs.

Don't worry. They almost certainly use Liquid Splenda in that drink, and only the Granular version has hidden carbs. If anything in Thin Ice stalls you out, it'll be either the alcohol or the calories.

Emily
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 14:37

BF:

Not to get off subject (well, actually, to stray just a teensy bit) did y'all check out what the cyclists on the tour de france eat? (You know, that incredibly grueling 2,000 plus mile bike race through the French Alpos AND the Pyrenees where they race as fast as they can for more than a hundred miles every day for a month?)

They eat carbs, carbs, carbs, and for a little variety, more carbs. Mostly simple carbs, too. Like, 6,000 calories a day of sugar. (They get a teesy bit of fat from the candy bars I guess.)

And those bad boys all have body mass indexes of like, 18.

So, you know that post, "the more you exercise the more carbs you can tolerate"? Guess she's right.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 14:55

Stats: 250/248/160 Female 5'4
BF:BigBallaFat
Progress: 2%

Thanks for the info about thin ice, I think I'll see if I can find it down here in Texas. I have been taking shots, usually vodka, when I go out to drink, and MANN!! that is harsh! Also a note about burning the alcolhol. I think it only takes a few hours to burn it off and resurme burning the fat, ie. one hour per one serving of alcohol. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 17:04

Talking Heeeey! Weeeee!

Froggiebro!!!! What cool name! That is so good to know! I drink dirty martini's now. I was (originally a wino), this is so great. No correction needed. I didn't think to calculate the alcohol in the bloodstream. Too cool for school!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 16:59

Stats: 250/248/160 Female 5'4
BF:BigBallaFat
Progress: 2%

Hey, frogs are the best, thanks! I think I'll try one of those "dirty" martini's next time I go out, I'll let ya'll know if they are palatable. I'm a MARGARITA drinker, so KILLS me to go out to eat where they serve alcohol cuz I want one so bad!! I know I can get the splenda sweetened drink mixer from atkins, but it's not the same making them at home and I'm wary of bringing my own around with me, lol. Man, there is nothing like a good old Down Under Margarita with an extra shot of Grand Marnier from the Outback Steakhouse. Boy, do I miss them!