Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 14:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/155/120 Female 5ft 7"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default is KFC chicken ok??

because i cant get the ingrediants as it is a "secret" do you think it would be ok because of what they use on the skin??? (during induction)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 14:55
Registered Member

BF:

and the answer to my question is nooooooo
grrr i checked their website and you can get what is in each food item....which i should of done before i prematurely posted.....
note to self: check first, ask later..

its full of carbs can`t be bothered cooking wanted the quick lazy alternative but looks like i am off to the kitchen to whip something up....*sigh*
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 15:01
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

Im sure in the Atkins book it says to avoid chicken in fast food joints because of the ingrediants that they use to coat the chicken, and I would say flour is used in southern fried chicken.(but dont hold me to that If you want to eat the chicken just remove the skin (just looked up a recipe for southern fried chicken and it does contain flour)
So I would say dont do it keep away!!

Good Luck
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 15:03
Yo-Yo

Hi again sarah I must have been chq web same time as you found your answer, cause you got your reply in before I got mine in (ah well never mind)
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 15:23

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I did log on to the KFC.com site. I needed a count on cole slaw-lol Much worse then the chicken.

OK a drumstick in original recipe has 4 carbs. So if you are ever forced into a KFC you could have maybe 2 pieces of chicken. Do they do a green salad? The one in Oregon had a buffet with greens and sides that would be legal(as well as lots of illegals!!) Anyway not the best choice -go for a burger.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 15:37
Registered Member

Stats: 283/275/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I work for the company that makes all of the kfc wings, and all of their boneless products.

Needless to say, the KFC chicken is something you definately want to stay away from! I can buy it at the company store, but cant anymore because of this.

*edit to add* oh, and we may make their other products at another plant, but my plant directly makes their wings and their boneless products.

Last edited by Spelly : Sat, Jul-19-03 at 15:40.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 15:49

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

The Atkin's book mentions that even "peeled" the chicken has carb problems...seems that one of the secret ingredients is sugar, which "soaks through" into the meat. Sad, really...used to be one of my favorite treats. I go to Boston Market now when I want fast-food chicken...much better carbs, and a veggie side you can actually eat! I know it's not the same as KFC, but not a cheat, either.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 19:01
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/169/150 Female 70 inches
BF:28/24.9/19
Progress: 37%
Default I Worked At Kfc

Two and a half years I worked at KFC. Ironically I was at my thinnest there because preparing the food kinda killed your appetite.

They do start with fresh chicken. The breading is: Bleached White Flour, Salt and the secret blend of herbs & spices. The chicken is wetted, then dipped in the batter so it adheres better.

Extra Crispy is wetted - breaded - wetted again - and breaded again.

I agree - taking off the skin probably does not elimanate the sugars.

If you can still find the rotisserie chicken that was whole fresh chickens with only spices sprinkled on them, then slow cooked for 2-3 hrs. I do not think that sugar was one of the ingredients, but don't hold me to it.

I agree wiith the other posting - Try Boston Markets or maybe even a BBQ place for Roasted Chicken - As long as there is no BBQ Sauce I was of the impression it may be alright.

I certainly hope so - BECAUSE HERE IN TEXAS, BAR-B-QUE IS A RELIGION. AND I AM CERTAINLY MISSING GO TO CHURCH!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 06:17
Registered Member

BF:

Hi lburnikell
Yeah I did post my own answer very quickly....reason being was that i was wanting to leave right then for KFC so i quickly posted the question in the hope someone would give me a quick reply but while waiting tried to find it myself and i did!
i avoided it settled for some leftover cauliflower and cheese instead......was tasty but it wasn't KFC lol
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 07:03
Registered Member

Stats: 283/275/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

BizzyGirl....

Not sure if it's changed since you worked at kfc, but now, their chicken, breading and all is made by a company called Simmons Foods. At my plant, we make the breaded tenders, boneless wings, and breaded wings and popcorn chicken.

I've been with the company for almost a year now and we've made them all since I've been there.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 21:48

Stats: 210/137/130 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Sarah

I deep fry my own chicken...Wash your chicken and leave the skin on...turn your deepfryer to at least 375 and drop your chicken in....no batter at all of course! It fries up crunchy and delish! Takes about 13 to 15 minutes for 1 breast...other parts do not take as long. I dip iot in ranch...m-m-m-m good! I them make coleslaw like KFC...1 cup coleslaw, a little carrot if you like(a couple pinches), mayo, cream and a little splenda...flavor as you like. I use enough cream so it is kinda juicy and soak some of my chicken in it when it is on my plate. It is not totally KFC, just missing the potatoes,corn,peas,desserts...and so on and so on
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 06:38
Registered Member

BF:

kontryhome-
Hi,
thanks for that, sounds good and I might give it a try....just have to get a deep fryer now hahaha!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 06:44
Yo-Yo

I like the idea of deep fried chicken I used to buy it at the chip shop unbattered dont know whny I didnt think of that must try it again
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 22:57

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Sara-

I just posted a fried chicken recipe tonight here in my journal:

Fried chicken post

Man, it's DARN good! I feel like I'm cheating when I eat it! Unfortunately it 's not fast food but it is pretty easy to make. And don't be put off by the pork rind breading-- I HATE HATE HATE pork rinds (even the smell makes me gag!). I was really skeptical when I first made this but TRUST ME they don't taste anything at all like pork rinds after you cook it. The first time I made it I hid the ingridents from my family (knowing it would totally gross them out if they knew). I told them what it was AFTER they ate it and they could not believe it! And they still want me to continue serving it. If you need a fried chicken fix this is the recipe!

Last edited by sunspine17 : Sat, Jul-26-03 at 23:02.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 08:53
Registered Member

BF:

sunspine-
thanks for that! i checked it out and it seems pretty easy to do i will definitly give it a try....i am not a great cook or very adventurous but your recipe seems so simple i think even I could manage it!

Thanks again, your stats are an inspiration, WELL DONE!